Just a quick hello, I'm new!

  • April Payne
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5 9:19 AM
      Hello,

      My name is April and I've been dabbling in my family's tree on and off for about five to six years now. I keep running into roadblocks so it occurred to me today that if I joined a group, such as this one, perhaps I'll get the help I need to push forward. I belong to Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com since I use the Family Tree Maker program.

      The names I'm researching are: DEWDNEY, RABBITT or RABBITTS, RILEY, HERRING, DAVIS (formally DUNCAN), HERD or HEARD, COVER, PAYNE and BALBANOW or BALABANOFF or BALABANOFF.

      I'm not farther than my own great-grandparents due to a lack of names. My maternal grandmother didn't get along well with others, lol, and so we've pretty much been cut off from the families of her aunts and uncles (of which her mother was one of eleven children). Even trying to piece all the names together was tricky, (Grandma couldn't remember them all!) but at last I've found most of them on a census and at least I now have their birth order. There were five or six sets of twins in that family, of which my great-grandmother and her sister were the only same sex twins.

      On my Dad's side, his grandmother cut off ties with her English husband's relatives after his tragic death. Arthur DEWDNEY was our immigrant from England, 1878, so I have no idea who still lives in the UK that I'm related to and there is some question as to the name of my second great-grandmother on that side. I can't find her name anywhere in the region they were listed as hailing from (Surrey County, near Dorking) in a second family bible. And I've never been in touch with any older relatives that might help me in my search.

      My head is getting a tad sore from running repeatedly into block walls. Hopefully some of you can point me in a more productive direction? Because my work has been sporadic over the five to six years, I'm still pretty green at this.

      Thank you one and all and I look forward to being a part of this group and contributing where I can.

      April