Re: [Genealogy Research Club] TB sanitoriums

  • fplum
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
      Hi Trish!

      Did he go to the VA Hosp in Arizona? I believe that my grandfather Robert C PLUMSTEAD worked as a male nurse in the TB section of the VA hospital. I can find out more tonight from my uncle.

      Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
      Researching the following Surnames:
      Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/

      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
        Hi Keri:

        My Godmother had TB in the late 1920's/early 1930's. She was in the
        Pennsylania State Sanatorium for Tuberculosis #1, in Quincy Township,
        Franklin County, PA, on the 1930 Census. She was 18 years old at the
        time. Her family lived in Philadelphia, PA, and I am not sure exactly
        where Franklin County is, but I don't think it was too close. I will
        ask my Mother if she remembers anything about the TB sanatoriums. Good
        luck with your search.

        Rebecca

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all.
        > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
        > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive that
        > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I know
        > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was pregnant
        > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but she
        > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
        >
        > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed away
        this
        > year.
        >
        > Thanks for any ideas.
        >
        > Keri

      • Kandi G.
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@... wrote:
          Keri,
          Alot of people were sent to the nearest sanitorium...sometimes out
          of state. There was one in Kentucky where I live also. It has been
          closed down...but I suggest that you look up the names of the TB
          sanitoriums and then try and find out patient lists if possible. not
          much help I know but it's a place to start.
          Kandi

          Keri:

          > Don't know if this would be of any help, but my mother-in-law had
          TB at age
          > 18 and was sent to a sanitorium upstate NY- it was Fallsburg, NY
          where she was
          > for abut 1 year. Supposedly, the air there was cleaner than in
          Brooklyn, NY
          > where she lived. If you know where your grandmother lived, that
          might be a
          > start.
          >
          > Ina Getzoff
          > Metuchen, NJ

        • Keri
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
            Thank you. I do appreciate it.
            I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them. My
            Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
            shipped off somewhere or what.

            Keri

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Betz-Festa"
            <vct@...> wrote:

            > Hi Keri:
            >
            > My Godmother had TB in the late 1920's/early 1930's. She was in
            the
            > Pennsylania State Sanatorium for Tuberculosis #1, in Quincy
            Township,
            > Franklin County, PA, on the 1930 Census. She was 18 years old at
            the
            > time. Her family lived in Philadelphia, PA, and I am not sure
            exactly
            > where Franklin County is, but I don't think it was too close. I
            will
            > ask my Mother if she remembers anything about the TB sanatoriums.
            Good
            > luck with your search.
            >
            > Rebecca
            >
            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello all.
            > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
            > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
            that
            > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
            know
            > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
            pregnant
            > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
            she
            > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
            > >
            > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
            away
            > this
            > > year.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any ideas.
            > >
            > > Keri

          • Keri
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
              I know that in AZ there is a State mental hosptial in Phoenix. I
              dont know if that was part of the TB sanitoriums or not. Currently
              it houses the mentally ill.

              Keri

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Worster
              <princesstrish@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I too am interested in this topic. My great grandfather also
              had TB in the 1920's-30's and was sent to AZ to an institution,
              where he met my great grandmother, a nurse there. He died in
              California in the early 30's after my grandfather was born. I
              didn't know any of them and no one else asked questions. Any pearls
              of wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

              > Trish
              >
              > Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
              > Hello all.
              > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
              > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
              that
              > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I know
              > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
              pregnant
              > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but she
              > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
              >
              > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed away
              this
              > year.
              >
              > Thanks for any ideas.
              >
              > Keri

            • Keri
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
                Well I would think my grandmother had TB in Washington state since
                that is where my Mom was born.

                Keri

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigred1442"
                <bigred1442@...> wrote:

                > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello all.
                > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                > that
                > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
                know
                > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                > pregnant
                > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
                she
                > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                > >
                > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
                away
                > this
                > > year.
                > >
                > > Thanks for any ideas.
                > >
                > > Keri
                > >
                > Hi Keri!
                >
                > Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
                > I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
                > patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
                > sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This
                was
                > in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
                > could ask some relatives if they do.
                > A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
                > scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
                > Good luck,
                > Diane

              • Keri
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 6, 2006
                  Found out from my Father that my Grandmother was put in a TB
                  Sanatorium in Seattle back in 1943. She was taken from home by
                  ambulance.
                  Anyone know of this place in Seattle??

                  <vct@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Keri:
                  >
                  > My Godmother had TB in the late 1920's/early 1930's. She was in
                  the
                  > Pennsylania State Sanatorium for Tuberculosis #1, in Quincy
                  Township,
                  > Franklin County, PA, on the 1930 Census. She was 18 years old at
                  the
                  > time. Her family lived in Philadelphia, PA, and I am not sure
                  exactly
                  > where Franklin County is, but I don't think it was too close. I
                  will
                  > ask my Mother if she remembers anything about the TB sanatoriums.
                  Good
                  > luck with your search.
                  >
                  > Rebecca
                  >
                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hello all.
                  > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                  > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                  that
                  > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
                  know
                  > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                  pregnant
                  > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
                  she
                  > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                  > >
                  > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
                  away
                  > this
                  > > year.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for any ideas.
                  > >
                  > > Keri

                • April Payne
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                    My paternal grandmother, too, was shipped off to Arizona for a time due to T.B. I don't know if she was institutionalize or not. I just know what my late father told me, that a doctor suggested she go there. They lived originally in Kansas, but Grandpa moved her to California and then she went to Arizona. Grandma died of T.B. back in California on Christmas in 1947. She was 37.

                    April

                    Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                    Thank you. I do appreciate it.
                    I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them. My
                    Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
                    shipped off somewhere or what.

                    Keri

                    Recent Activity

                    16
                    New Members

                    Visit Your Group

                    General liability
                    American generals
                    Family genealogy
                    Genealogy research
                    Genealogy family tree

                    Y! Toolbar
                    Groups in 1 Click
                    Add Groups to
                    Yahoo! Toolbar.

                    Take a Trip
                    Find Great Deals
                    Yahoo! Travel
                    makes it easy

                    Ads on Yahoo!
                    Learn more now.
                    Reach customers
                    searching for you.

                    .

                  • Keri
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                      I found out from my Father that she was in Firland TB Sanatorium in
                      Seattle.

                      Thanks all.

                      Keri

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kandi G."
                      <hobbs1727@...> wrote:

                      > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@ wrote:
                      > Keri,
                      > Alot of people were sent to the nearest sanitorium...sometimes out
                      > of state. There was one in Kentucky where I live also. It has been
                      > closed down...but I suggest that you look up the names of the TB
                      > sanitoriums and then try and find out patient lists if possible.
                      not
                      > much help I know but it's a place to start.
                      > Kandi
                      > >

                      > Keri:
                      > >
                      > > Don't know if this would be of any help, but my mother-in-law
                      had
                      > TB at age
                      > > 18 and was sent to a sanitorium upstate NY- it was Fallsburg, NY
                      > where she was
                      > > for abut 1 year. Supposedly, the air there was cleaner than in
                      > Brooklyn, NY
                      > > where she lived. If you know where your grandmother lived, that
                      > might be a
                      > > start.
                      > >
                      > > Ina Getzoff
                      > > Metuchen, NJ

                    • Penny
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                        Highline Hospital (south of Seattle) owns the former Riverton Hospital, and is now using it as a Rehab and Recovery Hospital. Riverton started its life as a TB hospital for those from Seattle and surrounding areas. Highline Hospital should have any historical information you might want. I say this because I spent some time there (at Riverton) with my father after his surgeries, and saw many photos there of the original place and people.

                        Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote: Well I would think my grandmother had TB in Washington state since

                        <bigred1442@...> wrote:

                        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello all.
                        > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                        > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                        > that
                        > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
                        know
                        > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                        > pregnant
                        > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
                        she
                        > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                        > >
                        > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
                        away
                        > this
                        > > year.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for any ideas.
                        > >
                        > > Keri
                        > >
                        > Hi Keri!
                        >
                        > Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
                        > I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
                        > patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
                        > sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This
                        was
                        > in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
                        > could ask some relatives if they do.
                        > A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
                        > scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
                        > Good luck,
                        > Diane

                      • Keri
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
                          I am so sorry for your loss.
                          I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
                          people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
                          home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
                          to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
                          said NO.
                          My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
                          hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
                          passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
                          years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
                          and 18. Brave brave parents.

                          Keri

                          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
                          <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

                          > My paternal grandmother, too, was shipped off to Arizona for a
                          time due to T.B. I don't know if she was institutionalize or not.
                          I just know what my late father told me, that a doctor suggested she
                          go there. They lived originally in Kansas, but Grandpa moved her to
                          California and then she went to Arizona. Grandma died of T.B. back
                          in California on Christmas in 1947. She was 37.

                          > April
                          >

                          > Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                          > Thank you. I do appreciate it.
                          > I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them.
                          My
                          > Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
                          > shipped off somewhere or what.
                          >
                          > Keri
                          >

                          > Recent Activity
                          >
                          > 16
                          > New Members
                          >
                          > Visit Your Group
                          >
                          > General liability
                          > American generals
                          > Family genealogy
                          > Genealogy research
                          > Genealogy family tree
                          >
                          > Y! Toolbar
                          > Groups in 1 Click
                          > Add Groups to
                          > Yahoo! Toolbar.
                          >
                          > Take a Trip
                          > Find Great Deals
                          > Yahoo! Travel
                          > makes it easy
                          >
                          > Ads on Yahoo!
                          > Learn more now.
                          > Reach customers
                          > searching for you.
                          >

                          > .

                        • April Payne
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
                            Thank you and I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss.

                            My father was the eldest of nine children. Grandma was a good Catholic, *wink. The youngest two children were taken away by the state being so very young (babies, really), since Grandma's condition wasn't good. The woman who was their foster mother took them illegally out of state and they were "missing" for forty-five years! I have to chalk it up to my Aunt Dolly, the youngest daughter, who never gave up. She hunted down her birth certificate whenever her "mother" was out of the house and in her teens learned what her true surname was.

                            As an adult, she hit the library and systematically went through all the phones books until she found a man that bore her father's name. She wrote to him and it turned out to be my Uncle! He contacted his other sisters and next thing I know I'm getting a phone call to come for a family reunion! Most of the siblings live out here in California (only one of them was deceased at the time, my father's next younger brother who died of a brain tumor when he was ten ) so it wasn't hard for them to gather. What really impressed my Aunt and uncle, (Billy was the youngest in the family and those two were raised together at least) was that the second generation, all of us cousins, knew their names and that they existed!

                            So, seeing as this group has been so fragmented, and their grandmother had cut her own children off from their father's English family, it's no wonder my digging is so hard and that my work has really been cut out for me.

                            april

                            Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                            I am so sorry for your loss.
                            I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
                            people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
                            home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
                            to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
                            said NO.
                            My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
                            hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
                            passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
                            years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
                            and 18. Brave brave parents.

                            Keri

                            Recent Activity

                            15