Need interview questions

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 27, 2006
      Just thought I would throw this out to all of you. My family is
      having a 90th birthday party for my husband's grandma this weekend.
      His family is making up a journal book in the hopes to get some family
      history. I have tried questions before in person and didn't get much.
      I am hoping this journal will be more to her liking. I have many
      dates and names but want family stories!!!

      Do you have any suggestions on questions to put in this journal?

      I have already suggested:
      1. Her first date
      2. Her wedding
      3. Her boat trip here from Holland when she was a teenager.
      4. Stories about her husband who passed away
      5. Stories about grandparents

      Any other suggestions?

      Tina
    • Susan Ball
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2006
        Hi Tina,

        My Grandmother was a teacher and I was told some wonderful stories when I
        asked her what it was like in her 'day and age' to attend college and have a
        career (from the perspective of being a woman when college and career's
        weren't so common). If your husband's grandma didn't do those things I
        still think it would be great to ask about the career she did have - raising
        a family. Stories about the Great Depression and WW's are good too.

        Have fun!
        Susan

        On 9/27/06, Tina Stedman <tolksteel@...> wrote:

        > Just thought I would throw this out to all of you. My family is
        > having a 90th birthday party for my husband's grandma this weekend.
        > His family is making up a journal book in the hopes to get some family
        > history. I have tried questions before in person and didn't get much.
        > I am hoping this journal will be more to her liking. I have many
        > dates and names but want family stories!!!
        >
        > Do you have any suggestions on questions to put in this journal?
        >
        > I have already suggested:
        > 1. Her first date
        > 2. Her wedding
        > 3. Her boat trip here from Holland when she was a teenager.
        > 4. Stories about her husband who passed away
        > 5. Stories about grandparents
        >
        > Any other suggestions?
        >
        > Tina

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • stubbytate
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2006
          Well, what you're all looking for is to glean as much info as
          possible in a short time. So you'll need to word your questions
          differently that might get her thinking on other trains of thought as
          well (I'd DEFINITELY have a recording device handy).

          You'll want her to recall any family who served in the military and
          what they did before they went in and what they did after they came
          out. (this will give you migratory patterns and open up cans of
          worms - meaning it will probably create either more lines or it might
          uncover a relative you didn't know about, thus creating yet another
          brick wall for you!)

          When she travelled to Holland, what was her very first impression?
          What foods did she eat? Where did she visit? Why was she there and
          why didn't she stay? Would she go there again? Does she have any
          lasting friendships from her time there? Did she collect anything
          while there?

          Ask her what it was like to date? What did her family think of her
          boyfriends (suitors)?

          Can she remember any particular hobby that a relative had that was
          unusual or that caught her attention? Did she

          What jobs has she had? Did she like them or not? Did she go to
          college?

          Where was she baptised and how? What church?

          Did she keep a diary or journal? What kinds of things did she write
          in it? Does she still have it?

          Pictures....don't forget pictures...she might be able to help you
          identify some folks. And don't forget to ask her if she has any
          she's willing to share.

          What did she see when she looked out her bedroom window? I asked my
          mother this and was surprised by the answer.

          Did anyone in the family ever sleepwalk and were there any funny
          moments that stick out in her mind?

          What's her favorite flavor of ice cream?

          Stubby

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
          <tolksteel@...> wrote:

          > Just thought I would throw this out to all of you. My family is
          > having a 90th birthday party for my husband's grandma this weekend.
          > His family is making up a journal book in the hopes to get some
          family
          > history. I have tried questions before in person and didn't get
          much.
          > I am hoping this journal will be more to her liking. I have many
          > dates and names but want family stories!!!
          >
          > Do you have any suggestions on questions to put in this journal?
          >
          > I have already suggested:
          > 1. Her first date
          > 2. Her wedding
          > 3. Her boat trip here from Holland when she was a teenager.
          > 4. Stories about her husband who passed away
          > 5. Stories about grandparents
          >
          > Any other suggestions?
          >
          > Tina

        • Tina Stedman
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2006
            We are not asking her these questions now. I have tried that in the
            past and got no where. She was a teenager when she immigrated from
            Holland to the US and she told me "I remember nothing". Now one of
            the second cousins asked her a few questions for a school project and
            did much better than me. Maybe she doesn't like me!!! Anyways, we
            are going to write the questions in a journal presenting it to her as
            a gift to all of us and she can fill it out over the next few months.
            She will be too overtaxed at her party to do much of anything. There
            will be over a hundred people at this party with children/spouses,
            grandchildren/spouses, great grandchildren/spouses, and great great
            grandchildren!!

            Tina

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "stubbytate"
            <stubbytate@...> wrote:

            > Well, what you're all looking for is to glean as much info as
            > possible in a short time. So you'll need to word your questions
            > differently that might get her thinking on other trains of thought as
            > well (I'd DEFINITELY have a recording device handy).
            >
            > You'll want her to recall any family who served in the military and
            > what they did before they went in and what they did after they came
            > out. (this will give you migratory patterns and open up cans of
            > worms - meaning it will probably create either more lines or it might
            > uncover a relative you didn't know about, thus creating yet another
            > brick wall for you!)
            >
            > When she travelled to Holland, what was her very first impression?
            > What foods did she eat? Where did she visit? Why was she there and
            > why didn't she stay? Would she go there again? Does she have any
            > lasting friendships from her time there? Did she collect anything
            > while there?
            >
            > Ask her what it was like to date? What did her family think of her
            > boyfriends (suitors)?
            >
            > Can she remember any particular hobby that a relative had that was
            > unusual or that caught her attention? Did she
            >
            > What jobs has she had? Did she like them or not? Did she go to
            > college?
            >
            > Where was she baptised and how? What church?
            >
            > Did she keep a diary or journal? What kinds of things did she write
            > in it? Does she still have it?
            >
            > Pictures....don't forget pictures...she might be able to help you
            > identify some folks. And don't forget to ask her if she has any
            > she's willing to share.
            >
            > What did she see when she looked out her bedroom window? I asked my
            > mother this and was surprised by the answer.
            >
            > Did anyone in the family ever sleepwalk and were there any funny
            > moments that stick out in her mind?
            >
            > What's her favorite flavor of ice cream?
            >
            > Stubby
            >
            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Stedman"
            > <tolksteel@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Just thought I would throw this out to all of you. My family is
            > > having a 90th birthday party for my husband's grandma this weekend.
            > > His family is making up a journal book in the hopes to get some
            > family
            > > history. I have tried questions before in person and didn't get
            > much.
            > > I am hoping this journal will be more to her liking. I have many
            > > dates and names but want family stories!!!
            > >
            > > Do you have any suggestions on questions to put in this journal?
            > >
            > > I have already suggested:
            > > 1. Her first date
            > > 2. Her wedding
            > > 3. Her boat trip here from Holland when she was a teenager.
            > > 4. Stories about her husband who passed away
            > > 5. Stories about grandparents
            > >
            > > Any other suggestions?
            > >
            > > Tina

          • Judy Floyd
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27, 2006
              They sound like great questions, I especially like the
              one about Holland, my own grandfather immagrated from
              Sweden. If she is like some the older folks that I
              have talked to she won't be quick to answer direct
              questions. You can cheat, I do. I send the youngest
              of our children (12, 13) or our oldest granddaughter
              (5) over to them. They just ask them if they really
              did such and such or what was it like when and walah
              they start talking and you can't couldn't get them to
              stop if you wanted them to, which you don't. Also you
              could try sneaking a recorder somewhere so that you
              don't miss anything.

              Judy

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Peakcat@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 28, 2006
                Tina:

                You might also try asking her about her parents and any schooling she had in
                Holland and what the difference was between there and the U.S. Also, did she
                come here by herself or with family? Sometimes when you get someone talking,
                they forget about anything at the moment but what is around them and be ready
                to write some notes either while she is talking or when you get home. Good
                luck.

                Ina Getzoff
                Peakcat@...