Re: How Far Back ... ???

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6 2:44 PM
      I've been able to trace my tail male line back to Robert EYRE who arrived
      in Bethel twp, Chester (now Delaware) cnty, PA c1682. Where he came from
      prior to that and who his parents were none of us have been able to
      determine. Supposedly he was born the same day that King Charles I of
      England was executed.

      I've been able to trace my paternal grandmother's tail male line back to
      1665 Chester (now Delaware) cnty, PA. Supposedly he was born in Brandenburg
      when it was still part of the Swedish empire.

      I've been able to trace my mother's tail male line back to Daniel CARR who
      was captured by the Indians in a prelude to the July 1778 Wyoming (PA)
      massacre. Where he came from and who his parents were, when he was born,
      none of us have been able to discover. He is pretty much a mystery prior to
      his capture.

      I've only been able to trace my maternal grandmother's line back to Melchi
      S ITTER b: 24 Mar 1841 in Notafasoga, Ontario, Canada.

      I have information on other lines but the above are the only ones I have
      documented myself, one generation at a time.

      Judy in MI
    • Susan Ball
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6 9:04 PM
        Hi Judy -
        I have Eyre's in my family, from NE. But I haven't researched that line
        yet beyond 1900 (my grandmother's first husband so not a direct relation to
        myself), hopefully will begin this year or next. I think I'm much like you
        - documenting everything myself, one generation at a time - an d ususally
        one line at a time.

        Susan

        On 6/6/06, Judy Ardine <downeast@...> wrote:

        > I've been able to trace my tail male line back to Robert EYRE who arrived
        > in Bethel twp, Chester (now Delaware) cnty, PA c1682. Where he came from
        > prior to that and who his parents were none of us have been able to
        > determine. Supposedly he was born the same day that King Charles I of
        > England was executed.
        >
        > I've been able to trace my paternal grandmother's tail male line back to
        > 1665 Chester (now Delaware) cnty, PA. Supposedly he was born in
        > Brandenburg
        > when it was still part of the Swedish empire.
        >
        > I've been able to trace my mother's tail male line back to Daniel CARR who
        > was captured by the Indians in a prelude to the July 1778 Wyoming (PA)
        > massacre. Where he came from and who his parents were, when he was born,
        > none of us have been able to discover. He is pretty much a mystery prior
        > his capture.
        >
        > I've only been able to trace my maternal grandmother's line back to Melchi
        > S ITTER b: 24 Mar 1841 in Notafasoga, Ontario, Canada.
        >
        > I have information on other lines but the above are the only ones I have
        > documented myself, one generation at a time.
        >
        > Judy in MI

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ron Lahav
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7 1:25 AM
          Hello Judy,

          Just a quick historical note here: The Electorate of
          Brandenburg, as it then was, was never a part of the
          Swedish 'empire', as you put it. TThe height of
          Swedish military power was during the Thirty Years'
          War (1618-48), when King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden,
          a Protestant but in the pay of the Catholic French
          monarchy, fought the Catholic forces under the
          Habsburgs for control of what is now modern Germany.
          The Elector of Brandenburg at the time, Frederick
          William I, known as the Great Elector, was for a time
          allied with Sweden (although the alliances during this
          war were very tenuous and people kept switching
          sides). Brandenburg itself was never under Swedish
          control, although from time to time Swedish forces
          marched through it. The only part of Germany (or
          rather the Holy Roman Empire, as it then was), was
          part of Pomerania, on the Baltic coast of northeastern
          Germany. Swedish Pomerania, as the region was called,
          comprised the area around the city of Stralsund and
          the island of Ruegen (sorry, I don't have an umlaut
          key, i e, the two dots over a vowel, on this
          keyboard). You should be able to find this area on any
          good map of Germany. The territory remained in Swedish
          hands until the Napoleonic Wars 170 years later, and
          between 1945 it was first part of the Soviet Zone of
          Occupation and then the German Democratic Rpeublic; it
          has been part of reunified Germany since 1989.

          Hope this helps.

          Ron in Geordieland

          --- Judy Ardine <downeast@...> wrote:

          > I've been able to trace my tail male line back to
          > Robert EYRE who arrived
          > in Bethel twp, Chester (now Delaware) cnty, PA
          > c1682. Where he came from
          > prior to that and who his parents were none of us
          > have been able to
          > determine. Supposedly he was born the same day that
          > King Charles I of
          > England was executed.
          >
          > I've been able to trace my paternal grandmother's
          > tail male line back to
          > 1665 Chester (now Delaware) cnty, PA. Supposedly he
          > was born in Brandenburg
          > when it was still part of the Swedish empire.
          >
          > I've been able to trace my mother's tail male line
          > back to Daniel CARR who
          > was captured by the Indians in a prelude to the July
          > 1778 Wyoming (PA)
          > massacre. Where he came from and who his parents
          > were, when he was born,
          > none of us have been able to discover. He is pretty
          > much a mystery prior to
          > his capture.
          >
          > I've only been able to trace my maternal
          > grandmother's line back to Melchi
          > S ITTER b: 24 Mar 1841 in Notafasoga, Ontario,
          > Canada.
          >
          > I have information on other lines but the above are
          > the only ones I have
          > documented myself, one generation at a time.
          >
          > Judy in MI

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ron Lahav
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8 1:40 PM
            Hello Susan,

            Eyre is a very famous aristoicratic family in the UK.
            Not only did they found a very large publishing house
            which existed until the 1960s. Also, Sir Eyre Coote
            was an extremely brutal governor of Jamaica during the
            19th Century; Tony Figueroa can probably tell you more
            about him. Then of course there is Jane Eyre, but she
            was a fictional character.

            Hope this helps.

            Ron in Geordieland

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Susan Ball
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9 1:32 AM
              Thank you Ron, that's all very interesting. Jane Eyre was a favorite of my
              grandmother's, since her nickname was Jane. The rest I had no clue about!

              Susan

              On 6/8/06, Ron Lahav <shmendrik1812@...> wrote:

              > Hello Susan,
              >
              > Eyre is a very famous aristoicratic family in the UK.
              > Not only did they found a very large publishing house
              > which existed until the 1960s. Also, Sir Eyre Coote
              > was an extremely brutal governor of Jamaica during the
              > 19th Century; Tony Figueroa can probably tell you more
              > about him. Then of course there is Jane Eyre, but she
              > was a fictional character.
              >
              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > Ron in Geordieland
              >
              > --- Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi Judy -
              > > I have Eyre's in my family, from NE. But I
              > > haven't researched that line
              > > yet beyond 1900 (my grandmother's first husband so
              > > not a direct relation to
              > > myself), hopefully will begin this year or next. I
              > > think I'm much like you
              > > - documenting everything myself, one generation at a
              > > time - an d ususally
              > > one line at a time.
              > >
              > > Susan
              > >

              > > On 6/6/06, Judy Ardine <downeast@...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I've been able to trace my tail male line back to
              > > Robert EYRE who arrived
              > > > in Bethel twp, Chester (now Delaware) cnty, PA
              > > c1682. Where he came from
              > > > prior to that and who his parents were none of us
              > > have been able to
              > > > determine. Supposedly he was born the same day
              > > that King Charles I of
              > > > England was executed.
              > > >
              > > > I've been able to trace my paternal grandmother's
              > > tail male line back to
              > > > 1665 Chester (now Delaware) cnty, PA. Supposedly
              > > he was born in
              > > > Brandenburg
              > > > when it was still part of the Swedish empire.
              > > >
              > > > I've been able to trace my mother's tail male line
              > > back to Daniel CARR who
              > > > was captured by the Indians in a prelude to the
              > > July 1778 Wyoming (PA)
              > > > massacre. Where he came from and who his parents
              > > were, when he was born,
              > > > none of us have been able to discover. He is
              > > pretty much a mystery prior
              > > > his capture.
              > > >
              > > > I've only been able to trace my maternal
              > > grandmother's line back to Melchi
              > > > S ITTER b: 24 Mar 1841 in Notafasoga, Ontario,
              > > Canada.
              > > >
              > > > I have information on other lines but the above
              > > are the only ones I have
              > > > documented myself, one generation at a time.
              > > >
              > > > Judy in MI
              > > >

              > > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great
              > > help at Ancestry.Com

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > removed]

              > http://mail.yahoo.com