RE: [Genealogy Research Club] copy of birth certificate for Inez Maude JOHNSON

  • Clark & Rita Pederson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
      Rosemary: Look for her death certificate. Most death certificates ask the
      parents name. Of course it depends on who was supplying the information
      and whether they knew accurately. Also, have you tried looking for the
      census listings for the family for 1870 and 1880?

      Clark

      Oregon

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
        Rosemary -

        That is correct - that far back, there might not be a civil record
        (county or town) of her birth; there might be an existing church
        record or a family record (like a family bible).

        However, to find siblings & parents, you do not necessarily need the
        birth certificate.
        In the 1880 census, there are three main candidates:
        1880 Bullock, Crenshaw, AL - Ineze Johnson age 14 born GA
        1880 Bainbridge, Decatur, GA - Inez M Johnson age 14 born GA
        1880 Town, Newton, GA - Ines Johnson age 14 born GA

        Since you specify Newton County, I would suggest that circumstantial
        evidence leans towards the Newton County possibility (Decatur County
        is on the south edge of GA next to Florida).

        1880 Town, Newton, Georgia
        Johnson, Lidia/54, Elizabeth/18, Ines/14
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=GAT9_160-0248
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/census/household_record.asp?
        HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1880US_12695962&frompage=5

        A widow and daughters - so let's look at 1870 -

        1870 Subdivision 96 (P.O. Covington), Newton, Georgia
        (all are marked as born "Geo")
        Johnson, Sidney/54?/farmer, Lydia/45, Newton W/24, Mary/19,
        (), Sidney A/15?, Samuel E/15, Anna/12, Indiana/9,
        (), N Elizabeth/8, Inez/4
        (two other JOHNSON households on the same census-page)
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=7163&iid=GAM593_168-0090

        1860 (P.O. Covington), Newton, Georgia
        (all are marked as born "Geo" except as indicated)
        Johnson, S R/46, L V/33, Francis E A/16, Newton W/13,
        (), Mary A/11, Sidnet A/8, Samuel F/5, Sarah A/3, Indiana/10m,
        (), W H/13, James/11
        next door is the household of)
        Johnson, Samuel/93:SC/farmer, Sarah A/83:SC,
        (), Samuel/52, Emily/35
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=7667&iid=GAM653_133-0035

        1850 Subdivision 65, Newton, Georgia
        (all are marked as born "Geo" except as indicated)
        Johnson, Sidney/33/farmer, Lidia/25,
        (), Frances/6, Williamson/4, Mary/1
        (next door is the household of)
        Johnson, Samuel/75:SC/farmer, Sarah/66:SC,
        (), Timutheus/25/female, Emily/22, Samuel/42
        http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
        htx=View&r=an&dbid=8054&iid=GAM432_79-0278

        1840 Town District, Newton, Georgia - Samuel Johnson

        1830 Newton County, Georgia - Samuel Johnson
        NOTE: Newton County was formed in 1821.

        Looking at AncestryWorldTrees
        (which are the same database as RootsWeb WorldConnect):
        http://www.ancestry.com/trees/awt/main.aspx
        http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
        Given/FirstName = SIDNEY
        LastName/Surname = JOHNSON
        SpouseName = BAGBY
        There are 5 family trees:
        Sidney Johnson married Lydia/Lidia Bagby;
        Sidney son of Samuel Johnson & Sarah A Hightower

        - Tom Knox IBSSG

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "arbywofford"
        <arbywofford@...> wrote:

        > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
        > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
        > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
        > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the
        problem.
        > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
        > of help and give me some other options??
        > Rosemary
        > arbywofford@...

      • Rosemary Wofford
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
          Thank you Tom,
          I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to prove her birth parents.
          There are few surviving relatives to ask questions of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important people who were never related to the person telling the story, it all being a myth...
          ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ . I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info didn't have any idea of her parents names.
          The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T. but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in 1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
          Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so frustrated ....
          Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along , like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

          Many Regards
          Rosemary

          <arbywofford@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
          > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
          > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
          > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the
          problem.
          > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
          > of help and give me some other options??
          > Rosemary
          > arbywofford@...

        • Rosemary Wofford
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
            Susan,
            Thank you for your reply. My problem is , there are few relatives surviving who know any of the facts about Inez. I have written letters, made telephone calls and ask for pictures , but I have received no help. The two remaing grandchildren, have stories which are not true, one saying the name was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General Albert Sydney Johnson..I have checked this out to find it false....The bit of info I do have has her name as JOHNSON...one is a marriage certificate, the other is a newpaper article...I will check with Newton County Historical Society and see if Covington , Ga. has any old newspapers that may give me help
            Thanks again
            Rosemary

            Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote:
            This is where research can become more difficult. Some options are to: talk
            to all your family members to see what they know; find her in the early
            Census records - possibly with her parents & siblings (do research those
            relative); find your 'cousins' - other distant members of your family tree
            who may have information; find Bible records or private family papers; look
            for Biographies, Diaries, town/county histories and newspaper articles
            which may mention the family; locate marriage records or obits for her & her
            siblings which may mention her parents names & siblings names. There is
            more, but that's a good start.

            Good luck, if you need more help let us know.

            Susan

            On 9/8/06, arbywofford <arbywofford@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
            > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
            > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
            > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the problem.
            > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
            > of help and give me some other options??
            > Rosemary
            > arbywofford@...

          • Rosemary Wofford
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
              I have a" burial page"..This is a report that was sent to me from the funeral home she was buried from. Her only son gave the information and reported her fathers name as George and mother UNKNOWN.. I am almost positive none of her children knew the names of thier grandparents. why? I have no idea
              I have Inez in Covington in 1870 and 1880 she is 4 and 14 She left Covington in 1889 when she went to Fla to marry Thaddeus Geiger
              I have her obit also which gave the samr info as the "burial page"
              thanks Clark for the reply
              Rosemary

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 11, 2006
                Rosemary -

                Do you have a copy of Inez' marriage certificate?
                Oftentimes, the marriage certificate would list the parents of the
                people getting married (to better-identify the people getting
                married).

                - Tom Knox

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rosemary Wofford
                <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                > Thank you Tom,
                > I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I
                have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made
                me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to
                prove her birth parents.
                > There are few surviving relatives to ask questions
                of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says
                Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General
                ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This
                woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told
                many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was
                all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important
                people who were never related to the person telling the story, it
                all being a myth...
                > ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was
                George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ .
                I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info
                didn't have any idea of her parents names.
                > The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the
                true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T.
                but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without
                the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in
                1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss
                Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford
                Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her
                marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me
                proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her
                birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and
                that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
                > Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so
                frustrated ....
                > Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my
                Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along ,
                like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

                > Many Regards
                > Rosemary
              • Rosemary Wofford
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 12, 2006
                  Tom,
                  Yes I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate. I ordered it just for that reason, hoping it would have her parents names on the certificate. Only the minister and county judges names are there besides of course Inez Johnsons and Thaddeus W. Geigers.
                  .Thank you Tom for the help
                  Rosemary

                  <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                  > Thank you Tom,
                  > I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I
                  have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made
                  me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to
                  prove her birth parents.
                  > There are few surviving relatives to ask questions
                  of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says
                  Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General
                  ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This
                  woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told
                  many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was
                  all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important
                  people who were never related to the person telling the story, it
                  all being a myth...
                  > ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was
                  George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ .
                  I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info
                  didn't have any idea of her parents names.
                  > The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the
                  true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T.
                  but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without
                  the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in
                  1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss
                  Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford
                  Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her
                  marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me
                  proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her
                  birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and
                  that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
                  > Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so
                  frustrated ....
                  > Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my
                  Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along ,
                  like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

                  > Many Regards
                  > Rosemary

                • Rebecca Betz-Festa
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 22, 2006
                    <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                    > Tom,
                    > Yes I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate. I
                    ordered it just for that reason, hoping it would have her parents
                    names on the certificate. Only the minister and county judges names
                    are there besides of course Inez Johnsons and Thaddeus W. Geigers.
                    > .Thank you Tom for the help
                    > Rosemary

                    Hi Rosemary:

                    I found out, at least in Philadelphia, PA, that the certified copy of
                    the marriage license is the copy of the return that was filed by the
                    minister/judge, and signed by the bride and groom, and any witnesses,
                    after the ceremony has taken place. Also, in Pennsylvania, it is
                    filed in the county where the marriage took place, which may or may
                    not be the same place/county where the license was applied for.
                    There is a separate marriage license application that has the
                    information you are looking for. This was how I found out who my
                    Grandfathers parents were. You may want to check with Sanford,
                    Florida, and see if there is a separate marriage license application
                    that you can get a copy of. Good luck with your search!

                    Rebecca