Surname Research - MAYHEW

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      Just beginning my genealogical research. Looking for info on MAYHEW
      surname from Maryland. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
    • kate
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        First, do you know any of the specific Mayhew people you are looking for?
        I would try Family Search first:
        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp

        and rootsweb:
        http://www.rootsweb.com

        and I would try googling any of the people you know already. Iwould try to find out what city/county they are from, that sort of thing.

        If you post what you know to start with, we can help you out.
        peace
        Kate

        Ron <ronjr1970@...> wrote: Just beginning my genealogical research. Looking for info on MAYHEW
        surname from Maryland. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

      • April Payne
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
          I trust you've done all the preliminary work, digging up family papers and such and interviewed relatives? Next step is to work backwards: death, marriage, baptism, birth. Census records are also a very good place to start. There are many things you can learn from them such as occupation, education, how long they've been in this country, birth order of siblings, etc..

          See if Maryland has a death index available online. I learned the maiden name of my paternal great-grandmother through the California Death Index online. It was part of the information included in my grandmother's death records! (My father's mother died very young at age 37 and was estranged from her parents so I only knew her maiden name, not the maiden name of her mother, which turns out to be Riley.) Now I have both surnames of her parents, where once I only had one.

          If you can afford either Genealogy.com or Ancestry.com, many census files are available through them. Rootsweb.com is a freebie site and may help to get you started.

          april

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2006
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, kate <chrismomxyz@...>
            wrote:

            > First, do you know any of the specific Mayhew people you are
            looking for?
            > I would try Family Search first:
            > http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/default.asp
            >
            > and rootsweb:
            > http://www.rootsweb.com
            >
            > and I would try googling any of the people you know already.
            Iwould try to find out what city/county they are from, that sort of
            thing.

            > If you post what you know to start with, we can help you out.
            > peace
            > Kate

            Thanks for the reply...sorry it has taken sooo long to get back to
            you.
            Gathering as much "basic" info as I can from surviving family and
            will keep ya posted...thanks again for your input.