I need some help

  • croberts
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3 12:49 PM
      I've been working on my family tree for about six months now...and there's one thing I'm having a problem with.

      I have info as follows:
      Iles Cooper b. abt 1776 was first married to Elizabeth Gearhart (or Elizabeth Wright- she may have been married previously) in 1810.
      She either died or they divorced in 1812.

      Then, Iles Cooper married Mary (Polly) Lemons in 1812.
      These are the children I have listed:
      Issac Cooper b. 1815
      Henry Cooper b. 1817
      Andrew Cooper b. 1818
      Elizabeth Cooper b. 1820
      Ambrose Cooper b. 1823
      Sarah Jane Cooper b. 1825

      Then Iles Cooper married for the 3rd time - wife named Mary - in 1826
      These are the children for these two:
      Sarah Cooper b. abt 1824
      Fleming Cooper b. Bet 1825-1835
      Harriett Cooper b. 1927
      Robert Cooper b. abt 1830
      Iles Cooper b. abt. 1833
      Adeline Cooper b. abt 1837

      Iles Cooper "supposedly" had another child...a son named Benjamin Cooper b. September 3, 1813, but I can not find him listed on any of the census records or in any searches that I've done. I have used Heritage Quest through our local library and Family Search and internet.

      But Benjamin Cooper is the one my family descended from and I'd like to make sure that he IS the son of Iles Cooper.

      I can find Benjamin Cooper married to Rebecca Lambert, with a son named James Cooper (c. 1851).
      James Cooper married Sarah with a son Henry Lee Cooper (1871) (and others).
      Henry Lee Cooper married Alice Chumley with a son named Oscar Cooper...and this continues on to now.

      Can anyone help me find Benjamin Cooper listed somewhere, that shows his parents? I can't find the connection between Benjamin Cooper and Iles Cooper. Our family is mainly from Franklin County, Virginia.

      Carolyn Roberts
      croberts18@...

    • Susan Ball
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3 4:53 PM
        Hello Carolyn,

        You may want to start looking at the records for the siblings and parents
        of Iles and his wives. Many times after a spouse died, the children were
        then raised by another family member. Certainly the case many times in my
        family trees, and if Benjamin isn't in a Census record wih Iles then this
        may be what happened to your Benjamin. The other families would most likely
        live nearby.

        I assume you've joined several Cooper surname lists to see if anyone else
        is researching this line? And birth records for that state?

        Also look for wills, deeds, land, obit and newspaper records of Iles and
        Benjamin. Do check extensively at Rootsweb - the archives, the state and
        county & city genwebs.

        It gets hard to prove relationships the further you go back. I have a
        great-great Aunt Pearl Ludwick who was raised from infanthood by her Uncle -
        if it weren't for some obits of her sister's I would have thought she was
        only a cousin. So also look for obits for Benjamin's siblings. This is
        called researching sideways!

        If you would like a search in a specific database plmk - I have many
        subscriptions. And so do others here I'm sure.

        Susan

        On 7/3/06, croberts <croberts18@...> wrote:

        > I've been working on my family tree for about six months now...and there's
        > one thing I'm having a problem with.
        >
        > I have info as follows:
        > Iles Cooper b. abt 1776 was first married to Elizabeth Gearhart (or
        > Elizabeth Wright- she may have been married previously) in 1810.
        > She either died or they divorced in 1812.
        >
        > Then, Iles Cooper married Mary (Polly) Lemons in 1812.
        > These are the children I have listed:
        > Issac Cooper b. 1815
        > Henry Cooper b. 1817
        > Andrew Cooper b. 1818
        > Elizabeth Cooper b. 1820
        > Ambrose Cooper b. 1823
        > Sarah Jane Cooper b. 1825
        >
        > Then Iles Cooper married for the 3rd time - wife named Mary - in 1826
        > These are the children for these two:
        > Sarah Cooper b. abt 1824
        > Fleming Cooper b. Bet 1825-1835
        > Harriett Cooper b. 1927
        > Robert Cooper b. abt 1830
        > Iles Cooper b. abt. 1833
        > Adeline Cooper b. abt 1837
        >
        > Iles Cooper "supposedly" had another child...a son named Benjamin Cooper
        > b. September 3, 1813, but I can not find him listed on any of the census
        > records or in any searches that I've done. I have used Heritage Quest
        > through our local library and Family Search and internet.
        >
        > But Benjamin Cooper is the one my family descended from and I'd like to
        > make sure that he IS the son of Iles Cooper.
        >
        > I can find Benjamin Cooper married to Rebecca Lambert, with a son named
        > James Cooper (c. 1851).
        > James Cooper married Sarah with a son Henry Lee Cooper (1871) (and
        > others).
        > Henry Lee Cooper married Alice Chumley with a son named Oscar Cooper...and
        > this continues on to now.
        >
        > Can anyone help me find Benjamin Cooper listed somewhere, that shows his
        > parents? I can't find the connection between Benjamin Cooper and Iles
        > Cooper. Our family is mainly from Franklin County, Virginia.
        >
        > Carolyn Roberts
        > croberts18@...

      • Rebecca Betz-Festa
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 4 6:04 AM
          Hi Carolyn:

          There are several people on Ancestry.com who are researching this
          family, with family trees posted. You should be able to search
          Ancestry.com at your local library if you don't have a subscription.
          The notes for the most complete tree reference this:

          Title: World Family Tree Vol. 47, Ed. 1
          Author: Genealogy.com
          Publication: Release date: November 1999
          Note: Customer pedigree.
          Repository:
          Call Number:
          Media: Family Archive CD
          Page: Tree #1736

          You should be able to find the footnotes for citations on the file
          with the tree. Hope this helps, and good luck with your search!

          Rebecca

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Ball"
          <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > through our local library and Family Search and internet.
          > >
          > > But Benjamin Cooper is the one my family descended from and I'd
          like to
          > > make sure that he IS the son of Iles Cooper.
          > >
          > > I can find Benjamin Cooper married to Rebecca Lambert, with a son
          named
          > > James Cooper (c. 1851).
          > > James Cooper married Sarah with a son Henry Lee Cooper (1871) (and
          > > others).
          > > Henry Lee Cooper married Alice Chumley with a son named Oscar
          Cooper...and
          > > this continues on to now.
          > >
          > > Can anyone help me find Benjamin Cooper listed somewhere, that
          shows his
          > > parents? I can't find the connection between Benjamin Cooper and
          Iles
          > > Cooper. Our family is mainly from Franklin County, Virginia.

        • croberts
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 4 10:32 AM
            Thanks for the suggestions, Susan...I'll try these.
            Carolyn

          • tfw4321
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 5 7:13 PM
              -Have you checked rootsweb? go to www.rootsweb.com and do a family
              tree search. There you will find quite a bit of info. Isles Cooper
              had 4 wives. but if you check you will find where your family might
              fit in. then contact the person who posted the file. I found 2
              branches of my family tree because my person was the spouse of one
              of theirs. The Kirkseydatabase has what you are looking for. t.
              white-- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "croberts"
              <croberts18@...> wrote:

              > I've been working on my family tree for about six months now...and
              there's one thing I'm having a problem with.

              > I have info as follows:
              > Iles Cooper b. abt 1776 was first married to Elizabeth Gearhart
              (or Elizabeth Wright- she may have been married previously) in 1810.
              > She either died or they divorced in 1812.
              >
              > Then, Iles Cooper married Mary (Polly) Lemons in 1812.
              > These are the children I have listed:
              > Issac Cooper b. 1815
              > Henry Cooper b. 1817
              > Andrew Cooper b. 1818
              > Elizabeth Cooper b. 1820
              > Ambrose Cooper b. 1823
              > Sarah Jane Cooper b. 1825
              >
              > Then Iles Cooper married for the 3rd time - wife named Mary - in
              1826
              > These are the children for these two:
              > Sarah Cooper b. abt 1824
              > Fleming Cooper b. Bet 1825-1835
              > Harriett Cooper b. 1927
              > Robert Cooper b. abt 1830
              > Iles Cooper b. abt. 1833
              > Adeline Cooper b. abt 1837
              >
              > Iles Cooper "supposedly" had another child...a son named Benjamin
              Cooper b. September 3, 1813, but I can not find him listed on any of
              the census records or in any searches that I've done. I have used
              Heritage Quest through our local library and Family Search and
              internet.

              > But Benjamin Cooper is the one my family descended from and I'd
              like to make sure that he IS the son of Iles Cooper.

              > I can find Benjamin Cooper married to Rebecca Lambert, with a son
              named James Cooper (c. 1851).
              > James Cooper married Sarah with a son Henry Lee Cooper (1871) (and
              others).
              > Henry Lee Cooper married Alice Chumley with a son named Oscar
              Cooper...and this continues on to now.

              > Can anyone help me find Benjamin Cooper listed somewhere, that
              shows his parents? I can't find the connection between Benjamin
              Cooper and Iles Cooper. Our family is mainly from Franklin County,
              Virginia.

              > Carolyn Roberts
              > croberts18@...

            • reynolds1680
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 24, 2010
                Hi everyone - I've been research for a number of years, and then stopped for a couple of years. I was using Family Tree Maker software to do my genealogy files. I saved all my files in Family Tree Maker which saves them as FTW files. Well, I have a new computer now running Windows 7, and I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 and it won't install on the new computer and I don't have my old software to load on another computer. So now years of work is in FTW format and I need to get it into a gedcom file without using Family Tree Maker. Does anyone know of a program that would read Family tree maker files, so that I can export them as a gedcom?
              • Mark Rabideau
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 25, 2010
                  You can try going to your library and getting an older version of FTM...
                  run it on another PC and convert your files.

                  Pax Vobiscum,
                  ...mark (Mark Rabideau)

                  Visit us at: http://many-roads.com
                  Snail mail at:
                  711 Nob Hill Trail
                  Franktown,CO USA 80116-8717

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 25, 2010
                    Run the S/w in windows compatibility mode, right click the .exe file
                    proceed from there. Google will give info if you search for WIN7
                    compatibility Mode or Win 7 help

                    Bob
                    Cdn
                    =====================

                    On 24/04/2010 8:40 PM, reynolds1680 wrote:

                    > Hi everyone - I've been research for a number of years, and then
                    > stopped for a couple of years. I was using Family Tree Maker software
                    > to do my genealogy files. I saved all my files in Family Tree Maker
                    > which saves them as FTW files. Well, I have a new computer now running
                    > Windows 7, and I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 and it won't install
                    > on the new computer and I don't have my old software to load on
                    > another computer. So now years of work is in FTW format and I need to
                    > get it into a gedcom file without using Family Tree Maker. Does anyone
                    > know of a program that would read Family tree maker files, so that I
                    > can export them as a gedcom?

                  • Joy Weaver
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                      I am running FTM 2010 on Windows7. I had no problem installing it,
                      though I don't remember now exactly what I had to do.

                      I suggest calling or emailing/ chatting with the FTM tech support unit.
                      I'm sure they can walk you through the process.

                      Joy Weaver

                    • Lisa Hill
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                        I don't know of any free program, but since you purchased FTM, you might try calling their tech support number. Maybe they have some ideas on how to either get the file exporter, or on how to get your software working with Windows 7.

                        Lisa in Richmond, TX

                        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                        From: reynolds1680@...
                        Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 02:40:16 +0000

                        Hi everyone - I've been research for a number of years, and then stopped for a couple of years. I was using Family Tree Maker software to do my genealogy files. I saved all my files in Family Tree Maker which saves them as FTW files. Well, I have a new computer now running Windows 7, and I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 and it won't install on the new computer and I don't have my old software to load on another computer. So now years of work is in FTW format and I need to get it into a gedcom file without using Family Tree Maker. Does anyone know of a program that would read Family tree maker files, so that I can export them as a gedcom?

                      • Pat Reynolds
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                          Joy, my problem resolved itself....  It loaded fine and works fine.
                           Flowersun - Zone 9a
                          Spring Hill, FL
                          Visit my blog for pictures and links http://blogs.delphiforums.com/flowersun

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                            Lisa, thanks but the problem resolved itself.

                            To: genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com
                            From: reynolds1680@ yahoo.com
                            Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 02:40:16 +0000

                            Hi everyone - I've been research for a number of years, and then stopped for a couple of years. I was using Family Tree Maker software to do my genealogy files. I saved all my files in Family Tree Maker which saves them as FTW files. Well, I have a new computer now running Windows 7, and I purchased Family Tree Maker 2010 and it won't install on the new computer and I don't have my old software to load on another computer. So now years of work is in FTW format and I need to get it into a gedcom file without using Family Tree Maker. Does anyone know of a program that would read Family tree maker files, so that I can export them as a gedcom?

                          • Flintcrew
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
                              Our country library has software in it's system and one of the versions
                              of Family Tree Maker is there that you can borrow. Maybe your library
                              has software too? Or a library system not too far from you?
                              Liz in VA