Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Some free sites and info-Karen

  • Karen G.
    Message 1 of 10 , May 23, 2006
      Thanks, Vicki!

      Karen G. in Alabama

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sandra
      Message 2 of 10 , May 23, 2006
        Also, check with your library... often they have free access to Ancestry, and Heritage Quest, which you can use if you have a library card.
        Good luck,
        Sandra

        Vicki <muchwisernow_2000@...> wrote:
        One of the first things I do when I am looking for someone is to go to
        Google.com (or any other search engine) and type in their name.
        Sometimes something will come up that you can find further info on. If
        you know where the person of interest lived, or was born, or was
        married, you can search genealogy information for that county and
        state. Many states have early marriage records online. There are many
        free places to search and others will give your some favorites I am
        sure. Some are more specialized then others. There are also some links
        here in the group itself (over on the left hand side). A couple of the
        ones I have had good luck on are:

        http://www.familysearch.org/
        http://genforum.genealogy.com/
        http://www.ancestry.com/community/ (this part is free)
        http://www.usgenweb.com/
        http://www.cyndislist.com/

        "Karen G." <Want2bslim@...> wrote:

        > Are there any FREE sites to do searches on? I am
        > trying to find information about my grandmother. I
        > have her date of birth and date of death. I am trying
        > to find her maiden name.
        >
        > Karen G. in Alabama

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Lotus
        Message 3 of 10 , May 23, 2006
          I don't know about free (no such thing) but I have free access to all areas
          in ancestry.com until 31st May.
          What do you need to know?

          Lin

          > Are there any FREE sites to do searches on? I am
          > trying to find information about my grandmother. I
          > have her date of birth and date of death. I am trying
          > to find her maiden name.
          >
          > Karen G. in Alabama

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • Linda
          Message 4 of 10 , May 24, 2006
            Hi Karen,

            I'm fairly new to this list so I hope you don't mind my horning in on
            your conversation.

            > Are there any FREE sites to do searches on? I am
            > trying to find information about my grandmother. I
            > have her date of birth and date of death. I am trying
            > to find her maiden name.

            Besides the sites already mentioned, a couple of other good, free
            sites are:

            http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi &
            http://www.gencircles.com/globaltree/search

            However you would probably be better off to just do the necessary
            research. You said you have your grandmother's death date. Do you
            know where she died? If so, you can write for her death certificate,
            look for an obituary for her, or even check your parent's birth
            certificate. It would have her maiden name on it. If you have/had
            aunts and uncles (her other children) their birth records and
            marriage records would also show her maiden name.

            HTH,

            Linda
          • Karen G.
            Message 5 of 10 , May 24, 2006
              --- Linda <l.joy@...> wrote:
              > However you would probably be better off to just do
              > the necessary
              > research. You said you have your grandmother's death
              > date. Do you
              > know where she died? If so, you can write for her
              > death certificate,
              > look for an obituary for her, or even check your
              > parent's birth
              > certificate. It would have her maiden name on it.

              Actually, there is a mystery concerning my grandmother,
              and this is why I'm doing research. Her maiden name is
              one of two, Grant or North. Rumor has it that she had
              a previous relationship (not sure whether married or
              not) and that man was abusive to her. Apparently she
              had two children (daughters) from that relationship
              whom she left when she escaped from this man--this is
              so unlike the grandmother I knew, but things happen.
              My grandmother never talked about her past with hardly
              anyone. The only person who knew about all of this is
              dead.

              When I was looking around on www.familysearch.org
              yesterday, I did run across some records on my
              grandfather. The submitter was my mother's
              half-sister's daughter (my half-cousin?!?!?!). I have
              written to her and hope she has some info to share with
              me. Not sure how much she has done on my grandmother,
              though, since that was not her biological grandmother.

              Thanks for everyone's help!

              Karen G. in Alabama

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Jon P Czarowitz
              Message 6 of 10 , May 28, 2006
                Going to Ancestry and doing a search can result in finding a list
                like this one on your researched name. Also referrals to the MyFamily
                pages for that name.
                MyFamily, Inc owns Ancestry and has loads of surname pages where you
                might find yours. Good Luck.
                Jon
                ---