Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Revolutionary War Info

  • michelle miller
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2006
      Heritage Quest has records on Revolutionary War soldiers the only thing about that is you usually have to get it through the local library.
      Michelle

      klgbcwr <klgmc3@...> wrote: Hi! Is there any place on the web that has an index or database of all
      known Revolutionary War fighters? I've tried the DAR, but the
      particular people I am looking for were not registered with them. This
      does not mean that they didn't fight in the Revolution, however, so I
      am seeking alternate sources of information.

      Thanks!

      Kerry

      www.cyberconnectionscafe.com
      Social Tsunami: Real Stories of Riding the Internet Wave

      michelle davis miller

    • stubbytate
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 18, 2006
        http://www.americanrevolution.org

        www.myrevolutionarywar.com

        These two sites might help a bit :)

        Stubby

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "klgbcwr" <klgmc3@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi! Is there any place on the web that has an index or database of
        all
        > known Revolutionary War fighters? I've tried the DAR, but the
        > particular people I am looking for were not registered with them.
        This
        > does not mean that they didn't fight in the Revolution, however, so I
        > am seeking alternate sources of information.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Kerry
        >
        > www.cyberconnectionscafe.com
        > Social Tsunami: Real Stories of Riding the Internet Wave

      • Judy Ardine
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 18, 2006
          Try the various state Militia records. Also try respected histories of the
          area your ancestors lived in during the Revolutionary war period. Just
          because a person isn't listed in the DAR doesn't mean there aren't
          Revolutionary War records for them, it just means that none of their
          descendents have wanted to try to join DAR or have done the necessary
          documentation to meet DAR requirements or haven't been able to yet find the
          necessary required documentation for each generation back to that ancestor.

          And there are those (as one of my ancestors) who were opposed to war of any
          kind on moral grounds such as the Quakers who were drawn into it thru no
          fault of their own except being in the wrong place at the right time who
          ended up fighting to defend their family in even just one battle who would
          qualify for DAR Patriot status IF the documentation for each generation to
          that ancestor and that ancestor's part in the battle can be met w/the
          required documentation.

          Judy in MI
        • fplum
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 19, 2006
            I have a similar problem. I have two 5X g-gfs (Nathan HEALD and David WATT) who served in the militia during the war. The DAR has confirmed this. I even know their units. However the challenge that was issued to me was that every one of age was required to enlist in the militia, but that few of those units actually fought in the war. I have tried to Google their units with no success. Personally I feel that they still served even if they did not fight but it sure would be interesting to find out what they did.

            Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
            Researching the following Surnames:
            Wife's family: Hier, Jackson, Kebler, Roberts, Reavis, Weaver
            Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/