Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Regarding the 4th(2nd?) of July

  • Dee
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2006
      Ok I have to ask - how did the Queen have 3 birthdays
      this year??

      Thanks,
      dee

      --- Ron Lahav wrote:

      {snippet}

      Some of you Americans may not know this, but there
      is no national independence day in the UK...

      We have no national festival for the Union; the
      Sovereign's Official Birthday (even though this year
      the Queen has had three birthdays!) is not celebrated
      by most people, and even Armistice Day in November is
      more a festival of remembrance than a celebration of
      unity.
    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
        Hello Dee,

        Her real birthday, which falls in April; her official
        birthady, which falls in June and is celebrated by the
        Trooping of the Colour; and her third birthday, which
        is a one-off since she turned 80 this year, which was
        celebrated at Buck House (Buckingham Palace) a
        fortnight ago when 2000 children agedfrom 6 to 14 were
        invited to a huge party in the Palace Gardens, whith a
        Pantomime (something you don';t have in the States)
        featuring characters from British children's
        literature iver the cenbturies, plAyed by popular
        British tv personalities. Next year she will revert to
        only her actual birthday and her official birthday.

        Ron in Geordieland

        --- Dee <donna_lee777@...> wrote:

        > Ok I have to ask - how did the Queen have 3
        > birthdays
        > this year??
        >
        > Thanks,
        > dee
        >

        > --- Ron Lahav wrote:
        >
        > {snippet}
        >
        > Some of you Americans may not know this, but there
        > is no national independence day in the UK...
        >
        > We have no national festival for the Union; the
        > Sovereign's Official Birthday (even though this year
        > the Queen has had three birthdays!) is not
        > celebrated
        > by most people, and even Armistice Day in November
        > is
        > more a festival of remembrance than a celebration of
        > unity.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dee
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
          Thanks for the info, Ron. I couldn't see where there
          could have been THREE, lol.

          dee

          --- Ron wrote:

          Her {Elizabeth II} real birthday, which falls in
          April; her official birthady, which falls in June and
          is celebrated by the Trooping of the Colour; and her
          third birthday, which is a one-off since she turned 80
          this year, which was celebrated at Buck House
          (Buckingham Palace) a fortnight ago when 2000 children
          agedfrom 6 to 14 were invited to a huge party in the
          Palace Gardens, with a Pantomime (something you don';t
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
            Hello Dee,

            Glad to have been of help.

            Ron in Geordieland