Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Surname Research - MAYHEW

  • April Payne
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      I trust you've done all the preliminary work, digging up family papers and such and interviewed relatives? Next step is to work backwards: death, marriage, baptism, birth. Census records are also a very good place to start. There are many things you can learn from them such as occupation, education, how long they've been in this country, birth order of siblings, etc..

      See if Maryland has a death index available online. I learned the maiden name of my paternal great-grandmother through the California Death Index online. It was part of the information included in my grandmother's death records! (My father's mother died very young at age 37 and was estranged from her parents so I only knew her maiden name, not the maiden name of her mother, which turns out to be Riley.) Now I have both surnames of her parents, where once I only had one.

      If you can afford either Genealogy.com or Ancestry.com, many census files are available through them. Rootsweb.com is a freebie site and may help to get you started.

      april

      Ron <ronjr1970@...> wrote:
      Just beginning my genealogical research. Looking for info on MAYHEW
      surname from Maryland. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2006
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, kate <chrismomxyz@...>
        wrote:

        > First, do you know any of the specific Mayhew people you are
        looking for?
        > I would try Family Search first:
        > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
        >
        > and rootsweb:
        > http://www.rootsweb.com
        >
        > and I would try googling any of the people you know already.
        Iwould try to find out what city/county they are from, that sort of
        thing.

        > If you post what you know to start with, we can help you out.
        > peace
        > Kate

        Thanks for the reply...sorry it has taken sooo long to get back to
        you.
        Gathering as much "basic" info as I can from surviving family and
        will keep ya posted...thanks again for your input.