Re: [Genealogy Research Club] TB sanitoriums

  • fplum
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi Trish!

      Did he go to the VA Hosp in Arizona? I believe that my grandfather Robert C PLUMSTEAD worked as a male nurse in the TB section of the VA hospital. I can find out more tonight from my uncle.

      Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
      Researching the following Surnames:
      Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
        My paternal grandmother, too, was shipped off to Arizona for a time due to T.B. I don't know if she was institutionalize or not. I just know what my late father told me, that a doctor suggested she go there. They lived originally in Kansas, but Grandpa moved her to California and then she went to Arizona. Grandma died of T.B. back in California on Christmas in 1947. She was 37.

        April

        Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
        Thank you. I do appreciate it.
        I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them. My
        Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
        shipped off somewhere or what.

        Keri

        Recent Activity

        16
        New Members

        Visit Your Group

        General liability
        American generals
        Family genealogy
        Genealogy research
        Genealogy family tree

        Y! Toolbar
        Groups in 1 Click
        Add Groups to
        Yahoo! Toolbar.

        Take a Trip
        Find Great Deals
        Yahoo! Travel
        makes it easy

        Ads on Yahoo!
        Learn more now.
        Reach customers
        searching for you.

        .

      • Keri
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
          I found out from my Father that she was in Firland TB Sanatorium in
          Seattle.

          Thanks all.

          Keri

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kandi G."
          <hobbs1727@...> wrote:

          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@ wrote:
          > Keri,
          > Alot of people were sent to the nearest sanitorium...sometimes out
          > of state. There was one in Kentucky where I live also. It has been
          > closed down...but I suggest that you look up the names of the TB
          > sanitoriums and then try and find out patient lists if possible.
          not
          > much help I know but it's a place to start.
          > Kandi
          > >

          > Keri:
          > >
          > > Don't know if this would be of any help, but my mother-in-law
          had
          > TB at age
          > > 18 and was sent to a sanitorium upstate NY- it was Fallsburg, NY
          > where she was
          > > for abut 1 year. Supposedly, the air there was cleaner than in
          > Brooklyn, NY
          > > where she lived. If you know where your grandmother lived, that
          > might be a
          > > start.
          > >
          > > Ina Getzoff
          > > Metuchen, NJ

        • Penny
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
            Highline Hospital (south of Seattle) owns the former Riverton Hospital, and is now using it as a Rehab and Recovery Hospital. Riverton started its life as a TB hospital for those from Seattle and surrounding areas. Highline Hospital should have any historical information you might want. I say this because I spent some time there (at Riverton) with my father after his surgeries, and saw many photos there of the original place and people.

            Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote: Well I would think my grandmother had TB in Washington state since
            that is where my Mom was born.

            Keri

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigred1442"
            <bigred1442@...> wrote:

            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello all.
            > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
            > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
            > that
            > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
            know
            > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
            > pregnant
            > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
            she
            > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
            > >
            > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
            away
            > this
            > > year.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any ideas.
            > >
            > > Keri
            > >
            > Hi Keri!
            >
            > Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
            > I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
            > patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
            > sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This
            was
            > in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
            > could ask some relatives if they do.
            > A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
            > scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
            > Good luck,
            > Diane

          • Keri
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
              I am so sorry for your loss.
              I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
              people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
              home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
              to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
              said NO.
              My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
              hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
              passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
              years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
              and 18. Brave brave parents.

              Keri

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
              <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

              > My paternal grandmother, too, was shipped off to Arizona for a
              time due to T.B. I don't know if she was institutionalize or not.
              I just know what my late father told me, that a doctor suggested she
              go there. They lived originally in Kansas, but Grandpa moved her to
              California and then she went to Arizona. Grandma died of T.B. back
              in California on Christmas in 1947. She was 37.

              > April
              >

              > Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
              > Thank you. I do appreciate it.
              > I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them.
              My
              > Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
              > shipped off somewhere or what.
              >
              > Keri
              >

              > Recent Activity
              >
              > 16
              > New Members
              >
              > Visit Your Group
              >
              > General liability
              > American generals
              > Family genealogy
              > Genealogy research
              > Genealogy family tree
              >
              > Y! Toolbar
              > Groups in 1 Click
              > Add Groups to
              > Yahoo! Toolbar.
              >
              > Take a Trip
              > Find Great Deals
              > Yahoo! Travel
              > makes it easy
              >
              > Ads on Yahoo!
              > Learn more now.
              > Reach customers
              > searching for you.
              >

              > .

            • April Payne
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
                Thank you and I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss.

                My father was the eldest of nine children. Grandma was a good Catholic, *wink. The youngest two children were taken away by the state being so very young (babies, really), since Grandma's condition wasn't good. The woman who was their foster mother took them illegally out of state and they were "missing" for forty-five years! I have to chalk it up to my Aunt Dolly, the youngest daughter, who never gave up. She hunted down her birth certificate whenever her "mother" was out of the house and in her teens learned what her true surname was.

                As an adult, she hit the library and systematically went through all the phones books until she found a man that bore her father's name. She wrote to him and it turned out to be my Uncle! He contacted his other sisters and next thing I know I'm getting a phone call to come for a family reunion! Most of the siblings live out here in California (only one of them was deceased at the time, my father's next younger brother who died of a brain tumor when he was ten ) so it wasn't hard for them to gather. What really impressed my Aunt and uncle, (Billy was the youngest in the family and those two were raised together at least) was that the second generation, all of us cousins, knew their names and that they existed!

                So, seeing as this group has been so fragmented, and their grandmother had cut her own children off from their father's English family, it's no wonder my digging is so hard and that my work has really been cut out for me.

                april

                Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                I am so sorry for your loss.
                I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
                people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
                home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
                to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
                said NO.
                My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
                hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
                passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
                years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
                and 18. Brave brave parents.

                Keri

                Recent Activity

                15