Sandwich Island

  • Kathy P
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
      I was trying to find my 2great grandparents in the
      1870 census and found them (with the last name spelled
      differently) in Merritt, Yolo Co., CA. I know where
      they ended up, but not how they got there or where
      they actually came from All the succeeding census
      years list them as from the Azores Islands -
      immigrating in around 1868 - but the 1870 census says
      they are from Sandwich Island. A little googling and
      I found that while there are some Sandwich Islands off
      the coast of South American, this reference was
      probably to the Hawaiian Islands, which were formerly
      called the Sandwich Islands.
      Does anyone know where I might find information on
      immigration, etc., that went through there? I can't
      help but think that they were indeed from the Azores
      and made the Sandwich Islands a stop on the way to
      California. I really don't have much more information
      on them. His name was Antone Dutra (spelled Dutrie in
      the 1870 census) and hers was Katherine Silva -
      sometimes spelled Catherine or called Katy or Katie.
      They ended up living in Washington Twp, Yolo Co, CA.

      Kathy

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2006
        Hello Kathy,

        I think it more likely that your family stopped off in
        Sandwich, Massachusetts, than the Sandwich Islands in
        Hawaii. If the Sandwich Islands in South America were
        off the coast of Brazil then there is a remote chance
        that your ancestors may have used them as an
        intermediate point before settling in the US. Silva is
        undoubtredly an ethnic Portuguese name, and this would
        include people not only from mainland Portugal as well
        as the Azores, Madeira, and even the Cape Verde
        Islands. The centre of Portuguese immigration into the
        US was eastyern and southeastern Massachusetts, where
        many of their descendants still live just look in the
        New Bedford, MA, telephone directory!

        Hope this helps.

        Ron in Geordieland

        http://mail.yahoo.com