Re: The first name 'Teter'

  • Judy Ditmore
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
      Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
      were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
      Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
      friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
      in the general vicinity at that time.

      Judy
    • Susan Ball
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
        surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
        maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
        find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
        first name.

        Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

        Susan

        On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

        > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
        > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
        > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
        > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
        > in the general vicinity at that time.
        >
        > Judy

      • JOHN SEYMOUR
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
          Hiy all

          Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.

          Regards

          John Seymour
          The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
          surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
          maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
          find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
          first name.

          Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

          Susan

          On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

          > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
          > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
          > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
          > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
          > in the general vicinity at that time.
          >
          > Judy

        • Susan Ball
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
            Thanks John, Dieter is just the sort of name I was looking for as I'm not
            familiar with German names. I'll check records for Dieter or something
            similar to it.

            Susan

            On 6/6/06, JOHN SEYMOUR <pjb.seymour@...> wrote:

            > Hiy all
            >
            > Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that
            > "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.
            >

            > Regards
            >
            > John Seymour

          • Patricia Collins

              The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
              surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
              maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
              find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
              first name.

              Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

              Susan

              On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

              > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
              > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
              > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
              > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
              > in the general vicinity at that time.
              >
              > Judy

            • JOHN SEYMOUR
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                Hi Again Susan

                Just for interest sake I did a Google Search with "teter" and came up with 1,270,000 hits so the mystery does deepen does it not. I realise that this may not be of any interest to you but it does open up the field for speculation and as a 74 year researching my own family history I have found that a little speculation from time to time can lead to interesting things.

                Regards

                BCNU

                John
                Thanks John, Dieter is just the sort of name I was looking for as I'm not
                familiar with German names. I'll check records for Dieter or something
                similar to it.

                Susan

                On 6/6/06, JOHN SEYMOUR <pjb.seymour@...> wrote:

                > Hiy all
                >
                > Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that
                > "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.
                >

                > Regards
                >
                > John Seymour

              • Susan Ball
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                  Pat that's too funny. Poor little niece 'Teter Rat'! ROF