Geiger Family

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2006
      Hello There,

      The Geiger family is one of the great German Jewish
      families of the 18th and 19th Centuries. Originally
      from the vicinity of Hamburg, their most famous member
      is Abraham Geiger, who is creedited with founding
      reform Judaism during the early 19th Century. In fact,
      the new Jewish Rabbinical College in Germany, the
      first institution for training German rabbis since the
      Holocaust, is named after him. The first rabbis to be
      ordained since the Holocaust were called this past
      week at the college, in the presence of the German
      chancellor, Angela Merkel. The name Geiger means
      violinist inh German, or more colloquially 'fiddler.'

      If I can help futehre pleast contact me of List at
      <lahavs@...>.

      Ron Lahav
      Newcastle upon Tyne, England

      http://mail.yahoo.com