In search of Wisslers

  • rwnthmkng
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 15 9:17 AM
      I'm searching for info on the PA Wisslers. Christopher Wissler and
      Catherine Moody Wissler. They had about 11 children, 7 sons and 4
      daughters. Most of them lived in Harrisburg PA.

      Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 16 7:26 AM
        Hello There,

        The name Wissler derives from southwestgern Germany,
        Swabia and the Blacxk Forest, which is the region from
        which many Pennsylvania Germans originated from. If
        you would like any further discussion about this or if
        you have additional info on the Wisslers, please
        contact me at <lahavs@...>.

        Best wishes,

        Ron lahav
        Newcastle upon Tyne, England

        --- rwnthmkng <rwnthmkng@...> wrote:

        > I'm searching for info on the PA Wisslers.
        > Christopher Wissler and
        > Catherine Moody Wissler. They had about 11 children,
        > 7 sons and 4
        > daughters. Most of them lived in Harrisburg PA.
        >
        > Any info would be greatly appreciated.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Tom Knox
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 16 10:19 AM
          (Welcome back, Ron!)

          "rwnthmkng": I presume that you are referring to this family -

          1930 Ward 7 Harrisburg, Dauphin, Pennsylvania
          (all marked as birthplaces PA:PA:PA)
          address "1106 North Cameron St"
          Wissler, Chris Jr?/42, Katie C/42 both married at age 21
          (), Charles/20, Chris 3rd/19, Joseph/17, William/16, Katie/15,
          (), Howard/12, Warren/11, Clarence/8, Dorothy/7, Miles/5,
          (), Gerald/1+6m, John E/1m
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=6224&iid=PAT626_2026-0479

          Could your "Christopher" have been named "Christian"?
          1920 Harrisburg Ward 7, Dauphin, Pennsylvania
          address "1107 North Cameron"
          Wissler, Christian, head 38 Foreman, city
          (), Katie/26, Charles/8, Joseph?/7, William/4, Katie/3, Howard/1
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=6061&iid=PAT625_1558-0363

          A possible match in 1910 - (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
          1910 Harrisburg Ward 7, Dauphin, PA (address) "1609 12th Street"
          Whisler, Christian, head 45 married.1 21 yrs fireman
          (), Elizabeth, wife 56?(50?) married.2 21 yrs
          (), Christian, son 20 single Driver, Garbage Co
          (), Elizabeth, dau 17 single Operator, Box factory
          (), Jacob/son/15/single, Miles/son/12/single
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=7884&iid=PAT624_1336-0808

          If that 1910 census fits, then so does this one:
          1900 Harrisburg Ward 7, Dauphin, PA
          address: "1158 Cumberland Street"
          Wissler, Christian, head 36 married 16 yrs Peddler
          (), Elizabeth, wife 44 married 16 yrs 13 children 8 living
          (), ?Emozra/17, Howard/12, Christian/10
          (), Elizabeth/6, Jacob/2, Miles/1, (daughter)/0m
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=7602&iid=PAT623_1402-0736
          NOTE: census has specific birthdates for all:
          Christian(head) 11 Nov 1863, Christian(son) 27 Sep 1889.

          A possible match -
          World War I Draft Registration Card
          Christian Wissler born 22 Jun 1889 Harrisburg Pa.
          address: 1107 N. 11th, Harrisburg Pa.
          married, wife & 5 children
          occupation: Laborer, Garbage Plant
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=6482&iid=PA-
          1893237-6811

          - Tom Knox IBSSG

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "rwnthmkng"

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18 1:03 AM
            Hello Tom,

            Thanks for the welcome. I have told this person (who
            hasn;y given his/her name) that I might be able to
            help find the German roots of the Wisslers.
            Best wishes,

            Ron Lahav

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 18 3:13 PM
              "rwnthmkng" - Lisa, I presume? -

              Some useful genealogy message boards for you -

              http://genforum.genealogy.com/whisler/
              http://genforum.genealogy.com/whistler/
              http://genforum.genealogy.com/wisler/
              http://genforum.genealogy.com/wissler/

              http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/surnames.whisler
              http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/surnames.whistler
              http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/surnames.wisler
              http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/board/an/surnames.wissler

              and some specific messages:
              http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/surnames.wissler/52
              http://genforum.genealogy.com/pa/messages/41710.html
              http://genforum.genealogy.com/pa/messages/41714.html

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 23 3:14 PM
                I'm sorry I thought I responded to your post and thanked you for your
                help. So sorry. I'm Lisa.
              • David Simpson
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 24 10:41 AM
                  Lisa,
                  If anybody on the list lives in or near Harrisburg, PA, maybe they will check out Prospect Hill Cemetery. That's where the Wissler I found is located. Where there is one, the chances are good there are more.

                  David

                  --
                  David Simpson, The Cemetery Detective
                  Cemetery Research & Photography
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 24 12:45 PM
                    Lisa -

                    Yes, you did thank me (private email, but without your name) -
                    I was just sending along some more links to look at,
                    and taking a guess at who you might be.

                    Following up on my "1900-1930" group-message
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub/message/9730
                    and my private email . . .

                    you can try your hand at the 1880 census at
                    http://www.FamilySearch.org/

                    At Ancestry.com, I found two possibilities in 1880 -

                    1880 Clay, Lancaster, PA
                    Benjamin/41/merchant, Susanna/41, Ella E/15,
                    (), Christian F/13, Samuel L/11,
                    Rock, Malinda, daughter 25
                    Haldeman, David, servant 22
                    Wissler, Anna, mother 74 widow
                    http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
                    htx=View&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=PAT9_1140-0219
                    NOTE: there are 2 other WISSLER households on this census page.

                    It would be logical for the son of a merchant (Benjamin in 1880) to
                    become a peddler (Christian in 1900) - both are retailers.

                    1880 Drumore, Lancaster, PA
                    Wisler, Elias/44/farmer, Annie/43, Christen H/21,
                    (), Henry H/19, Ester H/17, Elias H/14,
                    (), David H/12, Annia H/5, Rudolph H/2, Daniel H/2m
                    http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
                    htx=View&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=PAT9_1144-0118

                    Small problem with both of these -
                    based on Christian's age in 1900, each of the 1880-possibilities has
                    age that is off by 4 years (in opposite directions!).

                    Another possibility, based on both of these being in the same
                    county - the two CHRIST*N's might be cousins, both named after a
                    common ancestor (possibly a grandfather or ggfather) . . .

                    Pennsylvania German Marriages
                    "Marriages & Marriage Evidence in Pennsylvania German Churches"
                    (337) Wisler, Christian of Mount Joy, Catharine Hartman of Rapho, 6
                    Sep 1801.
                    Chapter: Stone Church 1773-1822
                    Page Number: 234

                    Lancaster, Pennsylvania Probate Index, 1729-1850
                    AN INDEX TO THE WILL BOOKS AND INTESTATE RECORDS OF LANCASTER
                    COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA 1729-1850
                    INDEX to the WILL BOOKS OF LANCASTER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA 1729 - 1850
                    page 50
                    ----------
                    Name: Wissler, Christian
                    Year: 1795 Book: F Volume: 1 Page: 627
                    ----------
                    Name: Wissler, Christian
                    Year: 1827 Book: P Volume: 1 Page: 27
                    ----------
                    (there are many other WISSLER's listed)

                    OK - back to 1870 - following Benjamin
                    1870 Clay (P.O. Durlach), Lancaster, Pennsylvania
                    Wissler, Benjamin/31, Susanna/30,
                    (), Ellen Elizabeth/5, Christian F/3, Sa'm Lincoln/1
                    (next door is the household of)
                    Wissler, Christian/65, Anna/63, Mariann/24
                    http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
                    htx=View&r=an&dbid=7163&iid=PAM593_1354-0122
                    NOTE: and 2 more WISSLER households on the same census page.

                    1860 Clay (P.O. Durlach), Lancaster, Pennsylvania
                    Wissler, Christian/55, Anna/53, Benjamin/21, Mari Ann/14
                    http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
                    htx=View&r=an&dbid=7667&iid=PAM653_1120-0029
                    NOTE: there is another larger WISSLER household on the same page.

                    1850 Elizabeth, Lancaster, Pennsylvania
                    Wissler, Christian/45, Ann/44, Elizabeth H/18,
                    (), Benjamin/11, Jacob H/7, Mary Ann/4
                    http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
                    htx=View&r=an&dbid=8054&iid=PAM432_789-0524
                    NOTE: there are 2 other WISSLER households on this census page.

                    CAVEAT: the line of Benjamin Wissler that I followed is NOT
                    NECESSARILY the correct line for "your" Christian Wissler - just
                    call it a hunch without evidence. I tried looking for surname WIS*
                    and WHIS* as well as firstname CHRIST* with birthyear 1864 +/- 5
                    yrs, but there are just too many possibilities.

                    The main problem is making the leap back from 1900 (information
                    which looks "solid") to information in 1880 - there needs to be more
                    solid evidence for a connection: maybe death certificates or obits
                    or a marriage certificate for Christian & Elizabeth Wissler (ages 36
                    & 44 in 1900).