Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Locating death records

  • Norm Vine
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
      I don't know what years he died but if it was after social security started you couls check the social security index for death information. Also the state of Kansas may not have kept records then but maybe the city or town wher he lived at the time of his death did. You could inquire of the city or town clerk if you know which town it was.

      Norm

      April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
      Unfortunately for me, Kansas didn't start keeping Death Records until a few years after my great-grandfather passed away! Another block wall I keep running into,grrr.

      april

      David Sylvester <Roots@...> wrote:

      Locating death records
      Genealogy tips

      http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/LIFE/608140346/1005

    • Lindsay
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
        If you don't mind me asking, about what year did he pass away? Where in Kansas? I have a good friend that works for the vital records department for the state of Kansas and has helped me numerous times by looking through the archives. If you want I can ask her to look and see if she can find a death cert. for you.

        Lindsay

        Norm Vine <norm7992@...> wrote: I don't know what years he died but if it was after social security started you couls check the social security index for death information. Also the state of Kansas may not have kept records then but maybe the city or town wher he lived at the time of his death did. You could inquire of the city or town clerk if you know which town it was.

        Norm

        April Payne <april_anastasia@...> wrote:
        Unfortunately for me, Kansas didn't start keeping Death Records until a few years after my great-grandfather passed away! Another block wall I keep running into,grrr.

        april

        David Sylvester <Roots@...> wrote:

        Locating death records
        Genealogy tips

        http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/LIFE/608140346/1005

      • April Payne
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 21, 2006
          We drove to Kansas about three years ago, taking our daughter to Ft. Riley to meet up with her hubby who had recently been stationed there. He had to go ahead of her, while she awaited the packers etc. We were a few hours' drive from Argentine, KS where my great-grandfather resided but unfortunately we didn't have time to make the extra mileage before heading back to CA. Great-grandpa worked for the RR but so far I haven't been able to glean anything about that off the Internet.

          I'll have to see what I can find over the Internet for the social security index, since the older CD I have doesn't list him.

          Thanks for the heads up.

          april

          Norm Vine <norm7992@...> wrote:
          I don't know what years he died but if it was after social security started you couls check the social security index for death information. Also the state of Kansas may not have kept records then but maybe the city or town wher he lived at the time of his death did. You could inquire of the city or town clerk if you know which town it was.

          Norm

          Recent Activity

          15
          New Members

          1
          New Links

          Visit Your Group

          Genealogy research
          Genealogy ancestor
          Genealogy research site
          Ancestor genealogy

          Y! Messenger
          Want a quick chat?
          Chat over IM with
          group members.

          Y! Answers
          Ask, Answer, Find
          A new way to get
          information.

          Yahoo! Tech
          Hot Plasma TVs
          Compare the Top 5
          rated products.

          .

        • April Payne
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2006
            I don't mind at all and thanks for the help!

            My great-grandfather, Arthur Dewdney, died on March 11, 1905. He lived in Argentine, Kansas and worked for the railroad. I'm told his death was work-related. He was born in England on March 25, 1862 according to a family bible and he came to America in 1978 and was a naturalized citizen. He married an Edith Pearl Herring on May 19, 1889.

            Hope I haven't flooded you with non-essential facts, but I've come to learn that the more you know about somebody, the easier it is to identify them. :-D

            Thanks again for the help, you have no idea how much this means to me. I've been stuck for ages.

            april

            Lindsay <seagal_cheerleader@...> wrote:
            If you don't mind me asking, about what year did he pass away? Where in Kansas? I have a good friend that works for the vital records department for the state of Kansas and has helped me numerous times by looking through the archives. If you want I can ask her to look and see if she can find a death cert. for you.

            Lindsay

            Recent Activity

            13
            New Members

            1
            New Links

            Visit Your Group

            Genealogy research
            Genealogy ancestor
            Genealogy research site
            Ancestor genealogy

            Yahoo! 360°
            Get Started
            Create your page
            Share your life

            Shop and Save
            Yahoo! Shopping
            Find great deals
            for Back to School.

            Yahoo! News
            Space News
            Get the latest
            space related news

            .

          • Rebecca Betz-Festa
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 23, 2006
              Found this one:

              1900 US Federal Census
              State - Washington
              County - Snohomish
              District - Mountain Park
              Supervisors District 285
              Enumeration District 217
              Sheet 12B
              House 206/Family 259

              Dewdney, Arthur - Head - White - Male - Mar. 1861 - age 39 - Married
              11 years - Born England - Father born England - Mother born England -
              Immigrated 1878 - 22 years - Naturalized - Sec. Forman (?)

              Dewdney, Pearl - Wife - White - Female - July 1872 - age 27 - Married
              11 years - 5 children born/4 children alive - Born Kansas - Father
              born Illinois - Mother born Illinois

              Dewdney, Ella - Daughter - White - Female - May 1890 - age 10 - born
              in Kansas - Father born England - Mother born Kansas

              Dewdney, Alice - Daughter - White - Female - June 1892 - age 7 - born
              Kansas - Father born England - Mother born Kansas

              Dewdney, Arthur - Son - White - Male - Dec. 1895 - age 4 - born
              Kansas - Father born England - Mother born Kansas

              Dewdney, William - Son - White - Male - Dec. 1899 - age 1 - born
              Kansas - Father born England - Mother born Kansas

              Could this be your Dewdney family?

              Good Luck with your search!

              Rebecca

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
              <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

              > I don't mind at all and thanks for the help!
              >
              > My great-grandfather, Arthur Dewdney, died on March 11, 1905. He
              lived in Argentine, Kansas and worked for the railroad. I'm told his
              death was work-related. He was born in England on March 25, 1862
              according to a family bible and he came to America in 1978 and was a
              naturalized citizen. He married an Edith Pearl Herring on May 19,
              1889.

              > Hope I haven't flooded you with non-essential facts, but I've
              come to learn that the more you know about somebody, the easier it is
              to identify them. :-D

              > Thanks again for the help, you have no idea how much this means
              to me. I've been stuck for ages.

              > april
              >
              > Lindsay <seagal_cheerleader@...> wrote:
              > If you don't mind me asking, about what year did he pass
              away? Where in Kansas? I have a good friend that works for the vital
              records department for the state of Kansas and has helped me numerous
              times by looking through the archives. If you want I can ask her to
              look and see if she can find a death cert. for you.

              > Lindsay

            • April Payne
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 23, 2006
                Yes I have a copy of that census, it's the very first one I found. The eldest daughter is Frances Etta and Alice is actually Mary Alice. My grandfather was born the following November (1901) up in Robe WA and the family returned to Kansas some time after that.

                Thanks,

                april