Re: Libby Prison

  • Rebecca Betz-Festa
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2006
      Hi Rich:

      Since Libby Prision, Richmond, VA, was a Confederate Prison, I am
      assuming your prisoner was a Union soldier. I would send for a copy
      of his service/medical/pension files from the National Archives.
      Some of the files are merely muster rolls, some contain more info. My
      GGGGrandfathers medical file told info about the battle he was
      wounded in, his wound, how they took care of the wound, listing the
      changes of dressings, etc., as well as information about his death
      and burial in Washington, D.C. The pension files may contain letters
      verifying the time served in prison, as well as family information.
      The more information you can fill in on the form, and save them from
      searching, the quicker you will get copies of the files. If you are
      close enough you can go to the NARA in Washington, D.C. and see the
      original files and get copies made.

      If you are looking for some general information and contemporary
      (1860's) era photographs of the prison itself, try this website:

      http://www.mdgorman.com/Prisons/Libby/libby_prison.htm

      There are also copies (extracts) from the Richmond Dispatch and the
      Pittsburgh Gazette on the website that list soldiers taken to the
      prison, as well as other interesting information.

      There are also some websites that have extracts from letters and
      diaries of Civil War soldiers. You can search Yahoo or Google for
      Libby Prison.

      Good luck with your search.

      Rebecca

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Jolitz"
      <emicarn@...> wrote:

      > Greetings All....
      >
      > I've been trying to track down a census of prisoners held at Libby
      Prison