Revolutionary War Info

  • klgbcwr
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2006
      Hi! Is there any place on the web that has an index or database of all
      known Revolutionary War fighters? I've tried the DAR, but the
      particular people I am looking for were not registered with them. This
      does not mean that they didn't fight in the Revolution, however, so I
      am seeking alternate sources of information.

      Thanks!

      Kerry

      www.cyberconnectionscafe.com
      Social Tsunami: Real Stories of Riding the Internet Wave
    • michelle miller
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 17, 2006
        Heritage Quest has records on Revolutionary War soldiers the only thing about that is you usually have to get it through the local library.
        Michelle

        klgbcwr <klgmc3@...> wrote: Hi! Is there any place on the web that has an index or database of all
        known Revolutionary War fighters? I've tried the DAR, but the
        particular people I am looking for were not registered with them. This
        does not mean that they didn't fight in the Revolution, however, so I
        am seeking alternate sources of information.

        Thanks!

        Kerry

        www.cyberconnectionscafe.com
        Social Tsunami: Real Stories of Riding the Internet Wave

        michelle davis miller

      • stubbytate
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 18, 2006
          http://www.americanrevolution.org

          www.myrevolutionarywar.com

          These two sites might help a bit :)

          Stubby

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "klgbcwr" <klgmc3@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi! Is there any place on the web that has an index or database of
          all
          > known Revolutionary War fighters? I've tried the DAR, but the
          > particular people I am looking for were not registered with them.
          This
          > does not mean that they didn't fight in the Revolution, however, so I
          > am seeking alternate sources of information.
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Kerry
          >
          > www.cyberconnectionscafe.com
          > Social Tsunami: Real Stories of Riding the Internet Wave

        • Judy Ardine
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 18, 2006
            Try the various state Militia records. Also try respected histories of the
            area your ancestors lived in during the Revolutionary war period. Just
            because a person isn't listed in the DAR doesn't mean there aren't
            Revolutionary War records for them, it just means that none of their
            descendents have wanted to try to join DAR or have done the necessary
            documentation to meet DAR requirements or haven't been able to yet find the
            necessary required documentation for each generation back to that ancestor.

            And there are those (as one of my ancestors) who were opposed to war of any
            kind on moral grounds such as the Quakers who were drawn into it thru no
            fault of their own except being in the wrong place at the right time who
            ended up fighting to defend their family in even just one battle who would
            qualify for DAR Patriot status IF the documentation for each generation to
            that ancestor and that ancestor's part in the battle can be met w/the
            required documentation.

            Judy in MI
          • fplum
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 19, 2006
              I have a similar problem. I have two 5X g-gfs (Nathan HEALD and David WATT) who served in the militia during the war. The DAR has confirmed this. I even know their units. However the challenge that was issued to me was that every one of age was required to enlist in the militia, but that few of those units actually fought in the war. I have tried to Google their units with no success. Personally I feel that they still served even if they did not fight but it sure would be interesting to find out what they did.

              Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
              Researching the following Surnames:
              Wife's family: Hier, Jackson, Kebler, Roberts, Reavis, Weaver
              Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/