Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Paperwork

  • April Payne
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2006
      I have done my best to source the information I have, just to know I've got the right family and information. There is also another reason to source your information. Birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc. all can give you valuable information you might not have. A lead on that missing family member, the name of a great-grandparent. If there is a dispute, having the actual source or multiple sources might help sort things out.

      I always print off the census sheet offered to me through Geneaology.com or Ancestry.com.. It's also nice to have the hardcopy to return to, especially the census pages, since there is so much to be gleaned from that one source.

      As I can, I will also send off for records to help validate my family tree. I've already seen mistakes relatives have made on trees they've posted, and since I'm not in contact with them, unfortunately, I need other sources to help me correct the errors.
      (Both people had my grandfather's date of birth and year especially, off by ten years!)

      april

      stubbytate <stubbytate@...> wrote:
      It's pretty important to me as I'm a stickler for getting things as
      accurate as I can.

      I'm not obsessive about it, mind you, as the nearly 2000 names I have
      in my tree so far are mostly hobby and it's been quite an adventure
      gathering the ones I do have. But it's too loopy so I know there are
      some mistakes from the sources I've used on the internet. That's
      when I take one family at a time and try to back up the information
      with census data and anything I can find at the library. I've been
      very fortunate to have a few relatives (even ones I've just recently
      met) have even more information and documentation to carry on the
      authentication process.

      Again, I agree it depends on your level of interest (hobbiest or
      maybe going for a genealogist certification).

      Stubby

      Recent Activity

      10
      New Members