Re: [Genealogy Research Club] TB sanitoriums

  • fplum
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi Trish!

      Did he go to the VA Hosp in Arizona? I believe that my grandfather Robert C PLUMSTEAD worked as a male nurse in the TB section of the VA hospital. I can find out more tonight from my uncle.

      Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
      Researching the following Surnames:
      Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@... wrote:
        Keri,
        Alot of people were sent to the nearest sanitorium...sometimes out
        of state. There was one in Kentucky where I live also. It has been
        closed down...but I suggest that you look up the names of the TB
        sanitoriums and then try and find out patient lists if possible. not
        much help I know but it's a place to start.
        Kandi

        Keri:

        > Don't know if this would be of any help, but my mother-in-law had
        TB at age
        > 18 and was sent to a sanitorium upstate NY- it was Fallsburg, NY
        where she was
        > for abut 1 year. Supposedly, the air there was cleaner than in
        Brooklyn, NY
        > where she lived. If you know where your grandmother lived, that
        might be a
        > start.
        >
        > Ina Getzoff
        > Metuchen, NJ

      • Keri
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
          Well I would think my grandmother had TB in Washington state since
          that is where my Mom was born.

          Keri

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigred1442"
          <bigred1442@...> wrote:

          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello all.
          > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
          > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
          > that
          > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
          know
          > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
          > pregnant
          > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
          she
          > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
          > >
          > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
          away
          > this
          > > year.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any ideas.
          > >
          > > Keri
          > >
          > Hi Keri!
          >
          > Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
          > I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
          > patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
          > sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This
          was
          > in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
          > could ask some relatives if they do.
          > A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
          > scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
          > Good luck,
          > Diane

        • April Payne
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
            My paternal grandmother, too, was shipped off to Arizona for a time due to T.B. I don't know if she was institutionalize or not. I just know what my late father told me, that a doctor suggested she go there. They lived originally in Kansas, but Grandpa moved her to California and then she went to Arizona. Grandma died of T.B. back in California on Christmas in 1947. She was 37.

            April

            Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
            Thank you. I do appreciate it.
            I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them. My
            Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
            shipped off somewhere or what.

            Keri

            Recent Activity

            16
            New Members

            Visit Your Group

            General liability
            American generals
            Family genealogy
            Genealogy research
            Genealogy family tree

            Y! Toolbar
            Groups in 1 Click
            Add Groups to
            Yahoo! Toolbar.

            Take a Trip
            Find Great Deals
            Yahoo! Travel
            makes it easy

            Ads on Yahoo!
            Learn more now.
            Reach customers
            searching for you.

            .

          • Keri
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
              I found out from my Father that she was in Firland TB Sanatorium in
              Seattle.

              Thanks all.

              Keri

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kandi G."
              <hobbs1727@...> wrote:

              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@ wrote:
              > Keri,
              > Alot of people were sent to the nearest sanitorium...sometimes out
              > of state. There was one in Kentucky where I live also. It has been
              > closed down...but I suggest that you look up the names of the TB
              > sanitoriums and then try and find out patient lists if possible.
              not
              > much help I know but it's a place to start.
              > Kandi
              > >

              > Keri:
              > >
              > > Don't know if this would be of any help, but my mother-in-law
              had
              > TB at age
              > > 18 and was sent to a sanitorium upstate NY- it was Fallsburg, NY
              > where she was
              > > for abut 1 year. Supposedly, the air there was cleaner than in
              > Brooklyn, NY
              > > where she lived. If you know where your grandmother lived, that
              > might be a
              > > start.
              > >
              > > Ina Getzoff
              > > Metuchen, NJ

            • Penny
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                Highline Hospital (south of Seattle) owns the former Riverton Hospital, and is now using it as a Rehab and Recovery Hospital. Riverton started its life as a TB hospital for those from Seattle and surrounding areas. Highline Hospital should have any historical information you might want. I say this because I spent some time there (at Riverton) with my father after his surgeries, and saw many photos there of the original place and people.

                Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote: Well I would think my grandmother had TB in Washington state since

                <bigred1442@...> wrote:

                > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello all.
                > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                > that
                > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
                know
                > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                > pregnant
                > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
                she
                > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                > >
                > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
                away
                > this
                > > year.
                > >
                > > Thanks for any ideas.
                > >
                > > Keri
                > >
                > Hi Keri!
                >
                > Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
                > I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
                > patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
                > sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This
                was
                > in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
                > could ask some relatives if they do.
                > A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
                > scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
                > Good luck,
                > Diane

              • Keri
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
                  I am so sorry for your loss.
                  I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
                  people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
                  home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
                  to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
                  said NO.
                  My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
                  hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
                  passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
                  years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
                  and 18. Brave brave parents.

                  Keri

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
                  <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

                  > My paternal grandmother, too, was shipped off to Arizona for a
                  time due to T.B. I don't know if she was institutionalize or not.
                  I just know what my late father told me, that a doctor suggested she
                  go there. They lived originally in Kansas, but Grandpa moved her to
                  California and then she went to Arizona. Grandma died of T.B. back
                  in California on Christmas in 1947. She was 37.

                  > April
                  >

                  > Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                  > Thank you. I do appreciate it.
                  > I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them.
                  My
                  > Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
                  > shipped off somewhere or what.
                  >
                  > Keri
                  >

                  > Recent Activity
                  >
                  > 16
                  > New Members
                  >
                  > Visit Your Group
                  >
                  > General liability
                  > American generals
                  > Family genealogy
                  > Genealogy research
                  > Genealogy family tree
                  >
                  > Y! Toolbar
                  > Groups in 1 Click
                  > Add Groups to
                  > Yahoo! Toolbar.
                  >
                  > Take a Trip
                  > Find Great Deals
                  > Yahoo! Travel
                  > makes it easy
                  >
                  > Ads on Yahoo!
                  > Learn more now.
                  > Reach customers
                  > searching for you.
                  >

                  > .

                • April Payne
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
                    Thank you and I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss.

                    My father was the eldest of nine children. Grandma was a good Catholic, *wink. The youngest two children were taken away by the state being so very young (babies, really), since Grandma's condition wasn't good. The woman who was their foster mother took them illegally out of state and they were "missing" for forty-five years! I have to chalk it up to my Aunt Dolly, the youngest daughter, who never gave up. She hunted down her birth certificate whenever her "mother" was out of the house and in her teens learned what her true surname was.

                    As an adult, she hit the library and systematically went through all the phones books until she found a man that bore her father's name. She wrote to him and it turned out to be my Uncle! He contacted his other sisters and next thing I know I'm getting a phone call to come for a family reunion! Most of the siblings live out here in California (only one of them was deceased at the time, my father's next younger brother who died of a brain tumor when he was ten ) so it wasn't hard for them to gather. What really impressed my Aunt and uncle, (Billy was the youngest in the family and those two were raised together at least) was that the second generation, all of us cousins, knew their names and that they existed!

                    So, seeing as this group has been so fragmented, and their grandmother had cut her own children off from their father's English family, it's no wonder my digging is so hard and that my work has really been cut out for me.

                    april

                    Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                    I am so sorry for your loss.
                    I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
                    people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
                    home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
                    to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
                    said NO.
                    My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
                    hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
                    passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
                    years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
                    and 18. Brave brave parents.

                    Keri

                    Recent Activity

                    15