Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Some free sites and info-Karen

  • Sandra
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23, 2006
      Also, check with your library... often they have free access to Ancestry, and Heritage Quest, which you can use if you have a library card.
      Good luck,
      Sandra

      Vicki <muchwisernow_2000@...> wrote:
      One of the first things I do when I am looking for someone is to go to
      Google.com (or any other search engine) and type in their name.
      Sometimes something will come up that you can find further info on. If
      you know where the person of interest lived, or was born, or was
      married, you can search genealogy information for that county and
      state. Many states have early marriage records online. There are many
      free places to search and others will give your some favorites I am
      sure. Some are more specialized then others. There are also some links
      here in the group itself (over on the left hand side). A couple of the
      ones I have had good luck on are:

      http://www.familysearch.org/
      http://genforum.genealogy.com/
      http://www.ancestry.com/community/ (this part is free)
      http://www.usgenweb.com/
      http://www.cyndislist.com/

      "Karen G." <Want2bslim@...> wrote:

      > Are there any FREE sites to do searches on? I am
      > trying to find information about my grandmother. I
      > have her date of birth and date of death. I am trying
      > to find her maiden name.
      >
      > Karen G. in Alabama

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Lotus
      Message 2 of 10 , May 23, 2006
        I don't know about free (no such thing) but I have free access to all areas
        in ancestry.com until 31st May.
        What do you need to know?

        Lin

        > Are there any FREE sites to do searches on? I am
        > trying to find information about my grandmother. I
        > have her date of birth and date of death. I am trying
        > to find her maiden name.
        >
        > Karen G. in Alabama

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

      • Linda
        Message 3 of 10 , May 24, 2006
          Hi Karen,

          I'm fairly new to this list so I hope you don't mind my horning in on
          your conversation.

          > Are there any FREE sites to do searches on? I am
          > trying to find information about my grandmother. I
          > have her date of birth and date of death. I am trying
          > to find her maiden name.

          Besides the sites already mentioned, a couple of other good, free
          sites are:

          http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi &
          http://www.gencircles.com/globaltree/search

          However you would probably be better off to just do the necessary
          research. You said you have your grandmother's death date. Do you
          know where she died? If so, you can write for her death certificate,
          look for an obituary for her, or even check your parent's birth
          certificate. It would have her maiden name on it. If you have/had
          aunts and uncles (her other children) their birth records and
          marriage records would also show her maiden name.

          HTH,

          Linda
        • Karen G.
          Message 4 of 10 , May 24, 2006
            --- Linda <l.joy@...> wrote:
            > However you would probably be better off to just do
            > the necessary
            > research. You said you have your grandmother's death
            > date. Do you
            > know where she died? If so, you can write for her
            > death certificate,
            > look for an obituary for her, or even check your
            > parent's birth
            > certificate. It would have her maiden name on it.

            Actually, there is a mystery concerning my grandmother,
            and this is why I'm doing research. Her maiden name is
            one of two, Grant or North. Rumor has it that she had
            a previous relationship (not sure whether married or
            not) and that man was abusive to her. Apparently she
            had two children (daughters) from that relationship
            whom she left when she escaped from this man--this is
            so unlike the grandmother I knew, but things happen.
            My grandmother never talked about her past with hardly
            anyone. The only person who knew about all of this is
            dead.

            When I was looking around on www.familysearch.org
            yesterday, I did run across some records on my
            grandfather. The submitter was my mother's
            half-sister's daughter (my half-cousin?!?!?!). I have
            written to her and hope she has some info to share with
            me. Not sure how much she has done on my grandmother,
            though, since that was not her biological grandmother.

            Thanks for everyone's help!

            Karen G. in Alabama

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Jon P Czarowitz
            Message 5 of 10 , May 28, 2006
              Going to Ancestry and doing a search can result in finding a list
              like this one on your researched name. Also referrals to the MyFamily
              pages for that name.
              MyFamily, Inc owns Ancestry and has loads of surname pages where you
              might find yours. Good Luck.
              Jon
              ---