ideas/suggestions needed

  • adoptingaroundtheglobe
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2006
      Hope someone here has ideas or suggestions. My sister and I are
      still working on our family tree, a very slow process. She has free
      access to Ancestry.com thru her local LDS Family History Center.
      It's easier for her to go than me

      Our main line is just hard to trace. Although we came up with a
      couple of ideas. I'm ordering two death certificates from North
      Dakota to hopefully find out the parents names and birth places of
      my great grandfather and great grandmother (maternal side) both of
      whom were born in Russia. Thats the only thing I could think of to
      start with at least. Unless of course someone in the family has the
      info and we just dont realize it

      Our paternal side should be easy. Livingstone is Scottish but we
      cant find any information online where we've looked for our great
      grand father or great-great grandfather. We can find what looks
      like maybe siblings or cousins, but we dont know for sure. I even
      had someone in Canada check the birth records on Ancestry CA but
      what we were looking for wasn't listed, which seems odd. The only
      thing we could still think of was to obtain a copy of our great
      grandfathers death certificate, here in WA state thru an LDS micro
      film (which isn't on file at the local Family History Center)

      I've actually had better luck with two other branches of the
      family. One bring my maternal great aunts husbands family and
      another maternal great uncles wifes family. Both were found thru
      either Genealogy.com or their World Tree files and will add on
      almost 1000 entries (currently at 460, see under links)

      But I'm also interested in adding the rest of the branches, but am
      not sure how to go about doing that. I was thinking of sending some
      type of I guess almost like a form letter to our known relatives
      (the ones where I dont have the info) and see if they know their
      grandparents and extended family info or if they have websites or
      other info I can use.

      any ideas on any of this is greatly appreciated. I currently use
      www.onefamilytree.com for my online family tree website. Its not
      quite as nice as some sites but is inexpensive and easy to use but
      am interested in possibly switching

      Thanks, Suzanne
    • Jon P Czarowitz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2006
        If you know the cemetery where your ancestor is buried, you might be
        interested in viewing the site http://www.findagrave.com This site is
        growing daily with names,cemeteries, graves and locations searchable
        and best of all, it is FREE. Not all are listed, but it is worth a look.
        I found a number of my line in places where I could
        not visit.
        Jon
        ------------------------

      • adoptingaroundtheglobe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2006
          thanks for the suggestion Jon. Another site I like for cemeteries
          is www.interment.net. I've actually submitted half a dozen cemetery
          transcriptions to them to have posted. I was hoping to do more
          cemetery transcriptions, but now that my son is 3 and moving around
          more (and not listening) its harder to do

          Suzanne
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Jon P Czarowitz
          <jonczar@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > almost 1000 entries (currently at 460, see under links)
          > >
          > > But I'm also interested in adding the rest of the branches, but
          am
          > > not sure how to go about doing that. I was thinking of sending
          some
          > > type of I guess almost like a form letter to our known relatives
          > > (the ones where I dont have the info) and see if they know their
          > > grandparents and extended family info or if they have websites or
          > > other info I can use.
          > >
          > > any ideas on any of this is greatly appreciated. I currently use
          > > www.onefamilytree.com for my online family tree website. Its not
          > > quite as nice as some sites but is inexpensive and easy to use
          but
          > > am interested in possibly switching
          > >
          > > Thanks, Suzanne
          > >

          > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help at
          Ancestry.Com

          > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
          bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718
          > > <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
          bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>

          > > General liability
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=General+liability&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3
          =Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=G
          enealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=Wey-f6DcO0EYUcNtMwqZQg>
          > > American generals
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=American+generals&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3
          =Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=G
          enealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=u72bh5z7q9dpynt1dI-6Tw>
          > > Family genealogy
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Family+genealogy&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w3=
          Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=Ge
          nealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=NdRgnUuIo-MpPtmipBOb5g>

          > > Genealogy research
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=General+liability&w2=American+generals&w
          3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&w6=
          Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=ToNqrgMYVs_8Tg-53APPhw>
          > > Genealogy family tree
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Genealogy+family+tree&w1=General+liability&w2=American+general
          s&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&
          w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=uMNt5wzesT-FdfwAE6xpFA>
          > > Genealogy information
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Genealogy+information&w1=General+liability&w2=American+general
          s&w3=Family+genealogy&w4=Genealogy+research&w5=Genealogy+family+tree&
          w6=Genealogy+information&c=6&s=146&.sig=K55Fw8UCv7oXpcfx3Pnsig>

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          of

          6/7/2006

        • Pam Taylor
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15, 2006
            May I assume that you are looking for the surname LIVINGSTON? Or am I wrong?
            Pam Taylor

[...]

            Genealogy research Genealogy family tree Genealogy information

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS