Re: [Genealogy Research Club] odd last name

  • Theresa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 10:50 AM
      If they had children it might be clearer to read their death certificates as they usually ask for the parents names. That should then have the mother's maiden name as well under the parents and maybe much clearer handwriting.
      That is how I have ended up being more successful..through the children's records. Just a tip...

      Back2rRoots@... wrote:

      Hello Fellow researchers,

      I need your help again. I am looking at a death certificate I just received
      and I am not able to make out the last name. So I am hoping that someone is
      familiar with this name or some thing close. It looks like Iain or Iaiu. If
      anyone is familiar with this name please let me know ASAP it looks like it is
      my ggg grandmothers maiden name. She died in Florence in April 1919 and her
      full name was Charlotte James wife of Henry James.

      Thank you

      Tara

    • Jon P Czarowitz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 6:23 AM
        Don't depend too heavily on death certificates. It depends on the
        provider. My great grandfather's mother was listed, but the name
        provided was that of his deceased wife. Some people just know the info
        needed for the certificate and 2nd guess.
        This is a good reason to get your children and grandchildren educated on
        the family genealogy. At least when we die then the correct info will be
        on our death certificates and in our obits.
        Jon Czarowitz