Re: [Genealogy Research Club] look up help

  • Susan Ball
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 26 5:09 AM
      Hello Thorton,

      I'm happy to look them up for you. I'll do it later today.

      Susan

      On 9/25/06, tfw4321 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > I went back to my Bradley line, attempting to prove the questionable
      > link in the family tree done in the 60's by some aunts. I some one
      > with ancestry access could look up on the Conneticut 1840 and 1850
      > census, Noyes Bradley. How many are there? I know of 3 but can not
      > find them. They are all related. any help would be great. Thornton
      > White

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • kate
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 26 5:32 AM
        hi-

        I went through the 1840 and 1850 census on Heritage Quest and looked at Woodbridge, New Haven, and didn't find a Noyes Bradley, there were quite a few Bradleys, but no Noyes. I did find a Noyes in 1860 in New Haven who was a farm laborer, he was about 53 I think.

        I did find this family tree on Rootsweb:
        http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=aleaton2k3&id=I36230

        If you know the town they were from, I can try again.
        peace
        Kate
        tfw4321 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I went back to my Bradley line, attempting to prove the questionable
        link in the family tree done in the 60's by some aunts. I some one
        with ancestry access could look up on the Conneticut 1840 and 1850
        census, Noyes Bradley. How many are there? I know of 3 but can not
        find them. They are all related. any help would be great. Thornton
        White

      • Stephanie Berg
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 26 7:33 AM
          I did a quick look on ancestry.com and found the following.

          1840 Middlebury, New Haven County, CT
          Noyes BRADLEY 1male 5-10; 1 male 20-30; 1 male 40-50; 1 female under 5; 1 female 5-10; 1 female 20-30; 1 female 30-40

          1850 Census - could not find on this census in CT

          Connecticut Town Birth Records pre-1870, Barbour Collection
          BRADLEY, Noyes of Middlebury, m. Sarah Twitchell, of Middlebury, Sept 22,1850 by
          Rev. Joseph Scott of Naugatuck. page: 66&138
          Noyes, farmer, b. in Oxford, d. Oct 1,1850 aged 56 page: 58-9

          BRADLEY, Noyes, s. [Benjamin & Eunice] b. May 17,1794 Vol. 2 Pg. 51
          Noyes m. Mrs. Nancy RIGGS, b. of Oxford, Mar 1, 1827
          by Nathaniel G. HUNTINGTON Vol. 1 Pg. 26

          1860 Census
          Naugatuck, New Haven Co.,CT

          Sarah BRADLEY 42
          Charles 28
          Noyes 18 b. abt. 1842 CT
          Henry 9
          Elizabeth HULL 56

          1860 Census
          Woodbridge, New Haven, Co., CT

          Hanna H. NEWTON 51 F Farmer
          Noyes BRADLEY 53 M Farm Laborer

          Not sure if this helps or confuses you more :-)

          If you would like to see the records themselves, email me off list and I will try to send them to you.
          Happy Hunting!
          Stephanie

          tfw4321 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          I went back to my Bradley line, attempting to prove the questionable
          link in the family tree done in the 60's by some aunts. I some one
          with ancestry access could look up on the Conneticut 1840 and 1850
          census, Noyes Bradley. How many are there? I know of 3 but can not
          find them. They are all related. any help would be great. Thornton
          White

        • Judi Hardin
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 26 7:57 AM
            I hate bumping into those brick walls.

            John Boston was the oldest brother of my gg-grandfather Jacob Boston. I
            thought he'd died before 1880, because I couldn't find him in the census
            anywhere, then up popped info that he'd died in the Civil War Soldiers Home
            in Dayton Ohio. This is now a modern VA hospital. Once I knew where to
            look for him, I found him in the census--1900 and 1910, I think--where he's
            shown as a widower. Well, he wasn't married in 1870, so sometime between
            1870 and 1900 he got married. Who to and where? Did he have children? The
            rest of his family at this time is in Indiana, until the parents died, when
            Jacob and his wife went to live near her family in Missouri. So where is
            John? Jacob served in an Indiana regiment--did John serve in an Indiana
            regiment or an Ohio one? Did he go back to Ohio? (The family moved from
            Ohio to Indiana between 1850 and 1860 if I remember correctly.) And if so,
            why? Are there Boston relations in Ohio? I can't find any information on
            the family of John and Jacob's father, William, so I don't have a clue.
            William died before the state of Indiana kept death records, and the
            Huntington Co. Genealogical Society hasn't been able to find anything that
            might have some clues like an obituary (and I'm not sure what kind of
            information went into obituaries in the 1880s--some of them just say "Mr.
            So-and-So died at his home Saturday inst. after a short illness. His loss
            will be felt by all." Which gives you the date of his death, but not much
            else). I've sent a note of inquiry to the historical division of the Dayton
            home by e-mail but received no reply; maybe I'll try an actual paper letter
            next. Or a phone call.

            Then there's the Browns. The Browns came into Missouri from Kentucky. My
            direct ancestor (another gg-grandfather) died before either the state or the
            county began keeping death records, but his younger brother died in 1928 in
            the Higginsville Confederate Soldiers Home in Lafayette Co. There should be
            a death certificate for him, but I've searched the on-line State of Missouri
            death certificate database and can't find him. I can find his wife, who
            also died in the Higginsville home, but I can't find him. His name was
            Alexander Richard, and I've seen him in census records as Alex and once as
            Richard H! He's buried in the HCSH cemetery as Alex R. according to
            Interment.net. I really need to find his death certificate since it would
            (I hope) have his mother's maiden name on it. I guess I'll write to the
            Western Missouri Genealogical Society (Lafayette County doesn't seem to have
            one of its own) and see if they can provide me with any info, and also
            contact the State of Missouri vital records office and see if they can find
            what I can't.

            If you listen hard, you can hear me bonking my head against that wall...

            Judi Hardin
            msjh@...

            The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates
          • fish972002
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 26 9:03 AM
              In the 1840 Census for Connecticut, New Haven, Middlebury I found one
              Noyes Bradley with one male at age 5 to under 10, one male at age 20
              to under 30, and one male at age 40 to under 50. Females, one under
              five, one at age 5 to under 10, one at age 20 to under 30 and one at
              age 30 to under 40.
              Source 1840 census roll 28 page 243

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, tfw4321 <no_reply@...>
              wrote:

              > I went back to my Bradley line, attempting to prove the questionable
              > link in the family tree done in the 60's by some aunts. I some one
              > with ancestry access could look up on the Conneticut 1840 and 1850
              > census, Noyes Bradley. How many are there? I know of 3 but can not
              > find them. They are all related. any help would be great. Thornton
              > White

            • back2rroots
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 9, 2010
                I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great
                great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes
                might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.
                They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It
                is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only
                other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia
                like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after
                1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to
                1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.

                Tara Gandy Sanford

              • Bloodhound; Kermit
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 9, 2010
                  Tara -

                  You didn't specify precisely - is this the right family?

                  1880 Rockdale, GA
                  Jones, Jef/35:GA, Caroline/37:GA:GA:GA, William/17, Henry/11

                  - Tom Knox

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@...> wrote:

                  > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great
                  > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes
                  > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.
                  > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It
                  > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only
                  > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia
                  > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after
                  > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to
                  > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                  >
                  > Tara Gandy Sanford

                • back2rroots
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 10, 2010
                    Yes that is the correct family in the 1880 census. But I can not find them in 1870.

                    Tara

                    From: "Bloodhound; Kermit" <tomknox2001@...>
                    Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: look up help: Jefferson & Caroline JONES (in GA)
                    Date: August 9, 2010 3:35:18 PM EDT
                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                    Tara -�

                    You didn't specify precisely - is this the right family?�

                    1880 Rockdale, GA�
                    Jones, Jef/35:GA, Caroline/37:GA:GA:GA, William/17, Henry/11�

                    - Tom Knox�

                    --- In�genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@...> wrote:

                    > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great�
                    > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes�
                    > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.�
                    > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It�
                    > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only�
                    > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia�
                    > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after�
                    > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to�
                    > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                    >�
                    > Tara Gandy Sanford
                    >�

                    Tara Gandy-Sanford
                    Back2rRoots@...
                    Genealogist in Training

                  • Willie Zuckerwhat
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 10, 2010
                      Hello Tara Gandy Sanford,

                      Tara, Do you know where they lived? You may have to go page by page online,
                      Microfilm or Microfische to find them.
                      This a possible way:
                      *HeritageQuest Online*
                      *Jefferson and Caroline Jones (Possibility)*
                      1870<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/browse?selection=year&year=1870&yearid=9>
                      > GEORGIA<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/browse?selection=state&year=1870&yearid=9&state=GA&stateid=12>
                      > MUSCOGEE<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/browse?selection=county&year=1870&yearid=9&state=GA&stateid=12&countyid=1026>
                      > COLUMBUS P O Series: M593 Roll: 167 Page: 756[image: Previous Page]<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/results/image?surname=Jones&givenname=Jefferson&series=9&state=12&countyid=1026&hitcount=1&p=1&urn=urn%3Aproquest%3AUS%3Bcensus%3B1461414%3B-1%3B9%3B12&searchtype=1&offset=0&threadtype=p>[image:
                      Next Page]<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/results/image?surname=Jones&givenname=Jefferson&series=9&state=12&countyid=1026&hitcount=1&p=1&urn=urn%3Aproquest%3AUS%3Bcensus%3B1461416%3B-1%3B9%3B12&searchtype=1&offset=0&threadtype=p>
                      SurnameGivenNameAgeSexRaceBirthplaceStateCountyLocationYear JONESJEFFERSON
                      45MBGAGAMUSCOGEECOLUMBUS P O1870

                      Good Luck.
                      Willie Z...........

                      On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:26 AM, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@...> wrote:

                      > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great
                      > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes
                      > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.
                      > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It
                      > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only
                      > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia
                      > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after
                      > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to
                      > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                      >
                      > Tara Gandy Sanford

                      *Mit freundlichen Gr�ssen*

                      *William Zuckschwerdt*
                      (Wilhelm, Villie or Willie Zuckerwhat) *online status only
                      *
                      Born to Genealogize!!!!!! (Getragen, Genealogieoze zu tun!!!!!!)
                      "You found WHO in your family tree." ("Sie fanden WHO in Ihrem Stammbaum.�)
                      I use to have a life, then I started to chase my ROOTS! (Ich pflege, um eine
                      Lebensdauer zu haben, dann begann ich, meine WURZELN zu jagen!)
                      #11: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's genealogy! Aye

                    • lobsterjesus
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 10, 2010
                        Hi Tara,

                        This often happens to me in my research. I also find that I'll have found my ancestors in one census, and then again TWO censuses later...but can't find them in the intervening census record.

                        Be advised that when you look through Ancestry, it is indexing census records based on what someone thinks was written down on the page. And, many pages of these records were not well kept for, or the penmanship was poor. I've found that my ancestors were indexed with all kinds of weird nonsense names on certain censuses on Ancestry.

                        I would recommend looking at the 1880 census for your ancestors, and printing that page out. On that page, you will see info on the top, like Ward, District, Voting Region, County, Township, etc. Pay attention to those numbers. There may even be a street name scribbled on the left side of the page.

                        Now, go to the 1870 Census for Georgia, and use the pull down menus (this can all be found in the Card Catalog section). Then, the pull down menus may have a section for the Ward or District of that County or City. Open up that section that matches the info you have for 1880.

                        Now, grab a cup of coffee, and click through each and every page of that district...it's probably anywhere between 10 and 40 pages. You might be able to find your ancestors this way, and discover that they were improperly indexed by the folks at Ancestry...again, due to poor copy quality or poor penmanship of the census taker.

                        Good luck!

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@...> wrote:

                        > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great
                        > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes
                        > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.
                        > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It
                        > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only
                        > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia
                        > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after
                        > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to
                        > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                        >
                        > Tara Gandy Sanford

                      • sherry oakes
                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 10, 2010
                          I found a Jefferson and Carpline Jones in the 1880 census living in  Union county arkansas childre were Hally,Rosa,John,Mollie  hope this helps
                          Tara, Do you know where they lived? You may have to go page by page online,
                          Microfilm or Microfische to find them.
                          This a possible way:
                          *HeritageQuest Online*
                          *Jefferson and Caroline Jones   (Possibility)*
                            1870<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/browse?selection=year&year=1870&yearid=9>
                          >  GEORGIA<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/browse?selection=state&year=1870&yearid=9&state=GA&stateid=12>
                          >  MUSCOGEE<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/browse?selection=county&year=1870&yearid=9&state=GA&stateid=12&countyid=1026>
                          >  COLUMBUS P O    Series: M593  Roll: 167  Page: 756[image: Previous Page]<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/results/image?surname=Jones&givenname=Jefferson&series=9&state=12&countyid=1026&hitcount=1&p=1&urn=urn%3Aproquest%3AUS%3Bcensus%3B1461414%3B-1%3B9%3B12&searchtype=1&offset=0&threadtype=p>[image:
                          Next Page]<http://0-persi.heritagequestonline.com.elibrary.mel.org/hqoweb/library/do/census/results/image?surname=Jones&givenname=Jefferson&series=9&state=12&countyid=1026&hitcount=1&p=1&urn=urn%3Aproquest%3AUS%3Bcensus%3B1461416%3B-1%3B9%3B12&searchtype=1&offset=0&threadtype=p>
                          SurnameGivenNameAgeSexRaceBirthplaceStateCountyLocationYear   JONESJEFFERSON
                          45MBGAGAMUSCOGEECOLUMBUS P O1870

                          Good Luck.
                          Willie Z...........

                          On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:26 AM, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@...> wrote:

                          > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great
                          > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes
                          > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.
                          > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It
                          > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only
                          > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia
                          > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after
                          > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to
                          > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                          >
                          > Tara Gandy Sanford

                          *Mit freundlichen Grüssen*

                          #11: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's genealogy! Aye

                        • Willie Zuckerwhat
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 10, 2010
                            Hi,

                            These are some more thoughts to be added to being advised list.
                            � I have found a lot of the times letters misconstrued do to the enumerator
                            script such as Sena instead of Lene(a)
                            � Think in your European language more then English due to the rules and
                            they can be 180 degrees apart. Such as in German "ie" is pronounced as a e"
                            and "s" as"z", "w" as"v", "g" as "k" some of the times and etc...and in
                            English letters are straight forward.
                            Example the surname: Bliesner German [Bleezner] English [Blissner] and the
                            name Towes in German "Taves". So think into the 1800 and even into the early
                            1900's the enumerators was hearing strong French, Irish, Italian, German and
                            others.
                            � People used different names of there own names or shortened, changed or
                            americanized their name.
                            Examples: "Johann Michael" - John, Mike, Mikel and even Morgan. "M�ller" -
                            Mueller, Muller and Miller "Schmidt" - Schmid, Schmit and the very well
                            "Smith" and most think Smith would be English instead of German.
                            � Definitely think outside the box or the bun when you are researching.
                            � With Censuses check neighbor's names if known. Families were split do to
                            work or they have moved at census time.
                            � Use Plat Maps, because they married close or next door neighbors or
                            searching the land owners names to find your relatives.
                            � Last, look at your family not only into it. Luck is better then Good
                            anytime.

                            WZ

                            #11: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's genealogy! Aye

                          • back2rroots
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 11, 2010

                              From: lobsterjesus <lobsterjesus@...>
                              Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: look up help
                              Date: August 10, 2010 5:16:00 PM EDT
                              To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                              Hi Tara,

                              This often happens to me in my research. I also find that I'll have found my ancestors in one census, and then again TWO censuses later...but can't find them in the intervening census record.

                              Be advised that when you look through Ancestry, it is indexing census records based on what someone thinks was written down on the page. And, many pages of these records were not well kept for, or the penmanship was poor. I've found that my ancestors were indexed with all kinds of weird nonsense names on certain censuses on Ancestry.

                              I would recommend looking at the 1880 census for your ancestors, and printing that page out. On that page, you will see info on the top, like Ward, District, Voting Region, County, Township, etc. Pay attention to those numbers. There may even be a street name scribbled on the left side of the page.

                              Now, go to the 1870 Census for Georgia, and use the pull down menus (this can all be found in the Card Catalog section). Then, the pull down menus may have a section for the Ward or District of that County or City. Open up that section that matches the info you have for 1880.

                              Now, grab a cup of coffee, and click through each and every page of that district...it's probably anywhere between 10 and 40 pages. You might be able to find your ancestors this way, and discover that they were improperly indexed by the folks at Ancestry...again, due to poor copy quality or poor penmanship of the census taker.

                              Good luck!

                              --- In�genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@...> wrote:

                              > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great�
                              > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes�
                              > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.�
                              > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It�
                              > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only�
                              > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia�
                              > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after�
                              > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to�
                              > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                              >�
                              > Tara Gandy Sanford
                              >�
                              >�
                              >�

                            • back2rroots
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 11, 2010
                                Thanks to everyone for the suggestions given.Somethings I think I tried years ago but I will sit down and do it again maybe I over looked things.

                                From: lobsterjesus <lobsterjesus@...>
                                Date: August 10, 2010 5:16:00 PM EDT
                                To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                Hi Tara,

                                This often happens to me in my research. I also find that I'll have found my ancestors in one census, and then again TWO censuses later...but can't find them in the intervening census record.

                                Be advised that when you look through Ancestry, it is indexing census records based on what someone thinks was written down on the page. And, many pages of these records were not well kept for, or the penmanship was poor. I've found that my ancestors were indexed with all kinds of weird nonsense names on certain censuses on Ancestry.

                                I would recommend looking at the 1880 census for your ancestors, and printing that page out. On that page, you will see info on the top, like Ward, District, Voting Region, County, Township, etc. Pay attention to those numbers. There may even be a street name scribbled on the left side of the page.

                                Now, go to the 1870 Census for Georgia, and use the pull down menus (this can all be found in the Card Catalog section). Then, the pull down menus may have a section for the Ward or District of that County or City. Open up that section that matches the info you have for 1880.

                                Now, grab a cup of coffee, and click through each and every page of that district...it's probably anywhere between 10 and 40 pages. You might be able to find your ancestors this way, and discover that they were improperly indexed by the folks at Ancestry...again, due to poor copy quality or poor penmanship of the census taker.

                                Good luck!

                                --- In�genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@...> wrote:

                                > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great�
                                > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes�
                                > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.�
                                > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It�
                                > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only�
                                > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia�
                                > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after�
                                > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to�
                                > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                                >�
                                > Tara Gandy Sanford
                                >�
                                >�
                                >�

                                Tara Gandy-Sanford
                                Back2rRoots@...
                                Genealogist in Training

                              • barbara erickson
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 11, 2010
                                  I also have had the same problem. Try looking for the children in the before or
                                  after census. Keep track of how the names are spelled, it helps later. Barb

                                  ________________________________

                                  wrote:

                                  > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great
                                  > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes
                                  > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.
                                  > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It
                                  > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only
                                  > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia
                                  > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after
                                  > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to
                                  > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                                  >
                                  > Tara Gandy Sanford

                                • mdeweygardner
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 11, 2010
                                    You might try the free LDS sites like www.familysearch.org, pilot.familysearch.org, or fsbeta.familysearch.org ...I've found some census records which never did show up on ancestry. In particular, I've also found marriage, birth, and death records that I could not find on ancestry. I've compared census records from the same year on ancestry and the sites above, and I've found a few which were transcribed wrong in one but correctly in the others, so it is worth checking both.
                                    mark

                                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@...> wrote:

                                    > Thanks to everyone for the suggestions given.Somethings I think I tried years ago but I will sit down and do it again maybe I over looked things.
                                    >
                                    > On Aug 10, 2010, at 9:19:33 PM, lobsterjesus@... wrote:
                                    >
                                    > From: lobsterjesus <lobsterjesus@...>
                                    > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: look up help
                                    > Date: August 10, 2010 5:16:00 PM EDT
                                    > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                    > Hi Tara,
                                    >
                                    > This often happens to me in my research. I also find that I'll have found my ancestors in one census, and then again TWO censuses later...but can't find them in the intervening census record.
                                    >
                                    > Be advised that when you look through Ancestry, it is indexing census records based on what someone thinks was written down on the page. And, many pages of these records were not well kept for, or the penmanship was poor. I've found that my ancestors were indexed with all kinds of weird nonsense names on certain censuses on Ancestry.
                                    >
                                    > I would recommend looking at the 1880 census for your ancestors, and printing that page out. On that page, you will see info on the top, like Ward, District, Voting Region, County, Township, etc. Pay attention to those numbers. There may even be a street name scribbled on the left side of the page.
                                    >
                                    > Now, go to the 1870 Census for Georgia, and use the pull down menus (this can all be found in the Card Catalog section). Then, the pull down menus may have a section for the Ward or District of that County or City. Open up that section that matches the info you have for 1880.
                                    >
                                    > Now, grab a cup of coffee, and click through each and every page of that district...it's probably anywhere between 10 and 40 pages. You might be able to find your ancestors this way, and discover that they were improperly indexed by the folks at Ancestry...again, due to poor copy quality or poor penmanship of the census taker.
                                    >
                                    > Good luck!
                                    >
                                    > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, back2rroots <Back2rRoots@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great
                                    > > great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes
                                    > > might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.
                                    > > They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It
                                    > > is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only
                                    > > other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia
                                    > > like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after
                                    > > 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to
                                    > > 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                                    > >
                                    > > Tara Gandy Sanford

                                    > --
                                    > Tara Gandy-Sanford
                                    > Back2rRoots@...
                                    > Genealogist in Training

                                  • kay f
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 11, 2010
                                      If you have a library card, you can sign into Heritagequest from home. I love their census site! Have had excellent results in finding what I am looking for there and you can up the magnification to make it easier to read as well.

                                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "mdeweygardner" <mdeweygardner@...> wrote:

                                      > You might try the free LDS sites like www.familysearch.org, pilot.familysearch.org, or fsbeta.familysearch.org ...I've found some census records which never did show up on ancestry. In particular, I've also found marriage, birth, and death records that I could not find on ancestry. I've compared census records from the same year on

                                    • Jean
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Aug 11, 2010
                                        On 12/08/2010 12:10 AM, back2rroots wrote:

                                        > On Aug 10, 2010, at 9:19:33 PM, lobsterjesus@... wrote:
                                        >
                                        > From: lobsterjesus<lobsterjesus@...>
                                        > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: look up help
                                        > Date: August 10, 2010 5:16:00 PM EDT
                                        > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                                        > Hi Tara,
                                        >
                                        > This often happens to me in my research. I also find that I'll have found my ancestors in one census, and then again TWO censuses later...but can't find them in the intervening census record.
                                        >
                                        > Be advised that when you look through Ancestry, it is indexing census records based on what someone thinks was written down on the page. And, many pages of these records were not well kept for, or the penmanship was poor. I've found that my ancestors were indexed with all kinds of weird nonsense names on certain censuses on Ancestry.
                                        >
                                        > I would recommend looking at the 1880 census for your ancestors, and printing that page out. On that page, you will see info on the top, like Ward, District, Voting Region, County, Township, etc. Pay attention to those numbers. There may even be a street name scribbled on the left side of the page.
                                        >
                                        > Now, go to the 1870 Census for Georgia, and use the pull down menus (this can all be found in the Card Catalog section). Then, the pull down menus may have a section for the Ward or District of that County or City. Open up that section that matches the info you have for 1880.
                                        >
                                        > Now, grab a cup of coffee, and click through each and every page of that district...it's probably anywhere between 10 and 40 pages. You might be able to find your ancestors this way, and discover that they were improperly indexed by the folks at Ancestry...again, due to poor copy quality or poor penmanship of the census taker.
                                        >
                                        > Good luck!
                                        >
                                        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, back2rroots<Back2rRoots@...> wrote:
                                        >>
                                        >> I have ancestry.com however I have not been able to find my great
                                        >> great grandparents in the 1870 census. I am hope another set of eyes
                                        >> might help. The names are Jefferson and Caroline Jones in Georgia.
                                        >> They would have had a son william about 10 or 11 and a son Henry 1. It
                                        >> is possible they had other children that I don't know about. They only
                                        >> other thing I can think of either they really were not from Georgia
                                        >> like we thought or maybe they changed their last name to Jones after
                                        >> 1870. This is so frustrating not to have any record of them prior to
                                        >> 1880. If anyone else can help I would appreciate it.
                                        >>
                                        >> Tara Gandy Sanford

                                        Be careful with Ancestor there may be typo errors.
                                        I have been looking for the Name Shandley by using their
                                        Ancestor name search facility, found them in the earliest UK Censor but
                                        not in the next, because the name was misread as mandley.

                                      • Kel
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Aug 17, 2010
                                          I have been doing research for my tree on Ancestry.com. Today I was doing a search and was on page 126 of my search and found someone I had been looking for, however not the one I was currently searching for. So I wrote down all of the information so I could go back later and get it easily. Oh silly me. I went back to search with the same spelling and the correct dates and cities and after searching through 1917 results, nada. Why? When I am searching for someone's birth, I put in the information that pertains to the person and hit search. So up comes all the records that may be related in some way to this person. So I click on the Birth, Baptism, Christening and that narrow is to 656, then I click on the Drouin Collection (French Canadian) which narrows it to 437. So you would think that I would get a list of only births, baptisms, and Christenings pertaining to the name, years, and the person I am looking for. No, I still get marriages and burials cluttered in there. Any clues on how to search more efficiently? I am so tired of searching through hundreds of pages with correct information to start with and not finding the record in the mix...

                                        • Mark Rabideau
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 18, 2010
                                            Hi Kel

                                            Almost all search engines (ancestry's included) a extremely sensitive to
                                            the key's you place in their search forms. This is even worse in
                                            complex forms than it is in simple ones... and Ancestry's form can be
                                            complex!

                                            I know this won't help you now, but in the future, when you perform a
                                            critical search the address bar in your browser will contain the exact
                                            string of the search you have just completed. In order to ensure you
                                            can repeat that exact search in the future, you might save that really
                                            long url address.

                                            Here's a sample of a George Washington search:
                                            http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?gl=ROOT_CATEGORY&rank=1&new=1&so=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=ms_f-2&gsfn=George&gsfn_x=NP_NN_NIC&gsln=Washington&gsln_x=NS_NP&msbpn=49&msbpn_PInfo=5-|1652393|2|3245|49|&msbpn__ftp=Virginia%2C+USA&msdpn=49&msdpn_PInfo=5-|1652393|2|3245|49|&msdpn__ftp=Virginia%2C+USA&cpxt=0&catBucket=rstp&uidh=9t6&=0&cp=12

                                            If you keep this 'mess' you will get the same result time after time...
                                            supposedly!

                                            Otherwise it's always a crap shoot.

                                            Pax Vobiscum,
                                            ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

                                            Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
                                            Snail mail at: 711 Nob Hill Trail - Franktown,CO USA - 80116-8717
                                            phone:+1.303.660.9400 fax:+1.303.660.9217
                                            member: Association of Professional Genealogists & National Genealogical
                                            Society
                                            “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of
                                            knowledge."
                                            Steven Hawking

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 18, 2010
                                              Thank you Mark for this information, I would have never thought of that trick. I will definitely keep that in mind when I run into this situation again. I am going over my notes to try to do the searches that I was doing last night to see if I can somehow luck onto the name again. Thanks again...Kel

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Aug 19, 2010
                                                Kel (and anyone else who's had this problem),

                                                I suspect you are using Ancestry.com's default Search page. Otherwise
                                                you'd never have to plow through 126 pages to begin with.

                                                Look in the upper right corner of the "Search All Records" page for a
                                                link that says, "Old Search." Click that and then, above the slots for
                                                the name, click "Exact." What you will then get is a list of the topic
                                                links under which your name appears and how many hits there are in that
                                                topic. It will say, for example, "1900 census: 42." If you fill in the
                                                entries that fit that. Don't worry about the term "exact" checked off.
                                                You can still ask for Soundex if you wish without unchecking that box.

                                                I absolutely can't stand that default Search! And I can't imagine why
                                                they've got it set up that way, but at least they do allow this "Old
                                                Search" which is so much easier to use.

                                                Joy Weaver

                                              • Kel
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 20, 2010
                                                  Thank you for that, my goodness could they have made "Old Search" any smaller? And dummy me I thought that meant a search of my previous searches, LOL...

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 22, 2010
                                                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, tfw4321 wrote:

                                                    > I went back to my Bradley line... Conneticut 1840 and 1850...
                                                    > Thornton White...

                                                    Dear Mr White:

                                                    I have Bradleys and Whites in my heritage... from Worcester, Mass. I wonder if we might be related? See...

                                                    http://www.arunet.co.uk/tkboyd/boyd1dm.htm

                                                    .. for details.

                                                    My Bradley was John Erving BRADLEY, b. 1860, Worcester.

                                                    On the White side, there are a number of George A Whites.