Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: TB sanitoriums

  • Penny
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
      Highline Hospital (south of Seattle) owns the former Riverton Hospital, and is now using it as a Rehab and Recovery Hospital. Riverton started its life as a TB hospital for those from Seattle and surrounding areas. Highline Hospital should have any historical information you might want. I say this because I spent some time there (at Riverton) with my father after his surgeries, and saw many photos there of the original place and people.

      Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote: Well I would think my grandmother had TB in Washington state since
      that is where my Mom was born.

      Keri

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigred1442"
      <bigred1442@...> wrote:

      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello all.
      > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
      > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
      > that
      > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
      know
      > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
      > pregnant
      > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
      she
      > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
      > >
      > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
      away
      > this
      > > year.
      > >
      > > Thanks for any ideas.
      > >
      > > Keri
      > >
      > Hi Keri!
      >
      > Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
      > I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
      > patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
      > sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This
      was
      > in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
      > could ask some relatives if they do.
      > A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
      > scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
      > Good luck,
      > Diane

    • April Payne
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
        Thank you and I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss.

        My father was the eldest of nine children. Grandma was a good Catholic, *wink. The youngest two children were taken away by the state being so very young (babies, really), since Grandma's condition wasn't good. The woman who was their foster mother took them illegally out of state and they were "missing" for forty-five years! I have to chalk it up to my Aunt Dolly, the youngest daughter, who never gave up. She hunted down her birth certificate whenever her "mother" was out of the house and in her teens learned what her true surname was.

        As an adult, she hit the library and systematically went through all the phones books until she found a man that bore her father's name. She wrote to him and it turned out to be my Uncle! He contacted his other sisters and next thing I know I'm getting a phone call to come for a family reunion! Most of the siblings live out here in California (only one of them was deceased at the time, my father's next younger brother who died of a brain tumor when he was ten ) so it wasn't hard for them to gather. What really impressed my Aunt and uncle, (Billy was the youngest in the family and those two were raised together at least) was that the second generation, all of us cousins, knew their names and that they existed!

        So, seeing as this group has been so fragmented, and their grandmother had cut her own children off from their father's English family, it's no wonder my digging is so hard and that my work has really been cut out for me.

        april

        Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
        I am so sorry for your loss.
        I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
        people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
        home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
        to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
        said NO.
        My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
        hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
        passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
        years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
        and 18. Brave brave parents.

        Keri

        Recent Activity

        15