Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Sandwich Island

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
      Hello Kathy,

      I think it more likely that your family stopped off in
      Sandwich, Massachusetts, than the Sandwich Islands in
      Hawaii. If the Sandwich Islands in South America were
      off the coast of Brazil then there is a remote chance
      that your ancestors may have used them as an
      intermediate point before settling in the US. Silva is
      undoubtredly an ethnic Portuguese name, and this would
      include people not only from mainland Portugal as well
      as the Azores, Madeira, and even the Cape Verde
      Islands. The centre of Portuguese immigration into the
      US was eastyern and southeastern Massachusetts, where
      many of their descendants still live just look in the
      New Bedford, MA, telephone directory!

      Hope this helps.

      Ron in Geordieland

      http://mail.yahoo.com