Looking for Kerr family

  • ayotte218
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hello everyone. I am new to genealogy because my hubby made an
      offhand comment that he would like to visit his infant brother's grave
      in Missoula, MT. The baby died before he was born and we did find
      where he is buried. One thing led to another; we have found his
      grandfather's grave in Whitefish. In the 1930 census, we found a
      Julia Kerr, daughter in law. Since his father is the only son, it
      seems reasonable that he was married to a Julia at that time.
      However, he married my husband's mother in 1935 or 1936. We want to
      find Julia's records to see if my husband has any siblings. Can
      anyone help me? Julia was italian and we assume they may have married
      in 1925-1930 because hubby's father was only 16 in the 1920 census.
      Any ideas?

      Louise
    • lostdaisy04012000
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
        If you provide a little more information I could check a few things
        out for you online. Montana didn't start requiring marriage records
        until 1943, so it might not be possible to find a certificate.

        What was your husband's father's full name? Where did he live? Where
        was Julia living on the 1930 census? Who was she living with? The
        1930 census has a column that asks for the age of the individual at
        the time of their first marriage. You could give an estimated year
        when she was married by using this number and her age listed. Do you
        know where she is buried? If so, are there years listed on the
        tombstone?

        The Montana Historical Society is great at looking up old obituaries
        when you know when and where to look. I've had much luck by asking
        them to do a search. They are at:
        http://www.his.state.mt.us/research/library/researchrequests.asp
      • Tom Knox
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
          Louise -

          Is this the correct KERR family ?

          1930 Spokane, Spokane, Washington
          Kerr, Florence, head 44 widow married at age 21 born MN:MN:France
          occupation:None
          (), Normand, son 23 married at age 22 born MN:MN:MN
          - Machinist, Steam Railroad; veteran:No
          (), Elenore, daughter 21 widow married at age 20 born MN:MN:MN
          - Saleslady Candy store
          (), Julia, daughter in law 22 married at age 21 born Italy:Ita:Ita
          - Beauty operator, Beauty parlor
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=6224&iid=WAT626_2517-1053

          1920 Whitefish, Flathead, Montana
          Kerr, Soren S, head 39 married born MN:Denmark:Denmark
          - Locomotive Engineer, Railroad
          (), Florence J, wife 36 married born MN:VT:MN
          (), Normand A, son 13 born MN:MN:MN
          (), Eleanor J, daughter 11 born MN:MN:MN
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=6061&iid=MTT625_971-0455

          1910 St Paul Ward 9, Ramsey, Minnesota
          (indexed as KARR but could also be KERR)
          Kerr?, Saren, head 30 married.1 4 yrs born Denmark
          - immigrated 1882? Naturalized; Engineer, G.N.R.R.
          (), Florence, wife 30 married.1 4 yrs born MN:MN:MN
          - 2 children 2 living
          (), Norman, son 3 born MN:Denmark:MN
          (), Elenor, daughter 1+3m? born MN:Denmark:MN
          (), Einer, brother 19 born MN:Denmark:MN
          - Rate Clerk?, C.G.W.R.R.?
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=7884&iid=MNT624_718-0485

          1900 St Paul Ward 1, Ramsey, MN "363 Magnolia"
          Kerr, Soren, head 39 married 18 yrs born May 1861 Den:Den:Den
          - immigrated 1887 13 yrs ago; Car repairer, NP RR
          - owns the house mortgaged
          (), Johanna, wife 44 married 18 yrs born Jan 1856 Den:Den:Den
          - immigrated 1887 13 yrs ago; 7 children 5 living
          (), Soren Jr, son 16 born Sept 1883 Den:Den:Den
          - immigrated 1887 13 yrs ago; Messenger whol Hardware
          (), Carl C, son 10 born Aug 1889 MN:Den:Den At School
          (), Einer, son 8 born Sept 1891 MN:Den:Den At School
          (), Harry, son 5 born Aug 1894 MN:Den:Den (ditto marks)
          (), Arthur, son 2 born July 1897 MN:Den:Den
          http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
          htx=View&r=an&dbid=7602&iid=MNT623_782-0999

          World War I Draft Registration Card
          Carl Christan Kerr 2 Aug 1888
          Einer Kerr 18 Sep 1891
          Harry Kerr 28 Aug 1894
          Arthur Kerr 9 Jul 1897
          ----------
          Soren Kerr born 16 Aug 1885
          (son of Rasmus Kerr; living in 1930 St.Paul,MN)

          - Tom Knox IBSSG

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "ayotte218"
          <ayotte@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone. I am new to genealogy because my hubby made an
          > offhand comment that he would like to visit his infant brother's
          grave in Missoula, MT. The baby died before he was born and we did
          find where he is buried. One thing led to another; we have found
          his grandfather's grave in Whitefish. In the 1930 census, we found
          a Julia Kerr, daughter in law. Since his father is the only son,
          it seems reasonable that he was married to a Julia at that time.
          > However, he married my husband's mother in 1935 or 1936. We want
          to find Julia's records to see if my husband has any siblings.
          Can anyone help me? Julia was italian and we assume they may have
          married in 1925-1930 because hubby's father was only 16 in the
          1920 census.
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Louise

        • Tom Knox
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
            Louise -

            Montana Death Index, 1907-2002
            Name: Soren Kerr Gender: Male
            Age: 42 Estimated Birth Year: 1880
            Death Date: 11 Apr 1922 Index Number: Fltd 841
            Source: Montana Office of Vital Statistics

            World War I Draft Registration Card
            Soren Samuel Kerr born 09 Sep 1880
            address: 327 Spokane Ave Whitefish Flathead Montana
            occupation: Engineer, G N R Company (Great Northern Railroad)
            nearest relative: Florence Kerr (same address)
            http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx=View&r=an&dbid=6482&iid=MT-
            1684038-2572

            Looks like Soren (Senior) & Johanna Kerr took a vacation?
            Florida Passenger Lists, 1898-1951
            Name: Soren Kerr
            Arrival Date: 6 Jun 1916
            Birth Date: abt 1861 Age: 55 Gender: Male
            Nationality/Race: Danish
            Ship: Miami
            Port of Departure: Havana, Cuba
            Port of Arrival: Key West, Florida
            Last Residence: Cuba
            Birth Location: Denmark
            Microfilm Roll Number: t940_34
            Page: 017 Line Number: 18
            http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?
            htx=View&r=an&dbid=8842&iid=t940_34-0648
            NOTE: line 19 is "Kerr, Johanan, age 59"

            This *might* be Soren (Senior) Kerr -
            Minnesota Death Index, 1908-2002
            Name: Soren Kerr
            Death Date: 21 Sep 1931
            Death County: Ramsey
            State File Number: 024910
            Certificate Number: 024910
            Certificate Year: 1931
            Record Number: 600264

            NOTE: the *other* Soren Kerr (b. 16 Aug 1885 son of Rasmus Kerr)
            died 24 Dec 1963 in Ramsey County, MN.

            Soren/Soran & Johanna Kerr/Karr are also found in
            1920 and 1930 St Paul, Ramsey, Minnesota censuses.
            I did not find them in the 1910 census -
            were they living in Cuba already?

            - Tom Knox
          • Ron Lahav
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2006
              Hello Louise,

              The Kerrs are one of the oldest and greatest families
              of Scotland. If you would like further information
              please contact me off List at <lahavs@...>.

              Ron Lahav
              Newcastle upon Tyne, England

              http://mail.yahoo.com