Re: Revolutionary War Info

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 18, 2006
      Try the various state Militia records. Also try respected histories of the
      area your ancestors lived in during the Revolutionary war period. Just
      because a person isn't listed in the DAR doesn't mean there aren't
      Revolutionary War records for them, it just means that none of their
      descendents have wanted to try to join DAR or have done the necessary
      documentation to meet DAR requirements or haven't been able to yet find the
      necessary required documentation for each generation back to that ancestor.

      And there are those (as one of my ancestors) who were opposed to war of any
      kind on moral grounds such as the Quakers who were drawn into it thru no
      fault of their own except being in the wrong place at the right time who
      ended up fighting to defend their family in even just one battle who would
      qualify for DAR Patriot status IF the documentation for each generation to
      that ancestor and that ancestor's part in the battle can be met w/the
      required documentation.

      Judy in MI
    • fplum
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2006
        I have a similar problem. I have two 5X g-gfs (Nathan HEALD and David WATT) who served in the militia during the war. The DAR has confirmed this. I even know their units. However the challenge that was issued to me was that every one of age was required to enlist in the militia, but that few of those units actually fought in the war. I have tried to Google their units with no success. Personally I feel that they still served even if they did not fight but it sure would be interesting to find out what they did.

        Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
        Researching the following Surnames:
        Wife's family: Hier, Jackson, Kebler, Roberts, Reavis, Weaver
        Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/