Please support your local societies

  • Vicki
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 9:23 AM
      Just wanted to remind everyone how important it is to support the
      local genealogical and historical societies in both time and
      donations. I live in a fairly small county in Illinois. We have such a
      good society and even a small museum that is maintained in it's own
      building. The library section and area for research is small but there
      are so many books and information from all over. In my travels, I have
      discovered just how nice it is for such a small county. I am still a
      believer in "hands on" genealogy whenever possible.

      With the onset of internet genealogy people are not visiting as often
      or joining as members. This is taking such a toll on the budget that
      they fear soon there will not be enough to continue. I am sure this
      is becoming an issue in many areas, not just my county. I just wanted
      to remind everyone that often there are often very good local sources
      of information--perhaps there are obit files, family files, info
      abstracted by volunteers from the courthouse records and alphabetized,
      copies of newspapers for the area, etc. Almost all societies will
      answer queries by mail or even telephone requests. Some require a
      small donation to cover copies and time but most who do the
      researching love what they do and go to extra lengths to search for
      what you need.