Newbie with questions

  • Sandi
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3 12:49 PM
      Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.

      It all started with a search to discover what my Grandfather's
      military medals represent. (I know most of them but one is a unit
      insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had was the medals and
      Grandpa's name.

      Well, that was yesterday.

      Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send to the DOD and
      get his military records but in getting the information I ended up
      with more questions.

      My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around 1890 and
      apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!

      Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members who might have
      mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend away from their
      computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more. I have a feeling
      I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.

      I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to find out more
      about my Belgium heritage!
    • Jon P Czarowitz
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 3 7:54 PM
        Don't give up on the relatives. Sometimes they are slow. See if you can
        find out where he came into this country and where he settled long
        enough to get his citizenship papers. If you find this application, it
        has a lot of needed info. Some older family member may even have the
        original paperwork. These papers will also tell you what country he
        actually came from. He may have just SAILED from a port in Belgium. Many
        countries were in turmoil at that time, both politics and religion were
        among factors for leaving.
        Jon
        ---

        Sandi wrote:

        > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
        >
        > It all started with a search to discover what my Grandfather's
        > military medals represent. (I know most of them but one is a unit
        > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had was the medals and
        > Grandpa's name.
        >
        > Well, that was yesterday.
        >
        > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send to the DOD and
        > get his military records but in getting the information I ended up
        > with more questions.
        >
        > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around 1890 and
        > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
        >
        > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members who might have
        > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend away from their
        > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more. I have a feeling
        > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
        >
        > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to find out more
        > about my Belgium heritage!

      • Ron Lahav
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4 8:01 AM
          Hello Sandi,

          Contrary to popular belief, while there is indeed a
          country called Belgium there are no such people as
          Belgians. The population is about equally divided
          between the Flemish people, who speak a form of Dutch
          (one of my Dutch friedns refers to Flemish as
          Yorkshire Dutch) and the Walloons/Wallons, who speak
          French, but a dialect which differes somewhat from
          that spoken in Metropolitan France. There is a small
          german population, and since 1970 there has been
          increasingly large numbers of Africans from the former
          Belgian colonies and also Muslims who have been
          admitted as asylum-seekers. The thing to remember is
          that for the 176 years that the flemish and Wallons
          have lived within the same national borders they have
          hated one another with a deep and unyielding passion.
          The only thing which holds the country together is the
          Royal Family, and they are ethnic Germans.

          In order to find out more about your ancestor you
          first have to identify his ethnic heritage, You should
          be able to get this from his Certificate of
          Naturalisation. Once you have that then we can proceed
          further.

          Hope this helps.

          Ron in Geordieland
          --- Sandi <lavenderrott@...> wrote:

          > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
          >
          > It all started with a search to discover what my
          > Grandfather's
          > military medals represent. (I know most of them but
          > one is a unit
          > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had
          > was the medals and
          > Grandpa's name.
          >
          > Well, that was yesterday.
          >
          > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send
          > to the DOD and
          > get his military records but in getting the
          > information I ended up
          > with more questions.
          >
          > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around
          > 1890 and
          > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
          >
          > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members
          > who might have
          > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend
          > away from their
          > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more.
          > I have a feeling
          > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
          >
          > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to
          > find out more
          > about my Belgium heritage!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Rebecca Betz-Festa
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 4 9:15 AM
            Hi Sandi:

            What was your Great-Grandfathers name and your Grandfathers name, and
            what state did they live in? I'll see what I can find.

            Rebecca

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sandi"
            <lavenderrott@...> wrote:

            > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
            >
            > It all started with a search to discover what my Grandfather's
            > military medals represent. (I know most of them but one is a unit
            > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had was the medals
            and
            > Grandpa's name.
            >
            > Well, that was yesterday.
            >
            > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send to the DOD and
            > get his military records but in getting the information I ended up
            > with more questions.
            >
            > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around 1890 and
            > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
            >
            > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members who might have
            > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend away from
            their
            > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more. I have a
            feeling
            > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
            >
            > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to find out more
            > about my Belgium heritage!

          • Heidi Graf
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 4 10:49 AM
              Hi Sandi,

              You can try www.ellisisland.org to see if you can find him on a ship manifest.

              Heidi

              <lavenderrott@...> wrote:

              > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
              >
              > It all started with a search to discover what my Grandfather's
              > military medals represent. (I know most of them but one is a unit
              > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had was the medals
              and
              > Grandpa's name.
              >
              > Well, that was yesterday.
              >
              > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send to the DOD and
              > get his military records but in getting the information I ended up
              > with more questions.
              >
              > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around 1890 and
              > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
              >
              > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members who might have
              > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend away from
              their
              > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more. I have a
              feeling
              > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
              >
              > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to find out more
              > about my Belgium heritage!

            • Ron Lahav
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 4 1:21 PM
                Hello Jon,

                You are quite correct in stating that Sandi's ancestor
                may not have been Belgian but merely sailed from the
                port of Antwerp. A lot of the smaller companies
                engaged in the immigrant trade, not only to the US and
                Canada but to Australia/New zealand, South Africa,
                etc, operated from Antwerp as the costs and overheads
                (e g Harbour dues, etc) were lower there than in many
                other ports. Also mitigating against the fact that
                your ancestor was Belgian is that both numerically and
                proportionately speaking both communities of Belgians
                made up the smallest European immigrant groups to the
                US, although some Walloons emigrated to Michigan in a
                group sometime during the 1840s. I would take issue
                with you on claiming that the 1890s were turbulent
                times in Europe. Times were indeed hard in Eastern
                Europe, and also in Spain and southern Italy, but
                Germany was undergoing an economic boom which led to a
                significant decline in German emigration overall after
                1890.

                Ron in Geordieland

                > Don't give up on the relatives. Sometimes they are
                > slow. See if you can
                > find out where he came into this country and where
                > he settled long
                > enough to get his citizenship papers. If you find
                > this application, it
                > has a lot of needed info. Some older family member
                > may even have the
                > original paperwork. These papers will also tell you
                > what country he
                > actually came from. He may have just SAILED from a
                > port in Belgium. Many
                > countries were in turmoil at that time, both
                > politics and religion were
                > among factors for leaving.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Sandi
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 4 5:07 PM
                  Grandpa's last name is Wackus and I can track him through Census
                  records in 1920 and 1930. Great Grandpa's last name is listed as
                  Wackus also, but in talking to my Aunt - I know that Wackus was not
                  his name in Belgium, it was quite a bit longer and harder to spell.
                  LOL! There is a possibilty that my Father (whom I will not speak to
                  if the world was coming to an end) has the spelling of G. Grandpa's
                  name and my Aunt is trying to find out and get that from him.

                  I found out today that G.Grandpa did not come to the States as a
                  passenger on a ship, he had to work stoking the ships furnace to pay
                  his passage. I don't know if this will have any affect on where I
                  would look for information once I get the proper spelling of his
                  name.

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rebecca Betz-Festa"
                  <vct@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Sandi:
                  >
                  > What was your Great-Grandfathers name and your Grandfathers name,
                  and
                  > what state did they live in? I'll see what I can find.
                  >
                  > Rebecca
                  >

                  > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sandi"
                  > <lavenderrott@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
                  > >
                  > > It all started with a search to discover what my Grandfather's
                  > > military medals represent. (I know most of them but one is a
                  unit
                  > > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had was the medals
                  > and
                  > > Grandpa's name.
                  > >
                  > > Well, that was yesterday.
                  > >
                  > > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send to the DOD
                  and
                  > > get his military records but in getting the information I ended
                  up
                  > > with more questions.
                  > >
                  > > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around 1890 and
                  > > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
                  > >
                  > > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members who might
                  have
                  > > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend away from
                  > their
                  > > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more. I have a
                  > feeling
                  > > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
                  > >
                  > > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to find out more
                  > > about my Belgium heritage!

                • Sandi
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 4 5:09 PM
                    Thank you, Heidi. I hadn't found that website yet!

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Heidi Graf

                    wrote: Hi Sandi:

                    > What was your Great-Grandfathers name and your Grandfathers name,
                    and
                    > what state did they live in? I'll see what I can find.
                    >
                    > Rebecca
                    >
                    > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Sandi"
                    > <lavenderrott@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
                    > >
                    > > It all started with a search to discover what my Grandfather's
                    > > military medals represent. (I know most of them but one is a
                    unit
                    > > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had was the
                    medals
                    > and
                    > > Grandpa's name.
                    > >
                    > > Well, that was yesterday.
                    > >
                    > > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send to the DOD
                    and
                    > > get his military records but in getting the information I ended
                    up
                    > > with more questions.
                    > >
                    > > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around 1890 and
                    > > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
                    > >
                    > > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members who might
                    have
                    > > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend away from
                    > their
                    > > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more. I have a
                    > feeling
                    > > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
                    > >
                    > > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to find out
                    more
                    > > about my Belgium heritage!

                  • Sandi
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 4 5:11 PM
                      Great Grandpa was Flemish. According to the 1930 Census, he spoke
                      Dutch - so that was what I had to go by.

                      I find I am learning somethng new all the time!

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lahav
                      <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

                      > Hello Sandi,
                      >
                      > Contrary to popular belief, while there is indeed a
                      > country called Belgium there are no such people as
                      > Belgians. The population is about equally divided
                      > between the Flemish people, who speak a form of Dutch
                      > (one of my Dutch friedns refers to Flemish as
                      > Yorkshire Dutch) and the Walloons/Wallons, who speak
                      > French, but a dialect which differes somewhat from
                      > that spoken in Metropolitan France. There is a small
                      > german population, and since 1970 there has been
                      > increasingly large numbers of Africans from the former
                      > Belgian colonies and also Muslims who have been
                      > admitted as asylum-seekers. The thing to remember is
                      > that for the 176 years that the flemish and Wallons
                      > have lived within the same national borders they have
                      > hated one another with a deep and unyielding passion.
                      > The only thing which holds the country together is the
                      > Royal Family, and they are ethnic Germans.
                      >
                      > In order to find out more about your ancestor you
                      > first have to identify his ethnic heritage, You should
                      > be able to get this from his Certificate of
                      > Naturalisation. Once you have that then we can proceed
                      > further.
                      >
                      > Hope this helps.
                      >
                      > Ron in Geordieland
                      > --- Sandi <lavenderrott@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hi! I am new to the group and new to Geneology.
                      > >
                      > > It all started with a search to discover what my
                      > > Grandfather's
                      > > military medals represent. (I know most of them but
                      > > one is a unit
                      > > insignia and I don't know which unit.) All I had
                      > > was the medals and
                      > > Grandpa's name.
                      > >
                      > > Well, that was yesterday.
                      > >
                      > > Today I have enough information on Grandpa to send
                      > > to the DOD and
                      > > get his military records but in getting the
                      > > information I ended up
                      > > with more questions.
                      > >
                      > > My Great Grandfather immigrated from Belgium around
                      > > 1890 and
                      > > apparently changed his last name. So I am stuck!
                      > >
                      > > Of course, I e-mailed the appropriate family members
                      > > who might have
                      > > mre information (who are enjoyng the holiday weekend
                      > > away from their
                      > > computers apparently)in hopes of finding out more.
                      > > I have a feeling
                      > > I am still going to be stuck as I don't speak Dutch.
                      > >
                      > > I am open for any and all suggestions as to how to
                      > > find out more
                      > > about my Belgium heritage!

                      > http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Sandi
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 4 5:15 PM
                        We are assuming that G. Grandpa sailed out of Antwerp - the family
                        used their entire savings getting him to the port. My G.Grandfather
                        literally came to America with the clothes on his back.

                        <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

                        > Hello Jon,
                        >
                        > You are quite correct in stating that Sandi's ancestor
                        > may not have been Belgian but merely sailed from the
                        > port of Antwerp. A lot of the smaller companies
                        > engaged in the immigrant trade, not only to the US and
                        > Canada but to Australia/New zealand, South Africa,
                        > etc, operated from Antwerp as the costs and overheads
                        > (e g Harbour dues, etc) were lower there than in many
                        > other ports. Also mitigating against the fact that
                        > your ancestor was Belgian is that both numerically and
                        > proportionately speaking both communities of Belgians
                        > made up the smallest European immigrant groups to the
                        > US, although some Walloons emigrated to Michigan in a
                        > group sometime during the 1840s. I would take issue
                        > with you on claiming that the 1890s were turbulent
                        > times in Europe. Times were indeed hard in Eastern
                        > Europe, and also in Spain and southern Italy, but
                        > Germany was undergoing an economic boom which led to a
                        > significant decline in German emigration overall after
                        > 1890.
                        >
                        > Ron in Geordieland
                        >
                        > > Don't give up on the relatives. Sometimes they are
                        > > slow. See if you can
                        > > find out where he came into this country and where
                        > > he settled long
                        > > enough to get his citizenship papers. If you find
                        > > this application, it
                        > > has a lot of needed info. Some older family member
                        > > may even have the
                        > > original paperwork. These papers will also tell you
                        > > what country he
                        > > actually came from. He may have just SAILED from a
                        > > port in Belgium. Many
                        > > countries were in turmoil at that time, both
                        > > politics and religion were
                        > > among factors for leaving.

                        > http://mail.yahoo.com

                      • Ron Lahav
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 5 8:50 AM
                          Hello Sandi,

                          What you have written about your GGF tends to confirm
                          my earlier posting and also Jon's that he was not
                          Belgian by birth. If he had been Belgian it would have
                          cost him virtually nothing to get to Antwerp from
                          anywhere in Belgium, and even in the 1890s the train
                          trip would have taken less than ha;f a day. The fact
                          that he changed his name also leads me to believe that
                          he was of Eastern European origin, and in fact he may
                          well have been Jewish; many Jews when they arrived in
                          the New World changed their names to more American
                          sounding or at least less Jewish sounding ones. Some
                          Jews wished to bury their past in the New World and
                          chose completely non-Jewish names as well.

                          Hope this helps.

                          Ron in Geordieland

                          > We are assuming that G. Grandpa sailed out of
                          > Antwerp - the family
                          > used their entire savings getting him to the port.
                          > My G.Grandfather
                          > literally came to America with the clothes on his
                          > back.

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Ron Lahav
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 5 8:58 AM
                            Hello Sandi,

                            What you have written about your GGF really surprises
                            me! As a Flemish speaker he would have lived not
                            further than 36 miles from Antwerp, and by the late
                            19th Century there would have been fast and frequent
                            train service to Antwerp from all parts of Belgium.
                            Also, byt that time he would have had a bicycle like
                            most Belgians and Dutch. Finally, I think that your
                            GGF was laying it on with a trowel a bit; Flanders has
                            always been the wealthiest part of Belgium, although
                            by the 1890s Wallonia had caught up because of its
                            heavy industry. Still, there would probably have been
                            less pocerty in Flanders or Holland, for example. than
                            even in other parts of Western Europe. If your
                            ancestor left in such haste and with so little money
                            then I think there was another reason for this and not
                            family poverty.

                            Hope this helps.

                            Ronin Belgium

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 5 4:41 PM
                              G. Grandpa was VERY Catholic, my Aunt tells me. He married a
                              Protestant woman (my G. Grandma) but wouldn't associate with her
                              family and while he agreed to let her raise the children Protestant -
                              he had her baptised as a Catholic when she was in a diabetic coma
                              and as soon as she died, he pulled the kids out of public school and
                              enrolled them into Catholic school. Needless to say - his inlaws
                              were furious.

                              <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

                              > Hello Sandi,
                              >
                              > What you have written about your GGF tends to confirm
                              > my earlier posting and also Jon's that he was not
                              > Belgian by birth. If he had been Belgian it would have
                              > cost him virtually nothing to get to Antwerp from
                              > anywhere in Belgium, and even in the 1890s the train
                              > trip would have taken less than ha;f a day. The fact
                              > that he changed his name also leads me to believe that
                              > he was of Eastern European origin, and in fact he may
                              > well have been Jewish; many Jews when they arrived in
                              > the New World changed their names to more American
                              > sounding or at least less Jewish sounding ones. Some
                              > Jews wished to bury their past in the New World and
                              > chose completely non-Jewish names as well.
                              >
                              > Hope this helps.
                              >
                              > Ron in Geordieland
                              >
                              > > We are assuming that G. Grandpa sailed out of
                              > > Antwerp - the family
                              > > used their entire savings getting him to the port.
                              > > My G.Grandfather
                              > > literally came to America with the clothes on his
                              > > back.

                              > http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • Ron Lahav
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 6 10:10 AM
                                Hello Sandi,

                                It sounds as if he had been a true Fleming. The
                                Flemish people were essentially Dutch Roman Catholics,
                                and since the population of The Netherlands in 1830
                                (as today) was finely balanced between Portestants and
                                Catholics, the Dutch did not want to tip the
                                demographic balance in favor of the Catholics, who at
                                least until after WWI were second class citizens
                                there. The establishment of a state which would be
                                overwhelmingly Catholic in population, even if the two
                                main ethnic groups loathed each other, seemed to be a
                                way to solve the problem of the Dutch-speaking
                                Catholics, at least insofar as the Dutch Royal Family
                                was concerned.

                                Ron in Geordieland

                                --- Sandi <lavenderrott@...> wrote:

                                > G. Grandpa was VERY Catholic, my Aunt tells me. He
                                > married a
                                > Protestant woman (my G. Grandma) but wouldn't
                                > associate with her
                                > family and while he agreed to let her raise the
                                > children Protestant -
                                > he had her baptised as a Catholic when she was in a
                                > diabetic coma
                                > and as soon as she died, he pulled the kids out of
                                > public school and
                                > enrolled them into Catholic school. Needless to say
                                > - his inlaws
                                > were furious.

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Jon P Czarowitz
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 10 1:58 PM
                                  Sandi
                                  I write this not as an expert, but just to add to the possible
                                  confusion. Some aras at that time were changing their politicians and
                                  political outlook. If your family held a office and was booted out,
                                  they may have been fleeing for their lives and therefore wanted the
                                  younger members to survive sending them to the coast while they went
                                  elsewhere. Their income was no longer that of one in office and the
                                  story may well have been true.
                                  I have a family line that scattered across Europe and beyond because
                                  of this change of office. They and all relatives not agreeing with
                                  the "office holders" were run out of town or killed, Jewish or not.
                                  These lines show up regularly in the area around Poland and her
                                  borders, but it was true all over in those days as Germany and
                                  supporters expanded. The line I speak of fled both east and west.