The first name 'Teter'

  • i0remember0you
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2006
      I have a Teter in my ancestry and I wondering if this is a knickname
      for something? They also had a son Peter and I just can't imagine
      calling out for both Teter & Peter! LOL

      I think it's a German name if that's any help.

      Many thanks!

      Susan
    • Judy Ditmore
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
        were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
        Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
        friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
        in the general vicinity at that time.

        Judy
      • Susan Ball
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
          The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
          surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
          maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
          find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
          first name.

          Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

          Susan

          On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

          > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
          > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
          > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
          > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
          > in the general vicinity at that time.
          >
          > Judy

        • JOHN SEYMOUR
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
            Hiy all

            Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.

            Regards

            John Seymour
            The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
            surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
            maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
            find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
            first name.

            Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

            Susan

            On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

            > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
            > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
            > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
            > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
            > in the general vicinity at that time.
            >
            > Judy

          • Susan Ball
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2006
              Thanks John, Dieter is just the sort of name I was looking for as I'm not
              familiar with German names. I'll check records for Dieter or something
              similar to it.

              Susan

              On 6/6/06, JOHN SEYMOUR <pjb.seymour@...> wrote:

              > Hiy all
              >
              > Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that
              > "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.
              >

              > Regards
              >
              > John Seymour

            • Patricia Collins

                The parents were born KY & VA and moved to OH at a young age. I've seen the
                surname Teter too, and I'm thinking maybe this boy was given his mother's
                maiden name. But also wanted to check if it was a German nickname. Can't
                find Teter when he's an adult so he either died or was using a different
                first name.

                Thanks for the idea - I'll check Census neighbors for any Teter's.

                Susan

                On 6/5/06, Judy Ditmore <dblditmore@...> wrote:

                > Very interesting...are they from Missouri per chance? I know there
                > were lots of Teter's (surname) in Randolph/Chariton/Macon Co.,
                > Missouri. It was not unusual to name your child the surname of a good
                > friend/neighbor, etc. You might look to see if there were such people
                > in the general vicinity at that time.
                >
                > Judy

              • JOHN SEYMOUR
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                  Hi Again Susan

                  Just for interest sake I did a Google Search with "teter" and came up with 1,270,000 hits so the mystery does deepen does it not. I realise that this may not be of any interest to you but it does open up the field for speculation and as a 74 year researching my own family history I have found that a little speculation from time to time can lead to interesting things.

                  Regards

                  BCNU

                  John
                  Thanks John, Dieter is just the sort of name I was looking for as I'm not
                  familiar with German names. I'll check records for Dieter or something
                  similar to it.

                  Susan

                  On 6/6/06, JOHN SEYMOUR <pjb.seymour@...> wrote:

                  > Hiy all
                  >
                  > Just a couple of pennies worth from a Brit, have you ever thought that
                  > "Teter" could possibly be a misheard "Dieter" which is a German 1st name.
                  >

                  > Regards
                  >
                  > John Seymour

                • Susan Ball
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2006
                    Pat that's too funny. Poor little niece 'Teter Rat'! ROF