[Genealogy Research Club] Re: My next brickwall

  • Jenn
    Message 1 of 73 , Jun 27, 2006
      Hello Ron;

      I have received all your emails! I have printed them out for
      records. I really do appreciate all that you have done in my last
      couple of requests! You are a great genealogy help!

      I live in Washington State on the West Coast. I do not believe that
      there are any large seaports near. But I will check for the
      Mariniers' Museum and see what I can find.

      Thanks again
      Jennifer

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Ron Lahav
      <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > either
      > > > all killed or else fled as refugees to other parts
      > > of
      > > > Germany. All towns with German names have had
      > > their
      > > > names changed forcibly into Russian or Polish, and
      > > all
      > > > traces of German settlement would have been
      > > forcibly
      > > > erased since 1945.
      > > >
      > > > You will probably have bettet luck in tracing
      > > Franz's
      > > > military records. For one thing, while every
      > > healthy
      > > > male was subject to compulsory military service in
      > > the
      > > > German Empire, including Prussia, until 1918, the
      > > > highest rank that a draftee (as you would call it
      > > in
      > > > the US) could attain would have been Corporal (or
      > > > Gefreiter, to use the German name). To reach the
      > > rank
      > > > of Sergeant (Feldwebel), he would have to have
      > > served
      > > > at least seven years. Furthermore, if he had
      > > served in
      > > > the Cavalry he would have been in an elite
      > > regiment
      > > > such as the Uhlans (Lancers) or Husaren (Hussars).
      > > > Only the very best soldiers would have served in a
      > > > cavalry regiment, and only the best of the best
      > > would
      > > > have risen to the rank of Sergeant.
      > > >
      > > > I think that it is now absolutely necessary for
      > > you,
      > > > Jenn, to contact the German Embassy in Washington,
      > > as
      > > > I suggested earlier, to try to find out if German
      > > or
      > > > Prussian military records from the late 19th
      > > Century
      > > > are still available. The Imnperial records would
      > > have
      > > > been somewhere in the Bendlerstrasse, the
      > > headquarters
      > > > of the Imperial Greater General Staff, while the
      > > > Prussian records would have been kept somewhere in
      > > > Potsdam, the old Prussian royal regiment. There
      > > would
      > > > probably have been duplicate records held in both
      > > > places.
      > > >
      > > > I will try to find out the names of former
      > > communities
      > > > in East Prussia and see if I can come up with
      > > > something which approaches Gemmerbude.
      > > >
      > > > I hope you received this e-mail, Jenn, and also
      > > the
      > > > first one which I sent in reply to your original
      > > > request. I did a good deal of research and went
      > > into
      > > > considerable detail on it, and I do hope that I
      > > shan't
      > > > have to do it again.
      > > >
      > > > Also, do you know the date of his arrival in
      > > Galveston
      > > > and the name of the ship on which he sailed? Basic
      > > > details such as where he was born should be on the
      > > > passenger lists of the time, which are now

    • Ron Lahav
      Message 73 of 73 , Aug 3, 2006
        Hello Jenn,

        Keep an open mind and continue buying those lottery
        tickets!

        Ha-waay,
        Ron in Geordieland

        http://mail.yahoo.com