Re: [Genealogy Research Club] I need some help

  • Susan Ball
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2006
      Hello Carolyn,

      You may want to start looking at the records for the siblings and parents
      of Iles and his wives. Many times after a spouse died, the children were
      then raised by another family member. Certainly the case many times in my
      family trees, and if Benjamin isn't in a Census record wih Iles then this
      may be what happened to your Benjamin. The other families would most likely
      live nearby.

      I assume you've joined several Cooper surname lists to see if anyone else
      is researching this line? And birth records for that state?

      Also look for wills, deeds, land, obit and newspaper records of Iles and
      Benjamin. Do check extensively at Rootsweb - the archives, the state and
      county & city genwebs.

      It gets hard to prove relationships the further you go back. I have a
      great-great Aunt Pearl Ludwick who was raised from infanthood by her Uncle -
      if it weren't for some obits of her sister's I would have thought she was
      only a cousin. So also look for obits for Benjamin's siblings. This is
      called researching sideways!

      If you would like a search in a specific database plmk - I have many
      subscriptions. And so do others here I'm sure.

      Susan

      On 7/3/06, croberts <croberts18@...> wrote:

      > I've been working on my family tree for about six months now...and there's
      > one thing I'm having a problem with.
      >
      > I have info as follows:
      > Iles Cooper b. abt 1776 was first married to Elizabeth Gearhart (or
      > Elizabeth Wright- she may have been married previously) in 1810.
      > She either died or they divorced in 1812.
      >
      > Then, Iles Cooper married Mary (Polly) Lemons in 1812.
      > These are the children I have listed:
      > Issac Cooper b. 1815
      > Henry Cooper b. 1817
      > Andrew Cooper b. 1818
      > Elizabeth Cooper b. 1820
      > Ambrose Cooper b. 1823
      > Sarah Jane Cooper b. 1825
      >
      > Then Iles Cooper married for the 3rd time - wife named Mary - in 1826
      > These are the children for these two:
      > Sarah Cooper b. abt 1824
      > Fleming Cooper b. Bet 1825-1835
      > Harriett Cooper b. 1927
      > Robert Cooper b. abt 1830
      > Iles Cooper b. abt. 1833
      > Adeline Cooper b. abt 1837
      >
      > Iles Cooper "supposedly" had another child...a son named Benjamin Cooper
      > b. September 3, 1813, but I can not find him listed on any of the census
      > records or in any searches that I've done. I have used Heritage Quest
      > through our local library and Family Search and internet.
      >
      > But Benjamin Cooper is the one my family descended from and I'd like to
      > make sure that he IS the son of Iles Cooper.
      >
      > I can find Benjamin Cooper married to Rebecca Lambert, with a son named
      > James Cooper (c. 1851).
      > James Cooper married Sarah with a son Henry Lee Cooper (1871) (and
      > others).
      > Henry Lee Cooper married Alice Chumley with a son named Oscar Cooper...and
      > this continues on to now.
      >
      > Can anyone help me find Benjamin Cooper listed somewhere, that shows his
      > parents? I can't find the connection between Benjamin Cooper and Iles
      > Cooper. Our family is mainly from Franklin County, Virginia.
      >
      > Carolyn Roberts
      > croberts18@...

    • Rebecca Betz-Festa
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hi Carolyn:

        There are several people on Ancestry.com who are researching this
        family, with family trees posted. You should be able to search
        Ancestry.com at your local library if you don't have a subscription.
        The notes for the most complete tree reference this:

        Title: World Family Tree Vol. 47, Ed. 1
        Author: Genealogy.com
        Publication: Release date: November 1999
        Note: Customer pedigree.
        Repository:
        Call Number:
        Media: Family Archive CD
        Page: Tree #1736

        You should be able to find the footnotes for citations on the file
        with the tree. Hope this helps, and good luck with your search!

        Rebecca

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Ball"
        <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > through our local library and Family Search and internet.
        > >
        > > But Benjamin Cooper is the one my family descended from and I'd
        like to
        > > make sure that he IS the son of Iles Cooper.
        > >
        > > I can find Benjamin Cooper married to Rebecca Lambert, with a son
        named
        > > James Cooper (c. 1851).
        > > James Cooper married Sarah with a son Henry Lee Cooper (1871) (and
        > > others).
        > > Henry Lee Cooper married Alice Chumley with a son named Oscar
        Cooper...and
        > > this continues on to now.
        > >
        > > Can anyone help me find Benjamin Cooper listed somewhere, that
        shows his
        > > parents? I can't find the connection between Benjamin Cooper and
        Iles
        > > Cooper. Our family is mainly from Franklin County, Virginia.

      • croberts
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 4, 2006
          Thanks for the suggestions, Susan...I'll try these.
          Carolyn

        • tfw4321
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 5, 2006
            -Have you checked rootsweb? go to www.rootsweb.com and do a family
            tree search. There you will find quite a bit of info. Isles Cooper
            had 4 wives. but if you check you will find where your family might
            fit in. then contact the person who posted the file. I found 2
            branches of my family tree because my person was the spouse of one
            of theirs. The Kirkseydatabase has what you are looking for. t.
            white-- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "croberts"
            <croberts18@...> wrote:

            > I've been working on my family tree for about six months now...and
            there's one thing I'm having a problem with.

            > I have info as follows:
            > Iles Cooper b. abt 1776 was first married to Elizabeth Gearhart
            (or Elizabeth Wright- she may have been married previously) in 1810.
            > She either died or they divorced in 1812.
            >
            > Then, Iles Cooper married Mary (Polly) Lemons in 1812.
            > These are the children I have listed:
            > Issac Cooper b. 1815
            > Henry Cooper b. 1817
            > Andrew Cooper b. 1818
            > Elizabeth Cooper b. 1820
            > Ambrose Cooper b. 1823
            > Sarah Jane Cooper b. 1825
            >
            > Then Iles Cooper married for the 3rd time - wife named Mary - in
            1826
            > These are the children for these two:
            > Sarah Cooper b. abt 1824
            > Fleming Cooper b. Bet 1825-1835
            > Harriett Cooper b. 1927
            > Robert Cooper b. abt 1830
            > Iles Cooper b. abt. 1833
            > Adeline Cooper b. abt 1837
            >
            > Iles Cooper "supposedly" had another child...a son named Benjamin
            Cooper b. September 3, 1813, but I can not find him listed on any of
            the census records or in any searches that I've done. I have used
            Heritage Quest through our local library and Family Search and
            internet.

            > But Benjamin Cooper is the one my family descended from and I'd
            like to make sure that he IS the son of Iles Cooper.

            > I can find Benjamin Cooper married to Rebecca Lambert, with a son
            named James Cooper (c. 1851).
            > James Cooper married Sarah with a son Henry Lee Cooper (1871) (and
            others).
            > Henry Lee Cooper married Alice Chumley with a son named Oscar
            Cooper...and this continues on to now.

            > Can anyone help me find Benjamin Cooper listed somewhere, that
            shows his parents? I can't find the connection between Benjamin
            Cooper and Iles Cooper. Our family is mainly from Franklin County,
            Virginia.

            > Carolyn Roberts
            > croberts18@...

          • reynolds1680
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 24, 2010
              Hi everyone - I've been research for a number of years, and then stopped for a couple of years. I was using Family Tree Maker software to do my genealogy files. I saved all my files in Family Tree Maker which saves them as FTW files. Well, I have a new computer now running Windows 7, and I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 and it won't install on the new computer and I don't have my old software to load on another computer. So now years of work is in FTW format and I need to get it into a gedcom file without using Family Tree Maker. Does anyone know of a program that would read Family tree maker files, so that I can export them as a gedcom?
            • Mark Rabideau
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 25, 2010
                You can try going to your library and getting an older version of FTM...
                run it on another PC and convert your files.

                Pax Vobiscum,
                ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

                Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
                Snail mail at:
                711 Nob Hill Trail
                Franktown,CO USA 80116-8717

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 25, 2010
                  Run the S/w in windows compatibility mode, right click the .exe file
                  proceed from there. Google will give info if you search for WIN7
                  compatibility Mode or Win 7 help

                  Bob
                  Cdn
                  =====================

                  On 24/04/2010 8:40 PM, reynolds1680 wrote:

                  > Hi everyone - I've been research for a number of years, and then
                  > stopped for a couple of years. I was using Family Tree Maker software
                  > to do my genealogy files. I saved all my files in Family Tree Maker
                  > which saves them as FTW files. Well, I have a new computer now running
                  > Windows 7, and I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 and it won't install
                  > on the new computer and I don't have my old software to load on
                  > another computer. So now years of work is in FTW format and I need to
                  > get it into a gedcom file without using Family Tree Maker. Does anyone
                  > know of a program that would read Family tree maker files, so that I
                  > can export them as a gedcom?

                • Joy Weaver
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                    I am running FTM 2010 on Windows7. I had no problem installing it,
                    though I don't remember now exactly what I had to do.

                    I suggest calling or emailing/ chatting with the FTM tech support unit.
                    I'm sure they can walk you through the process.

                    Joy Weaver

                  • Lisa Hill
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                      I don't know of any free program, but since you purchased FTM, you might try calling their tech support number. Maybe they have some ideas on how to either get the file exporter, or on how to get your software working with Windows 7.

                      Lisa in Richmond, TX

                      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                      From: reynolds1680@...
                      Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 02:40:16 +0000

                      Hi everyone - I've been research for a number of years, and then stopped for a couple of years. I was using Family Tree Maker software to do my genealogy files. I saved all my files in Family Tree Maker which saves them as FTW files. Well, I have a new computer now running Windows 7, and I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 and it won't install on the new computer and I don't have my old software to load on another computer. So now years of work is in FTW format and I need to get it into a gedcom file without using Family Tree Maker. Does anyone know of a program that would read Family tree maker files, so that I can export them as a gedcom?

                    • Pat Reynolds
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                        Joy, my problem resolved itself....  It loaded fine and works fine.
                         Flowersun - Zone 9a
                        Spring Hill, FL
                        Visit my blog for pictures and links http://blogs.delphiforums.com/flowersun

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                          Lisa, thanks but the problem resolved itself.

                          To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
                          From: reynolds1680@ yahoo.com
                          Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 02:40:16 +0000

                          Hi everyone - I've been research for a number of years, and then stopped for a couple of years. I was using Family Tree Maker software to do my genealogy files. I saved all my files in Family Tree Maker which saves them as FTW files. Well, I have a new computer now running Windows 7, and I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 and it won't install on the new computer and I don't have my old software to load on another computer. So now years of work is in FTW format and I need to get it into a gedcom file without using Family Tree Maker. Does anyone know of a program that would read Family tree maker files, so that I can export them as a gedcom?

                        • Flintcrew
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                            Our country library has software in it's system and one of the versions
                            of Family Tree Maker is there that you can borrow. Maybe your library
                            has software too? Or a library system not too far from you?
                            Liz in VA