Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Mary Gilhooley

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2006
      Hello Theresa,

      Snap! Whitley Bay is about 20 miles from where I live
      in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. It was formerly in
      the county of Northumberland but is now in the Borough
      of North Tyneside in the new County of Tyne and Wear.
      The Green Howards is one of the great regiments of the
      British Army, so called from the fact that during the
      18th and 19th Centuries when the other British
      regiments wore red uniforms they wore green ones. They
      trace their origins to the 60th Rifles, the only
      regiment which used rifles as opposed to muskets
      during the 18th and 19th Centuries, and ultimately
      from Rogers' Rangers, a colonial American regiment
      which fought against the French duing the French and
      Indian War, as the Seven Years' War was known in North
      America. The 60th Rifles was largely formed from
      Loyalists who stayed with the British during the
      American War of Independence. You know of course that
      Gilhooley is an Irish name; do you know anything about
      your relatives before they came to Tyneside?

      Please contact me off list at <lahavs@...> and
      tell me what specific information you need. Do you
      know if there are any Gilhooleys still in Whitley Bay?

      Best wishes,

      Ron Lahav
      Newcastle upon Tyne

      http://mail.yahoo.com