Regarding the 4th(2nd?) of July

  • histroy101
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2006
      John Adams writing to his wife Abigial July 3rd 1776

      " The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in
      the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be
      celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary
      Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by
      solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized
      with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells,
      Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the
      other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me
      transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil
      and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this
      Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the
      Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that
      the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will
      tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which
      I trust in God We shall not." (The Book of Abigail and John: Selected
      Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard University Press,
      1975, 142).

      An interesting Fact - John Adams & Thomas Jefferson died on the same
      date , July 4th, 1826

      Wishing you all a Safe & Great Celebration !

      Joe
    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2006
        Hello Joe,

        Some of you Americans may not know this, but there is
        no national independence day in the UK. St George's
        Day (England), St Andrew's Day (Scotland), St David's
        Day (Wales), and St Patrick's Day (Ireland) all used
        to be religious festivals celebrated in the different
        parts of the UK, but today they have lost all
        religious and most political aignificance. Some
        English peop;le will wear roses on St George's Day,
        the Welsh will wear daffodils, the Scots heather, and
        the Irish shamrocks, but that's it. We have no
        national festival for the Union; the Sovereign's
        Official Birthday (even though this year the Queen has
        had three birthdays!) is not celebrated by most
        people, and even Armistice Day in November is more a
        festival of remembrance than a celebration of unity.
        And of course we have no Thanksgiving Day here in
        Britain; we don't need one - after all, God is an
        Englishman! And the Devil, of course, is a Balliol Man
        (which means he attended Balliol College, one of the
        colleges which compose the University of Ocford); this
        means that despite everything else he is
        alwayselegantly dressed. has exquisite manners, and is
        always a perfect gentleman.

        Ron in Geordieland

        --- histroy101 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        > John Adams writing to his wife Abigial July 3rd 1776
        >
        > " The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most
        > memorable Epocha, in
        > the History of America. I am apt to believe that it
        > will be
        > celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great
        > anniversary
        > Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of
        > Deliverance by
        > solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to
        > be solemnized
        > with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports,
        > Guns, Bells,
        > Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this
        > Continent to the
        > other from this Time forward forever more. You will
        > think me
        > transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well
        > aware of the Toil
        > and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to
        > maintain this
        > Declaration, and support and defend these States.
        > Yet through all the
        > Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and
        > Glory. I can see that
        > the End is more than worth all the Means. And that
        > Posterity will
        > tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We
        > should rue it, which
        > I trust in God We shall not." (The Book of Abigail
        > and John: Selected
        > Letters of the Adams Family, 1762-1784, Harvard
        > University Press,
        > 1975, 142).
        >
        > An interesting Fact - John Adams & Thomas Jefferson
        > died on the same
        > date , July 4th, 1826
        >
        > Wishing you all a Safe & Great Celebration !
        >
        > Joe

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dee

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2006
            Hello Dee,

            Her real birthday, which falls in April; her official
            birthady, which falls in June and is celebrated by the
            Trooping of the Colour; and her third birthday, which
            is a one-off since she turned 80 this year, which was
            celebrated at Buck House (Buckingham Palace) a
            fortnight ago when 2000 children agedfrom 6 to 14 were
            invited to a huge party in the Palace Gardens, whith a
            Pantomime (something you don';t have in the States)
            featuring characters from British children's
            literature iver the cenbturies, plAyed by popular
            British tv personalities. Next year she will revert to
            only her actual birthday and her official birthday.

            Ron in Geordieland

            --- Dee <donna_lee777@...> wrote:

            > Ok I have to ask - how did the Queen have 3
            > birthdays
            > this year??
            >
            > Thanks,
            > dee
            >

            > --- Ron Lahav wrote:
            >
            > {snippet}
            >
            > Some of you Americans may not know this, but there
            > is no national independence day in the UK...
            >
            > We have no national festival for the Union; the
            > Sovereign's Official Birthday (even though this year
            > the Queen has had three birthdays!) is not
            > celebrated
            > by most people, and even Armistice Day in November
            > is
            > more a festival of remembrance than a celebration of
            > unity.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Dee
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
              Thanks for the info, Ron. I couldn't see where there
              could have been THREE, lol.

              dee

              --- Ron wrote:

              Her {Elizabeth II} real birthday, which falls in
              April; her official birthady, which falls in June and
              is celebrated by the Trooping of the Colour; and her
              third birthday, which is a one-off since she turned 80
              this year, which was celebrated at Buck House
              (Buckingham Palace) a fortnight ago when 2000 children
              agedfrom 6 to 14 were invited to a huge party in the
              Palace Gardens, with a Pantomime (something you don';t
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2006
                Hello Dee,

                Glad to have been of help.

                Ron in Geordieland