Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: DS Koeln - Ron

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 12:58 AM
      Hello Kathy,

      As a professional historian myself I am very
      appreciative of your uncle's brief summation of German
      history from the late 18th Century to the present. I
      was particularly interested in the info on Regenwalde.
      I was not aware that this village, for village it must
      be, existed. Since the island of Ruegen is much larger
      both in area and in population, I jumped to the
      erroneous conclusion that the reference was to the
      island, which is very well known, rather than to some
      obscure village. Furthermore, the name Regenwalde
      makes complete sense as a descriptive term - boy, does
      it ever rain on the Baltic coast, except for about
      eight weeks in the summer, when it becomes Germany's
      Miami Beach; the Baltic has been a resort area ever
      since the mid-19th Century at least.

      Secondly, Mecklenburg was a separate region within
      Germany and until 1945 had a completely distinct
      existence from Pomerania. Until 1871 it consisted of
      two separate and independent Grand Duchies,
      Mecklenburg-Schwerin and Mecklenburg-Strelitz, both
      named after their respective capital cities. Between
      1871 and 1918 the two duchies became autonomous within
      the German Empire, and after 1919 they were
      consolidated into one Land or state known as
      Mecklenburg; I can't recall whether this was done
      under the Weimar Republic or the Third Reich.

      The point should be made, however, that Pomerania
      (including Ruegen) was part of Prussia from 1815
      onwards, whereas first the two Mecklenburgs and later
      the combined state were never part of Prussia. In
      fact, the ruling families of the two Mecklenburgs, who
      were cousins, having the same common ancestor back in
      the early Middle Ages, cordially disliked the
      Hohenzollerns, the ruling family first of Prussia and
      then the German Empire. The two dynasties, whose name
      escapes me for the moment, were not ethnically German
      but instead were Wends and Sorbs (that's the right
      spelling!). These were the furthest westward of the
      Slavic tribes, who reached the shores of the Baltic
      and the area between the Baltic and the River Spree
      (which flows through Berlin) sometime during the 9th
      and 10th Centuries. They still speak their own Slavic
      dialect, although they have over time become
      completely Germanised in culture and tradition. The
      Wendish and Sorbic languages have been given protected
      status from the mid-19th Century onwards; even Hitler
      never suppressed them.

      The populations of Mecklenburg, parts of Pomerania,
      and the northern part of Brandenburg are today a
      mixture of Germanic and Wendic/Sorbic elements. The
      two Slavic dialects are still widely spoken although
      German has long been the official language. The name
      Carminck is actually a Wendish name; the giveaway is
      the -nck ending; however, many Flemish and Dutch
      surnames have the same ending but there is no Wendish
      connection for them.

      The root of the Carminck surname is the Wendish word
      for rabbit, which has been incorporated into the
      German language so that today the modern German word
      for rabbit. der Kamin. remains the original Wendish
      word, although in common usage Germans will refer to
      the diminutive form, das Kaminchen, whiuch literally
      translates as bunny. The anthropologists tell us that
      the rabbit is often used as a totemic animal in many
      tribal societies, where it exemplifies cleverness,
      slyness, or trickiness. An example of this is the
      Afro-American character Br'er Rabbit, which was
      breought to North America from West Africa with the
      first slaves.

      The name Kaminsky is the Polish version of the name,
      and is a common Polish Jewish surname; I msyelf have
      very distant relatives by marriage with that surname.
      The Jews received this surname during the 17th and
      18th Centuries, when Eastern European Jews acquired
      their surnames from local non-Jewish officials, who
      often chose surnames apparently at random; I have
      touched on this matter some time ago in an earlier
      posting.

      Sorry to be so long-winded about this; one of my old
      professors predicted a brilliant academic career for
      me, claiming that I could say less at greater length
      than any other student he had ever taught.

      Hope this helps.

      Ha-waay (only one more week before the Premiership
      season begins!)

      Ron in Geordieland

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Jenn
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 9:41 PM
        Thanks kathy. This is good information. I am going to pass this
        along tomy grandmother. I do not see a connection to your ancestors
        but she might.

        Jenn

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "pkathy98"