New Member

  • vfooshbhah!
    Message 1 of 93 , May 30, 2006
      Hello Everyone,
      I just joined the group. I'm an old-timer to Yahoo groups but a new-
      comer to this one. I hae been working on geneology on and off for
      the past few four or five years. I'm not as diligent as I should be
      because I'm also not as patient as I should be. Anyway, I thought
      this group could help because I'm always looking for people that I
      can share information with. Here is some information on the lines I
      am working on.

      My grandmother is Agnes Anna Wood, grand-daughter of Joseph Franklin
      Wood and Helen Rachel Lee. My family has worked for years to get
      accurate information on the Wood line but have found little more
      than what was contained in the personal journal of George L. Wood
      (13 Nov 1822 - 26 Apr 1908). I know as far back as George's great-
      grandfather, Nicholas Wood born in 1719 Nottingham, Nottinghamshire,
      England. If anyone would like to discuss this line with me then
      maybe we could start a new threat called WOOD or something like that.

      Last year I received this email from my uncle:
      "Now on if you feel up to the challenge you can see if you can find
      out some thing else. Auntie Frances Grandpa's sister that passed
      away had a letter which stated the following (taken from letter):
      Elijah Combs BAKER was named for his maternal grandfather Elijah
      COMBS, who was a general in the War of 1812. He also served as a
      general in the Civil War from 1861-1865. The U.S. Government and
      Grandchildren erected a monument in his honor at Fort Thomas Near
      Cincinati, Ohio. Now I have found a Elijah Combs but he wasn't a
      General, and I have written to several places in Fort Thamas KY and
      they all have said the same thing, that I can hire some one to do
      the research for me. I wasn't going to pay some one to tell me if
      there is a statue of some one or not. But if you wanted to look and
      see if you could find out anything on that, Elijah Combs Baker is
      the father of Elijah Sheraden Baker."

      He has not been able to verify this information and neither have I.
      I have found more evidence to suggest that the Elijah Combs referred
      to in the letter is not related to my family directly. Anyway, here
      is some information on Elijah Combs Baker:
      Born: 11 Apr 1825
      Place: Hazard, Perry, Kentucky
      Married: 4 May 1867 Poorfolk, Harlan, Kentucky to Mary N. Smith
      Died: 30 Oct 1917 Jaspar, Lane, Oregon

      I have also found that Elijah was previously married to a Jane Lewis.
      Also if anyone has any information on his two eldest daughters I am
      also looking for information on them. (sorry I have their names but
      I don't have them with me. I will post them later)

      Less specific topics I would like to talk about are the Spitler,
      Wike, and Hamilton lines of Pennsylvania.

      I look forward to posting with you all.

    • lenardb44
      Message 93 of 93 , Apr 15, 2014
        This article might be helpful
        In a message dated 4/15/2014 2:28:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lwspeggy344@... writes:
        the money & really want to know.
        Did you get connected with anyone who turned out to be related from