copy of birth certificate for Inez Maude JOHNSON

  • arbywofford
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
      I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
      name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
      Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
      kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the problem.
      I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
      of help and give me some other options??
      Rosemary
      arbywofford@...
    • Clark & Rita Pederson
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
        Rosemary: Look for her death certificate. Most death certificates ask the
        parents name. Of course it depends on who was supplying the information
        and whether they knew accurately. Also, have you tried looking for the
        census listings for the family for 1870 and 1880?

        Clark

        Oregon

        _____

        I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
        name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
        Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
        kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the problem.
        I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
        of help and give me some other options??
        Rosemary
        arbywofford@ <mailto:arbywofford%40yahoo.com> yahoo.com

      • Clark & Rita Pederson
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 8, 2006
          Rosemary: I looked in the census listings and there are several Inez
          Johnsons in Georgia. Here are two

          1870 Census: Bainbridge, Decatur County, Georgia

          Inez age 4 born in Georgia

          Frannie 8 Georgia

          Blanch wife 30 Georgia

          Emery head 36 New York, manufacturer

          Covington Newton County Georgia

          Inez M. age 4 born in Georgia

          N. Elizabeth 8, Indiana 9, Anna 12, Samuel E. 15, Sidney A. 15, Mary 19,
          Newton W. 24, Farming

          Lydia wife age 45 Georgia At Home

          Sidney head 54? Georgia Farmer

          Do any siblings match up??

          Clark

          Oregon

          _____

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
            This is where research can become more difficult. Some options are to: talk
            to all your family members to see what they know; find her in the early
            Census records - possibly with her parents & siblings (do research those
            relative); find your 'cousins' - other distant members of your family tree
            who may have information; find Bible records or private family papers; look
            for Biographies, Diaries, town/county histories and newspaper articles
            which may mention the family; locate marriage records or obits for her & her
            siblings which may mention her parents names & siblings names. There is
            more, but that's a good start.

            Good luck, if you need more help let us know.

            Susan

            On 9/8/06, arbywofford <arbywofford@...> wrote:

            > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
            > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
            > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
            > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the problem.
            > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
            > of help and give me some other options??
            > Rosemary
            > arbywofford@...

          • Tom Knox
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
              Rosemary -

              That is correct - that far back, there might not be a civil record
              (county or town) of her birth; there might be an existing church
              record or a family record (like a family bible).

              However, to find siblings & parents, you do not necessarily need the
              birth certificate.
              In the 1880 census, there are three main candidates:
              1880 Bullock, Crenshaw, AL - Ineze Johnson age 14 born GA
              1880 Bainbridge, Decatur, GA - Inez M Johnson age 14 born GA
              1880 Town, Newton, GA - Ines Johnson age 14 born GA

              Since you specify Newton County, I would suggest that circumstantial
              evidence leans towards the Newton County possibility (Decatur County
              is on the south edge of GA next to Florida).

              1880 Town, Newton, Georgia
              Johnson, Lidia/54, Elizabeth/18, Ines/14
              http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
              htx=View&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=GAT9_160-0248
              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/census/household_record.asp?
              HOUSEHOLD_CODE=1880US_12695962&frompage=5

              A widow and daughters - so let's look at 1870 -

              1870 Subdivision 96 (P.O. Covington), Newton, Georgia
              (all are marked as born "Geo")
              Johnson, Sidney/54?/farmer, Lydia/45, Newton W/24, Mary/19,
              (), Sidney A/15?, Samuel E/15, Anna/12, Indiana/9,
              (), N Elizabeth/8, Inez/4
              (two other JOHNSON households on the same census-page)
              http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
              htx=View&r=an&dbid=7163&iid=GAM593_168-0090

              1860 (P.O. Covington), Newton, Georgia
              (all are marked as born "Geo" except as indicated)
              Johnson, S R/46, L V/33, Francis E A/16, Newton W/13,
              (), Mary A/11, Sidnet A/8, Samuel F/5, Sarah A/3, Indiana/10m,
              (), W H/13, James/11
              next door is the household of)
              Johnson, Samuel/93:SC/farmer, Sarah A/83:SC,
              (), Samuel/52, Emily/35
              http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
              htx=View&r=an&dbid=7667&iid=GAM653_133-0035

              1850 Subdivision 65, Newton, Georgia
              (all are marked as born "Geo" except as indicated)
              Johnson, Sidney/33/farmer, Lidia/25,
              (), Frances/6, Williamson/4, Mary/1
              (next door is the household of)
              Johnson, Samuel/75:SC/farmer, Sarah/66:SC,
              (), Timutheus/25/female, Emily/22, Samuel/42
              http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
              htx=View&r=an&dbid=8054&iid=GAM432_79-0278

              1840 Town District, Newton, Georgia - Samuel Johnson

              1830 Newton County, Georgia - Samuel Johnson
              NOTE: Newton County was formed in 1821.

              Looking at AncestryWorldTrees
              (which are the same database as RootsWeb WorldConnect):
              http://www.ancestry.com/trees/awt/main.aspx
              http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi
              Given/FirstName = SIDNEY
              LastName/Surname = JOHNSON
              SpouseName = BAGBY
              There are 5 family trees:
              Sidney Johnson married Lydia/Lidia Bagby;
              Sidney son of Samuel Johnson & Sarah A Hightower

              - Tom Knox IBSSG

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "arbywofford"
              <arbywofford@...> wrote:

              > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
              > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
              > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
              > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the
              problem.
              > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
              > of help and give me some other options??
              > Rosemary
              > arbywofford@...

            • Rosemary Wofford
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
                Thank you Tom,
                I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to prove her birth parents.
                There are few surviving relatives to ask questions of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important people who were never related to the person telling the story, it all being a myth...
                ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ . I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info didn't have any idea of her parents names.
                The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T. but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in 1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
                Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so frustrated ....
                Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along , like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

                Many Regards
                Rosemary

                <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
                > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
                > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
                > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the
                problem.
                > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
                > of help and give me some other options??
                > Rosemary
                > arbywofford@...

              • Rosemary Wofford
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
                  Susan,
                  Thank you for your reply. My problem is , there are few relatives surviving who know any of the facts about Inez. I have written letters, made telephone calls and ask for pictures , but I have received no help. The two remaing grandchildren, have stories which are not true, one saying the name was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General Albert Sydney Johnson..I have checked this out to find it false....The bit of info I do have has her name as JOHNSON...one is a marriage certificate, the other is a newpaper article...I will check with Newton County Historical Society and see if Covington , Ga. has any old newspapers that may give me help
                  Thanks again
                  Rosemary

                  Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote:
                  This is where research can become more difficult. Some options are to: talk
                  to all your family members to see what they know; find her in the early
                  Census records - possibly with her parents & siblings (do research those
                  relative); find your 'cousins' - other distant members of your family tree
                  who may have information; find Bible records or private family papers; look
                  for Biographies, Diaries, town/county histories and newspaper articles
                  which may mention the family; locate marriage records or obits for her & her
                  siblings which may mention her parents names & siblings names. There is
                  more, but that's a good start.

                  Good luck, if you need more help let us know.

                  Susan

                  On 9/8/06, arbywofford <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                  > I am trying to get a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate. Her
                  > name was Inez Maude JOHNSON. She was born Nov. 8 1865 In Covington,
                  > Newton county Georgia. I have been told that birth records were not
                  > kept that far back. so what does a person do when that is the problem.
                  > I need to find the names of her parents and siblings...can anyone be
                  > of help and give me some other options??
                  > Rosemary
                  > arbywofford@...

                • Rosemary Wofford
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 9, 2006
                    I have a" burial page"..This is a report that was sent to me from the funeral home she was buried from. Her only son gave the information and reported her fathers name as George and mother UNKNOWN.. I am almost positive none of her children knew the names of thier grandparents. why? I have no idea
                    I have Inez in Covington in 1870 and 1880 she is 4 and 14 She left Covington in 1889 when she went to Fla to marry Thaddeus Geiger
                    I have her obit also which gave the samr info as the "burial page"
                    thanks Clark for the reply
                    Rosemary

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 11, 2006
                      Rosemary -

                      Do you have a copy of Inez' marriage certificate?
                      Oftentimes, the marriage certificate would list the parents of the
                      people getting married (to better-identify the people getting
                      married).

                      - Tom Knox

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rosemary Wofford
                      <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you Tom,
                      > I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I
                      have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made
                      me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to
                      prove her birth parents.
                      > There are few surviving relatives to ask questions
                      of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says
                      Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General
                      ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This
                      woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told
                      many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was
                      all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important
                      people who were never related to the person telling the story, it
                      all being a myth...
                      > ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was
                      George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ .
                      I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info
                      didn't have any idea of her parents names.
                      > The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the
                      true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T.
                      but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without
                      the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in
                      1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss
                      Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford
                      Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her
                      marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me
                      proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her
                      birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and
                      that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
                      > Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so
                      frustrated ....
                      > Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my
                      Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along ,
                      like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

                      > Many Regards
                      > Rosemary
                    • Rosemary Wofford
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 12, 2006
                        Tom,
                        Yes I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate. I ordered it just for that reason, hoping it would have her parents names on the certificate. Only the minister and county judges names are there besides of course Inez Johnsons and Thaddeus W. Geigers.
                        .Thank you Tom for the help
                        Rosemary

                        <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                        > Thank you Tom,
                        > I would love to be able to find an existing church record. I
                        have been told so many different stories on Inez, that it has made
                        me so confused that I wanted so very much to have a birth record to
                        prove her birth parents.
                        > There are few surviving relatives to ask questions
                        of...Onecousin , a grandchild of Inez, who lives in Indiana says
                        Inez 's surname was JOHNSTON and that she was related to the General
                        ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON who fought in the war between the states..This
                        woman says she was very close to her grandmother INEZ and was told
                        many stories of how courageous the general was...I think this was
                        all a fairy tale. I have heard before of stories told of important
                        people who were never related to the person telling the story, it
                        all being a myth...
                        > ..I have Inez's buial records which state her fathers name was
                        George and mother UNKNOWN. This info was given by the son of INEZ .
                        I really think the granddaughter and the son who gave the info
                        didn't have any idea of her parents names.
                        > The names you list below, Sidney and Lydia seem to me to be the
                        true parents. and that her name was not spelled JOHNSTON, with a T.
                        but Johnson . Now I must say that the son did spell her name without
                        the T. and I have an article from the Covington News back in
                        1889 ,the year she and Thaddeus were married, and it said that Miss
                        Inez JOHNSON of Covington was leaving on the fast train to Sanford
                        Florida to marry Thaddeus W. Geiger.... I also have a copy of her
                        marriage certificate with her name again JOHNSON, so that gives me
                        proof of the surname ....I would be delighted to have a copy of her
                        birth certificate which would give me the correct parents names, and
                        that was what I have tried so hard to obtain, but to no avail...
                        > Can you understand why now after hearing my story I am so
                        frustrated ....
                        > Thank you so much for the info you sent.I will add this to my
                        Family tree maker, and until something more sourceful comes along ,
                        like a birth certificate, I will keep it this way

                        > Many Regards
                        > Rosemary

                      • Rebecca Betz-Festa
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 22, 2006
                          <arbywofford@...> wrote:

                          > Tom,
                          > Yes I have a certified copy of the marriage certificate. I
                          ordered it just for that reason, hoping it would have her parents
                          names on the certificate. Only the minister and county judges names
                          are there besides of course Inez Johnsons and Thaddeus W. Geigers.
                          > .Thank you Tom for the help
                          > Rosemary

                          Hi Rosemary:

                          I found out, at least in Philadelphia, PA, that the certified copy of
                          the marriage license is the copy of the return that was filed by the
                          minister/judge, and signed by the bride and groom, and any witnesses,
                          after the ceremony has taken place. Also, in Pennsylvania, it is
                          filed in the county where the marriage took place, which may or may
                          not be the same place/county where the license was applied for.
                          There is a separate marriage license application that has the
                          information you are looking for. This was how I found out who my
                          Grandfathers parents were. You may want to check with Sanford,
                          Florida, and see if there is a separate marriage license application
                          that you can get a copy of. Good luck with your search!

                          Rebecca