Re: [Genealogy Research Club] TB sanitoriums

  • Patricia Worster
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      I too am interested in this topic. My great grandfather also had TB in the 1920's-30's and was sent to AZ to an institution, where he met my great grandmother, a nurse there. He died in California in the early 30's after my grandfather was born. I didn't know any of them and no one else asked questions. Any pearls of wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

      Trish

      Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
      Hello all.
      I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
      Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive that
      she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I know
      that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was pregnant
      with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but she
      refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.

      I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed away this
      year.

      Thanks for any ideas.

      Keri

    • fplum
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hi Trish!

        Did he go to the VA Hosp in Arizona? I believe that my grandfather Robert C PLUMSTEAD worked as a male nurse in the TB section of the VA hospital. I can find out more tonight from my uncle.

        Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
        Researching the following Surnames:
        Plumstead and Associated Families: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello all.
          > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
          > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
          that
          > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I know
          > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
          pregnant
          > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but she
          > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
          >
          > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed away
          this
          > year.
          >
          > Thanks for any ideas.
          >
          > Keri

          Hi Keri!

          Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
          I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
          patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
          sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This was
          in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
          could ask some relatives if they do.
          A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
          scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
          Good luck,
          Diane
        • mcdowell_family2003
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2, 2006
            I know that there was one in Prescott, AZ but don't know much else
            about it.

            Chris

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Patricia Worster
            <princesstrish@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > I too am interested in this topic. My great grandfather also had
            TB in the 1920's-30's and was sent to AZ to an institution, where he
            met my great grandmother, a nurse there. He died in California in the
            early 30's after my grandfather was born. I didn't know any of them
            and no one else asked questions. Any pearls of wisdom on this topic
            would be greatly appreciated!

            > Trish
            >
            > Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
            > Hello all.
            > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
            > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive that
            > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I know
            > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was pregnant
            > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but she
            > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
            >
            > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed away this
            > year.
            >
            > Thanks for any ideas.
            >
            > Keri

          • Lady Dineega
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
              My gggrandmother was a nurse at a TB ward in Portland Oregon. She died between 1930-1940. I am still unable to find any records on her death. Including a death record. It's like some of these people just fell off the planet.

              Brandi

              <princesstrish@...> wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > I too am interested in this topic. My great grandfather also had
              TB in the 1920's-30's and was sent to AZ to an institution, where he
              met my great grandmother, a nurse there. He died in California in the
              early 30's after my grandfather was born. I didn't know any of them
              and no one else asked questions. Any pearls of wisdom on this topic
              would be greatly appreciated!

              > Trish
              >
              > Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
              > Hello all.
              > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
              > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive that
              > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I know
              > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was pregnant
              > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but she
              > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
              >
              > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed away this
              > year.
              >
              > Thanks for any ideas.
              >
              > Keri

              "May the circle be open, Yet unbroken May the love of the Goddess be ever in your hearts Merry Meet and Merry Part and Merry Meet again." "The same as in practicing yoga, in living, I keep my attention and practice on my own mat." ~~Unknown~~~

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 3, 2006
                Keri:

                Don't know if this would be of any help, but my mother-in-law had TB at age
                18 and was sent to a sanitorium upstate NY- it was Fallsburg, NY where she was
                for abut 1 year. Supposedly, the air there was cleaner than in Brooklyn, NY
                where she lived. If you know where your grandmother lived, that might be a
                start.

                Ina Getzoff
                Metuchen, NJ

              • Dale Edwards
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                  My grandmother had TB earlier than what you're
                  asking about, but she was in a sanitarium in
                  Green Springs, Ohio. We lived in Green Springs
                  when I was about 4 years old back in 1951, and I
                  believe it was still a sanitorium for TB. It
                  isn't a sanitorium any more, but is a
                  rehabilitation hospital.

                  Green Springs is a small town straddling Sandusky
                  and Seneca counties in Northwest Ohio.

                  I also think there was a sanitorium in Scottsdale
                  or Tempe, Arizona. I seem to remember my mom
                  saying something about it.

                  I hope this helps.

                  Dale

                  Dale L. Edwards
                  Family History Basics -- how to, Family Histories section
                  Dale's Genealogy List -- list of links to Genealogy sites
                  Low Vision Questions and Answers -- I'm researching low vison; questions welcome, will find out answer if I don't know

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Rebecca Betz-Festa
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 4, 2006
                    Hi Keri:

                    My Godmother had TB in the late 1920's/early 1930's. She was in the
                    Pennsylania State Sanatorium for Tuberculosis #1, in Quincy Township,
                    Franklin County, PA, on the 1930 Census. She was 18 years old at the
                    time. Her family lived in Philadelphia, PA, and I am not sure exactly
                    where Franklin County is, but I don't think it was too close. I will
                    ask my Mother if she remembers anything about the TB sanatoriums. Good
                    luck with your search.

                    Rebecca

                    wrote:

                    > Hello all.
                    > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                    > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive that
                    > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I know
                    > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was pregnant
                    > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but she
                    > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                    >
                    > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed away
                    this
                    > year.
                    >
                    > Thanks for any ideas.
                    >
                    > Keri

                  • Kandi G.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@... wrote:
                      Keri,
                      Alot of people were sent to the nearest sanitorium...sometimes out
                      of state. There was one in Kentucky where I live also. It has been
                      closed down...but I suggest that you look up the names of the TB
                      sanitoriums and then try and find out patient lists if possible. not
                      much help I know but it's a place to start.
                      Kandi

                      Keri:

                      > Don't know if this would be of any help, but my mother-in-law had
                      TB at age
                      > 18 and was sent to a sanitorium upstate NY- it was Fallsburg, NY
                      where she was
                      > for abut 1 year. Supposedly, the air there was cleaner than in
                      Brooklyn, NY
                      > where she lived. If you know where your grandmother lived, that
                      might be a
                      > start.
                      >
                      > Ina Getzoff
                      > Metuchen, NJ

                    • Keri
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
                        Thank you. I do appreciate it.
                        I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them. My
                        Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
                        shipped off somewhere or what.

                        Keri

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Betz-Festa"
                        <vct@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Keri:
                        >
                        > My Godmother had TB in the late 1920's/early 1930's. She was in
                        the
                        > Pennsylania State Sanatorium for Tuberculosis #1, in Quincy
                        Township,
                        > Franklin County, PA, on the 1930 Census. She was 18 years old at
                        the
                        > time. Her family lived in Philadelphia, PA, and I am not sure
                        exactly
                        > where Franklin County is, but I don't think it was too close. I
                        will
                        > ask my Mother if she remembers anything about the TB sanatoriums.
                        Good
                        > luck with your search.
                        >
                        > Rebecca
                        >
                        > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Hello all.
                        > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                        > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                        that
                        > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
                        know
                        > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                        pregnant
                        > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
                        she
                        > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                        > >
                        > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
                        away
                        > this
                        > > year.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for any ideas.
                        > >
                        > > Keri

                      • Keri
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
                          I know that in AZ there is a State mental hosptial in Phoenix. I
                          dont know if that was part of the TB sanitoriums or not. Currently
                          it houses the mentally ill.

                          Keri

                          <princesstrish@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Everyone,
                          >
                          > I too am interested in this topic. My great grandfather also
                          had TB in the 1920's-30's and was sent to AZ to an institution,
                          where he met my great grandmother, a nurse there. He died in
                          California in the early 30's after my grandfather was born. I
                          didn't know any of them and no one else asked questions. Any pearls
                          of wisdom on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

                          > Trish
                          >
                          > Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                          > Hello all.
                          > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                          > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                          that
                          > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I know
                          > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                          pregnant
                          > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but she
                          > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                          >
                          > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed away
                          this
                          > year.
                          >
                          > Thanks for any ideas.
                          >
                          > Keri

                        • Keri
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 5, 2006
                            Well I would think my grandmother had TB in Washington state since
                            that is where my Mom was born.

                            Keri

                            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "bigred1442"
                            <bigred1442@...> wrote:

                            > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello all.
                            > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                            > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                            > that
                            > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
                            know
                            > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                            > pregnant
                            > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
                            she
                            > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                            > >
                            > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
                            away
                            > this
                            > > year.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks for any ideas.
                            > >
                            > > Keri
                            > >
                            > Hi Keri!
                            >
                            > Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
                            > I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
                            > patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
                            > sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This
                            was
                            > in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
                            > could ask some relatives if they do.
                            > A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
                            > scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
                            > Good luck,
                            > Diane

                          • Keri
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 6, 2006
                              Found out from my Father that my Grandmother was put in a TB
                              Sanatorium in Seattle back in 1943. She was taken from home by
                              ambulance.
                              Anyone know of this place in Seattle??

                              <vct@...> wrote:

                              > Hi Keri:
                              >
                              > My Godmother had TB in the late 1920's/early 1930's. She was in
                              the
                              > Pennsylania State Sanatorium for Tuberculosis #1, in Quincy
                              Township,
                              > Franklin County, PA, on the 1930 Census. She was 18 years old at
                              the
                              > time. Her family lived in Philadelphia, PA, and I am not sure
                              exactly
                              > where Franklin County is, but I don't think it was too close. I
                              will
                              > ask my Mother if she remembers anything about the TB sanatoriums.
                              Good
                              > luck with your search.
                              >
                              > Rebecca
                              >
                              > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello all.
                              > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                              > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                              that
                              > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
                              know
                              > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                              pregnant
                              > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
                              she
                              > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                              > >
                              > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
                              away
                              > this
                              > > year.
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for any ideas.
                              > >
                              > > Keri

                            • April Payne
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                                My paternal grandmother, too, was shipped off to Arizona for a time due to T.B. I don't know if she was institutionalize or not. I just know what my late father told me, that a doctor suggested she go there. They lived originally in Kansas, but Grandpa moved her to California and then she went to Arizona. Grandma died of T.B. back in California on Christmas in 1947. She was 37.

                                April

                                Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                                Thank you. I do appreciate it.
                                I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them. My
                                Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
                                shipped off somewhere or what.

                                Keri

                                Recent Activity

                                16
                                New Members

                                Visit Your Group

                                General liability
                                American generals
                                Family genealogy
                                Genealogy research
                                Genealogy family tree

                                Y! Toolbar
                                Groups in 1 Click
                                Add Groups to
                                Yahoo! Toolbar.

                                Take a Trip
                                Find Great Deals
                                Yahoo! Travel
                                makes it easy

                                Ads on Yahoo!
                                Learn more now.
                                Reach customers
                                searching for you.

                                .

                              • Keri
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                                  I found out from my Father that she was in Firland TB Sanatorium in
                                  Seattle.

                                  Thanks all.

                                  Keri

                                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kandi G."
                                  <hobbs1727@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@ wrote:
                                  > Keri,
                                  > Alot of people were sent to the nearest sanitorium...sometimes out
                                  > of state. There was one in Kentucky where I live also. It has been
                                  > closed down...but I suggest that you look up the names of the TB
                                  > sanitoriums and then try and find out patient lists if possible.
                                  not
                                  > much help I know but it's a place to start.
                                  > Kandi
                                  > >

                                  > Keri:
                                  > >
                                  > > Don't know if this would be of any help, but my mother-in-law
                                  had
                                  > TB at age
                                  > > 18 and was sent to a sanitorium upstate NY- it was Fallsburg, NY
                                  > where she was
                                  > > for abut 1 year. Supposedly, the air there was cleaner than in
                                  > Brooklyn, NY
                                  > > where she lived. If you know where your grandmother lived, that
                                  > might be a
                                  > > start.
                                  > >
                                  > > Ina Getzoff
                                  > > Metuchen, NJ

                                • Penny
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 8, 2006
                                    Highline Hospital (south of Seattle) owns the former Riverton Hospital, and is now using it as a Rehab and Recovery Hospital. Riverton started its life as a TB hospital for those from Seattle and surrounding areas. Highline Hospital should have any historical information you might want. I say this because I spent some time there (at Riverton) with my father after his surgeries, and saw many photos there of the original place and people.

                                    Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote: Well I would think my grandmother had TB in Washington state since

                                    <bigred1442@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Keri" <Keri_AZ@>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hello all.
                                    > > I have a question relating to TB sanitoriums in the 1940s. My
                                    > > Grandmother had contracted TB and recovered from it. I beleive
                                    > that
                                    > > she was put somewhere because of it. But I dont know where. I
                                    know
                                    > > that soon after she had recovered she found out that she was
                                    > pregnant
                                    > > with my Mother. She was told by her dr to have an abortion but
                                    she
                                    > > refused. My Mother was born in June 1944.
                                    > >
                                    > > I wish that I could have asked my Grandmother but she passed
                                    away
                                    > this
                                    > > year.
                                    > >
                                    > > Thanks for any ideas.
                                    > >
                                    > > Keri
                                    > >
                                    > Hi Keri!
                                    >
                                    > Do you know where she lived when she had T.B.?
                                    > I am two years older than your mom and I remember talk of T.B.
                                    > patients being confined. As a matter of fact, I lived near a T.B.
                                    > sanatorium which was converted to something else later on. This
                                    was
                                    > in North Riverside, Illinois. I don't remember it's name, but I
                                    > could ask some relatives if they do.
                                    > A little side note: when I was a kid they gave us mandatory T.B.
                                    > scratch tests in school. I think it was called a Schick test.
                                    > Good luck,
                                    > Diane

                                  • Keri
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
                                      I am so sorry for your loss.
                                      I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
                                      people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
                                      home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
                                      to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
                                      said NO.
                                      My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
                                      hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
                                      passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
                                      years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
                                      and 18. Brave brave parents.

                                      Keri

                                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, April Payne
                                      <april_anastasia@...> wrote:

                                      > My paternal grandmother, too, was shipped off to Arizona for a
                                      time due to T.B. I don't know if she was institutionalize or not.
                                      I just know what my late father told me, that a doctor suggested she
                                      go there. They lived originally in Kansas, but Grandpa moved her to
                                      California and then she went to Arizona. Grandma died of T.B. back
                                      in California on Christmas in 1947. She was 37.

                                      > April
                                      >

                                      > Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                                      > Thank you. I do appreciate it.
                                      > I wonder if there were only a few or if there were alot of them.
                                      My
                                      > Grandmother lived up in Washington state. Dont know if she was
                                      > shipped off somewhere or what.
                                      >
                                      > Keri
                                      >

                                      > Recent Activity
                                      >
                                      > 16
                                      > New Members
                                      >
                                      > Visit Your Group
                                      >
                                      > General liability
                                      > American generals
                                      > Family genealogy
                                      > Genealogy research
                                      > Genealogy family tree
                                      >
                                      > Y! Toolbar
                                      > Groups in 1 Click
                                      > Add Groups to
                                      > Yahoo! Toolbar.
                                      >
                                      > Take a Trip
                                      > Find Great Deals
                                      > Yahoo! Travel
                                      > makes it easy
                                      >
                                      > Ads on Yahoo!
                                      > Learn more now.
                                      > Reach customers
                                      > searching for you.
                                      >

                                      > .

                                    • April Payne
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006
                                        Thank you and I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss.

                                        My father was the eldest of nine children. Grandma was a good Catholic, *wink. The youngest two children were taken away by the state being so very young (babies, really), since Grandma's condition wasn't good. The woman who was their foster mother took them illegally out of state and they were "missing" for forty-five years! I have to chalk it up to my Aunt Dolly, the youngest daughter, who never gave up. She hunted down her birth certificate whenever her "mother" was out of the house and in her teens learned what her true surname was.

                                        As an adult, she hit the library and systematically went through all the phones books until she found a man that bore her father's name. She wrote to him and it turned out to be my Uncle! He contacted his other sisters and next thing I know I'm getting a phone call to come for a family reunion! Most of the siblings live out here in California (only one of them was deceased at the time, my father's next younger brother who died of a brain tumor when he was ten ) so it wasn't hard for them to gather. What really impressed my Aunt and uncle, (Billy was the youngest in the family and those two were raised together at least) was that the second generation, all of us cousins, knew their names and that they existed!

                                        So, seeing as this group has been so fragmented, and their grandmother had cut her own children off from their father's English family, it's no wonder my digging is so hard and that my work has really been cut out for me.

                                        april

                                        Keri <Keri_AZ@...> wrote:
                                        I am so sorry for your loss.
                                        I dont know much about TB back then and what happened to many of the
                                        people. My Grandmother was one of the survivors. After her coming
                                        home she found out she was pregnant with my mother. The Dr told her
                                        to end the pregnancy cause she was too weak to carry a baby. She
                                        said NO.
                                        My Grandmother ever since has been terrified of being put in the
                                        hospital or a nursing home so my parents cared for her until she
                                        passed away earlier this year. My Mom and Dad spent the past 10
                                        years caring for her AND raising my neice and nephew who are now 17
                                        and 18. Brave brave parents.

                                        Keri

                                        Recent Activity

                                        15