Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: The first name 'Teter'

  • Susan Ball
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
      The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
      surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
      maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
      find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
      first name.

      Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

      Susan

      On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

      > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
      > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
      > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
      > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
      > in the general vicinity at that time.
      >
      > Judy

    • JOHN SEYMOUR
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
        Hiy all

        Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.

        Regards

        John Seymour
        The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
        surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
        maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
        find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
        first name.

        Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

        Susan

        On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

        > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
        > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
        > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
        > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
        > in the general vicinity at that time.
        >
        > Judy

      • Susan Ball
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
          Thanks John, Dieter is just the sort of name I was looking for as I'm not
          familiar with German names. I'll check records for Dieter or something
          similar to it.

          Susan

          On 6/6/06, JOHN SEYMOUR <pjb.seymour@...> wrote:

          > Hiy all
          >
          > Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that
          > "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.
          >

          > Regards
          >
          > John Seymour

        • Patricia Collins

            The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
            surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
            maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
            find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
            first name.

            Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

            Susan

            On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

            > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
            > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
            > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
            > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
            > in the general vicinity at that time.
            >
            > Judy

          • JOHN SEYMOUR
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
              Hi Again Susan

              Just for interest sake I did a Google Search with "teter" and came up with 1,270,000 hits so the mystery does deepen does it not. I realise that this may not be of any interest to you but it does open up the field for speculation and as a 74 year researching my own family history I have found that a little speculation from time to time can lead to interesting things.

              Regards

              BCNU

              John
              Thanks John, Dieter is just the sort of name I was looking for as I'm not
              familiar with German names. I'll check records for Dieter or something
              similar to it.

              Susan

              On 6/6/06, JOHN SEYMOUR <pjb.seymour@...> wrote:

              > Hiy all
              >
              > Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that
              > "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.
              >

              > Regards
              >
              > John Seymour

            • Susan Ball
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                Pat that's too funny. Poor little niece 'Teter Rat'! ROF