RE: [Genealogy Research Club] copy of birth certificate for Inez Maude JOHNSON

  • Clark & Rita Pederson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
      Rosemary: Look for her death certificate. Most death certificates ask the
      parents name. Of course it depends on who was supplying the information
      and whether they knew accurately. Also, have you tried looking for the
      census listings for the family for 1870 and 1880?

      Clark

      Oregon

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
        Rosemary: I looked in the census listings and there are several Inez
        Johnsons in Georgia. Here are two

        1870 Census: Bainbridge, Decatur County, Georgia

        Inez age 4 born in Georgia

        Frannie 8 Georgia

        Blanch wife 30 Georgia

        Emery head 36 New York, manufacturer

        Covington Newton County Georgia

        Inez M. age 4 born in Georgia

        N. Elizabeth 8, Indiana 9, Anna 12, Samuel E. 15, Sidney A. 15, Mary 19,
        Newton W. 24, Farming

        Lydia wife age 45 Georgia At Home

        Sidney head 54? Georgia Farmer

        Do any siblings match up??

        Clark

        Oregon

        _____

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
          This is where research can become more difficult. Some options are to: talk
          to all your family members to see what they know; find her in the early
          Census records - possibly with her parents & siblings (do research those
          relative); find your 'cousins' - other distant members of your family tree
          who may have information; find Bible records or private family papers; look
          for Biographies, Diaries, town/county histories and newspaper articles
          which may mention the family; locate marriage records or obits for her & her
          siblings which may mention her parents names & siblings names. There is
          more, but that's a good start.

          Good luck, if you need more help let us know.

          Susan

          On 9/8/06, arbywofford <arbywofford@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
          > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
          > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
          > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the problem.
          > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
          > of help and give me some other options??
          > Rosemary
          > arbywofford@...

        • Tom Knox
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
            Rosemary -

            That is correct - that far back, there might not be a civil record
            (county or town) of her birth; there might be an existing church
            record or a family record (like a family bible).

            However, to find siblings & parents, you do not necessarily need the
            birth certificate.
            In the 1880 census, there are three main candidates:
            1880 Bullock, Crenshaw, AL - Ineze Johnson age 14 born GA
            1880 Bainbridge, Decatur, GA - Inez M Johnson age 14 born GA
            1880 Town, Newton, GA - Ines Johnson age 14 born GA

            Since you specify Newton County, I would suggest that circumstantial
            evidence leans towards the Newton County possibility (Decatur County
            is on the south edge of GA next to Florida).

            1880 Town, Newton, Georgia
            Johnson, Lidia/54, Elizabeth/18, Ines/14
            http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
            htx=View&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=GAT9_160-0248
            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/census/household_record.asp?
            HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1880US_12695962&frompage=5

            A widow and daughters - so let's look at 1870 -

            1870 Subdivision 96 (P.O. Covington), Newton, Georgia
            (all are marked as born "Geo")
            Johnson, Sidney/54?/farmer, Lydia/45, Newton W/24, Mary/19,
            (), Sidney A/15?, Samuel E/15, Anna/12, Indiana/9,
            (), N Elizabeth/8, Inez/4
            (two other JOHNSON households on the same census-page)
            http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
            htx=View&r=an&dbid=7163&iid=GAM593_168-0090

            1860 (P.O. Covington), Newton, Georgia
            (all are marked as born "Geo" except as indicated)
            Johnson, S R/46, L V/33, Francis E A/16, Newton W/13,
            (), Mary A/11, Sidnet A/8, Samuel F/5, Sarah A/3, Indiana/10m,
            (), W H/13, James/11
            next door is the household of)
            Johnson, Samuel/93:SC/farmer, Sarah A/83:SC,
            (), Samuel/52, Emily/35
            http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
            htx=View&r=an&dbid=7667&iid=GAM653_133-0035

            1850 Subdivision 65, Newton, Georgia
            (all are marked as born "Geo" except as indicated)
            Johnson, Sidney/33/farmer, Lidia/25,
            (), Frances/6, Williamson/4, Mary/1
            (next door is the household of)
            Johnson, Samuel/75:SC/farmer, Sarah/66:SC,
            (), Timutheus/25/female, Emily/22, Samuel/42
            http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
            htx=View&r=an&dbid=8054&iid=GAM432_79-0278

            1840 Town District, Newton, Georgia - Samuel Johnson

            1830 Newton County, Georgia - Samuel Johnson
            NOTE: Newton County was formed in 1821.

            Looking at AncestryWorldTrees
            (which are the same database as RootsWeb WorldConnect):
            http://www.ancestry.com/trees/awt/main.aspx
            http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
            Given/FirstName = SIDNEY
            LastName/Surname = JOHNSON
            SpouseName = BAGBY
            There are 5 family trees:
            Sidney Johnson married Lydia/Lidia Bagby;
            Sidney son of Samuel Johnson & Sarah A Hightower

            - Tom Knox IBSSG

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "arbywofford"
            <arbywofford@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
            > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
            > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
            > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the
            problem.
            > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
            > of help and give me some other options??
            > Rosemary
            > arbywofford@...

          • Rosemary Wofford
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
              Thank you Tom,
              I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to prove her birth parents.
              There are few surviving relatives to ask questions of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important people who were never related to the person telling the story, it all being a myth...
              ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ . I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info didn't have any idea of her parents names.
              The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T. but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in 1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
              Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so frustrated ....
              Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along , like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

              Many Regards
              Rosemary

              <arbywofford@...> wrote:

              > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
              > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
              > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
              > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the
              problem.
              > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
              > of help and give me some other options??
              > Rosemary
              > arbywofford@...

            • Rosemary Wofford
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
                Susan,
                Thank you for your reply. My problem is , there are few relatives surviving who know any of the facts about Inez. I have written letters, made telephone calls and ask for pictures , but I have received no help. The two remaing grandchildren, have stories which are not true, one saying the name was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General Albert Sydney Johnson..I have checked this out to find it false....The bit of info I do have has her name as JOHNSON...one is a marriage certificate, the other is a newpaper article...I will check with Newton County Historical Society and see if Covington , Ga. has any old newspapers that may give me help
                Thanks again
                Rosemary

                Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote:
                This is where research can become more difficult. Some options are to: talk
                to all your family members to see what they know; find her in the early
                Census records - possibly with her parents & siblings (do research those
                relative); find your 'cousins' - other distant members of your family tree
                who may have information; find Bible records or private family papers; look
                for Biographies, Diaries, town/county histories and newspaper articles
                which may mention the family; locate marriage records or obits for her & her
                siblings which may mention her parents names & siblings names. There is
                more, but that's a good start.

                Good luck, if you need more help let us know.

                Susan

                On 9/8/06, arbywofford <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
                > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
                > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
                > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the problem.
                > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
                > of help and give me some other options??
                > Rosemary
                > arbywofford@...

              • Rosemary Wofford
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
                  I have a" burial page"..This is a report that was sent to me from the funeral home she was buried from. Her only son gave the information and reported her fathers name as George and mother UNKNOWN.. I am almost positive none of her children knew the names of thier grandparents. why? I have no idea
                  I have Inez in Covington in 1870 and 1880 she is 4 and 14 She left Covington in 1889 when she went to Fla to marry Thaddeus Geiger
                  I have her obit also which gave the samr info as the "burial page"
                  thanks Clark for the reply
                  Rosemary

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 11, 2006
                    Rosemary -

                    Do you have a copy of Inez' marriage certificate?
                    Oftentimes, the marriage certificate would list the parents of the
                    people getting married (to better-identify the people getting
                    married).

                    - Tom Knox

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rosemary Wofford
                    <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Tom,
                    > I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I
                    have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made
                    me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to
                    prove her birth parents.
                    > There are few surviving relatives to ask questions
                    of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says
                    Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General
                    ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This
                    woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told
                    many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was
                    all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important
                    people who were never related to the person telling the story, it
                    all being a myth...
                    > ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was
                    George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ .
                    I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info
                    didn't have any idea of her parents names.
                    > The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the
                    true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T.
                    but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without
                    the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in
                    1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss
                    Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford
                    Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her
                    marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me
                    proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her
                    birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and
                    that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
                    > Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so
                    frustrated ....
                    > Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my
                    Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along ,
                    like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

                    > Many Regards
                    > Rosemary
                  • Rosemary Wofford
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 12, 2006
                      Tom,
                      Yes I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate. I ordered it just for that reason, hoping it would have her parents names on the certificate. Only the minister and county judges names are there besides of course Inez Johnsons and Thaddeus W. Geigers.
                      .Thank you Tom for the help
                      Rosemary

                      <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you Tom,
                      > I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I
                      have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made
                      me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to
                      prove her birth parents.
                      > There are few surviving relatives to ask questions
                      of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says
                      Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General
                      ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This
                      woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told
                      many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was
                      all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important
                      people who were never related to the person telling the story, it
                      all being a myth...
                      > ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was
                      George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ .
                      I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info
                      didn't have any idea of her parents names.
                      > The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the
                      true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T.
                      but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without
                      the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in
                      1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss
                      Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford
                      Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her
                      marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me
                      proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her
                      birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and
                      that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
                      > Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so
                      frustrated ....
                      > Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my
                      Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along ,
                      like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

                      > Many Regards
                      > Rosemary

                    • Rebecca Betz-Festa
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 22, 2006
                        <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                        > Tom,
                        > Yes I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate. I
                        ordered it just for that reason, hoping it would have her parents
                        names on the certificate. Only the minister and county judges names
                        are there besides of course Inez Johnsons and Thaddeus W. Geigers.
                        > .Thank you Tom for the help
                        > Rosemary

                        Hi Rosemary:

                        I found out, at least in Philadelphia, PA, that the certified copy of
                        the marriage license is the copy of the return that was filed by the
                        minister/judge, and signed by the bride and groom, and any witnesses,
                        after the ceremony has taken place. Also, in Pennsylvania, it is
                        filed in the county where the marriage took place, which may or may
                        not be the same place/county where the license was applied for.
                        There is a separate marriage license application that has the
                        information you are looking for. This was how I found out who my
                        Grandfathers parents were. You may want to check with Sanford,
                        Florida, and see if there is a separate marriage license application
                        that you can get a copy of. Good luck with your search!

                        Rebecca