[Genealogy Research Club]Seattle, WA Seaport...was... Re: My next brickwall

  • Jenn
    Message 1 of 73 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hi Kellie,

      I do live on the other side of the state! I live near the WA/OR
      border near the Columbia River in a very small town called
      Alderdale. I had no idea that Seattle was a large port! I also have
      not lived in WA all my life so I don't know much about the state at
      all! Thanks for your input though. That does help to know that.

      Jenn

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kellie
      <horsepoweredcrab@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jenn,
      >
      > You must live on the east side of the state...Seattle
      > is a hugh seaport supporting massive cargo and
      > passenger services. I boarded the Alaskan Ferry System
      > in the 1980's when my family moved from Portland to
      > Fairbanks. Also many trips there as I have had various
      > family members live there.
      >
      > I haven't found too many references to it being used
      > too far back in hisotry...but that is on line...not in
      > the business and archives offices of Seatlle and
      > Olympia. Remember...stuff found on line is only stuff
      > that people have nicely put there for everyone to
      > see...there is still mass amounts of stuff that still
      > is waiting for someone to make electronically
      > available.
      >
      > Kellie (who lives near Longview, Washington)
      >
      > --- Jenn <JHills23@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Ron,
      > >
      > > I am not sure about hoe large a seaport Seattle is,
      > > but I will get
      > > in touch with them. I mean, it never hurts to try
      > > right!
      > >
      > > Jennifer
      > >
      > > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ron
      > > Lahav
      > > <shmendrik1812@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello Jenn,
      > > >
      > > > What do you call Seattle - isn't that a large
      > > enough
      > > > seaport for you? Try the Seattle Public Library;
      > > it
      > > > will pay you to ring the Reference Department and
      > > ask
      > > > them just how far back their holdings of Lloyd;s
      > > > Register of Shipping go. They should certainly
      > > have
      > > > the more recent ones, proibably since WWII, but
      > > > hopefully they will also have pre-WWI ones as
      > > well. As
      > > > Seattle was already a major seaport when the Koeln
      > > > docked in Galveston, they should have stocked the
      > > > Register at that time. The question is whether
      > > they
      > > > have kept them. If they do have them, but in the
      > > > stacks or in a warehouse, it might pay foir you to
      > > go
      > > > up for a day, especially if they can confirm that
      > > > their
      > > > holdings include rthe 1911 or even the 1910 or
> [...]
    • Ron Lahav
      Message 73 of 73 , Aug 3, 2006
        Hello Jenn,

        Keep an open mind and continue buying those lottery
        tickets!

        Ha-waay,
        Ron in Geordieland

        http://mail.yahoo.com