Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Regarding the 4th(2nd?) of July

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
      Hello Joe,

      Some of you Americans may not know this, but there is
      no national independence day in the UK. St George's
      Day (England), St Andrew's Day (Scotland), St David's
      Day (Wales), and St Patrick's Day (Ireland) all used
      to be religious festivals celebrated in the different
      parts of the UK, but today they have lost all
      religious and most political aignificance. Some
      English peop;le will wear roses on St George's Day,
      the Welsh will wear daffodils, the Scots heather, and
      the Irish shamrocks, but that's it. We have no
      national festival for the Union; the Sovereign's
      Official Birthday (even though this year the Queen has
      had three birthdays!) is not celebrated by most
      people, and even Armistice Day in November is more a
      festival of remembrance than a celebration of unity.
      And of course we have no Thanksgiving Day here in
      Britain; we don't need one - after all, God is an
      Englishman! And the Devil, of course, is a Balliol Man
      (which means he attended Balliol College, one of the
      colleges which compose the University of Ocford); this
      means that despite everything else he is
      alwayselegantly dressed. has exquisite manners, and is
      always a perfect gentleman.

      Ron in Geordieland

      --- histroy101 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > John Adams writing to his wife Abigial July 3rd 1776
      >
      > " The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most
      > memorable Epocha, in
      > the History of America. I am apt to believe that it
      > will be
      > celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great
      > anniversary
      > Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of
      > Deliverance by
      > solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to
      > be solemnized
      > with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports,
      > Guns, Bells,
      > Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this
      > Continent to the
      > other from this Time forward forever more. You will
      > think me
      > transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well
      > aware of the Toil
      > and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to
      > maintain this
      > Declaration, and support and defend these States.
      > Yet through all the
      > Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and
      > Glory. I can see that
      > the End is more than worth all the Means. And that
      > Posterity will
      > tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We
      > should rue it, which
      > I trust in God We shall not." (The Book of Abigail
      > and John: Selected
      > Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard
      > University Press,
      > 1975, 142).
      >
      > An interesting Fact - John Adams & Thomas Jefferson
      > died on the same
      > date , July 4th, 1826
      >
      > Wishing you all a Safe & Great Celebration !
      >
      > Joe

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dee

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hello Dee,

          Her real birthday, which falls in April; her official
          birthady, which falls in June and is celebrated by the
          Trooping of the Colour; and her third birthday, which
          is a one-off since she turned 80 this year, which was
          celebrated at Buck House (Buckingham Palace) a
          fortnight ago when 2000 children agedfrom 6 to 14 were
          invited to a huge party in the Palace Gardens, whith a
          Pantomime (something you don';t have in the States)
          featuring characters from British children's
          literature iver the cenbturies, plAyed by popular
          British tv personalities. Next year she will revert to
          only her actual birthday and her official birthday.

          Ron in Geordieland

          --- Dee <donna_lee777@...> wrote:

          > Ok I have to ask - how did the Queen have 3
          > birthdays
          > this year??
          >
          > Thanks,
          > dee
          >

          > --- Ron Lahav wrote:
          >
          > {snippet}
          >
          > Some of you Americans may not know this, but there
          > is no national independence day in the UK...
          >
          > We have no national festival for the Union; the
          > Sovereign's Official Birthday (even though this year
          > the Queen has had three birthdays!) is not
          > celebrated
          > by most people, and even Armistice Day in November
          > is
          > more a festival of remembrance than a celebration of
          > unity.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Dee
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
            Thanks for the info, Ron. I couldn't see where there
            could have been THREE, lol.

            dee

            --- Ron wrote:

            Her {Elizabeth II} real birthday, which falls in
            April; her official birthady, which falls in June and
            is celebrated by the Trooping of the Colour; and her
            third birthday, which is a one-off since she turned 80
            this year, which was celebrated at Buck House
            (Buckingham Palace) a fortnight ago when 2000 children
            agedfrom 6 to 14 were invited to a huge party in the
            Palace Gardens, with a Pantomime (something you don';t
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
              Hello Dee,

              Glad to have been of help.

              Ron in Geordieland