Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Frederick Gobat

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 5 , May 18 7:26 AM
      Hello Carol,

      If you have records which tell you where Frederick
      August Gobat landed in 1851 that should also tell you
      the name of his ship. Also, in which Swiss canton was
      he born? You should be able to get cantonal records
      quite easily, as Switzerland has not been involved in
      any wars since 1815 and consequently all Swiss records
      have not been subject to destruction through wartime
      damage, as was the case with the records of many other
      European countries.

      Hope this helps.

      Ron in Geordieland
      --- cag <go1bie@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for replying. I am seeking the name of
      > the ship that Frederick August Gobat came to the US
      > from Switzerland on. I do not know the port he left
      > from. The information I have is that he landed in
      > NYC on June 7 1851. He was born in Swiitzerland on
      > February 6 1831. He is my great great grandfather.
      > Thank you in advance for any help on the ship name.
      > Carol G Hughes
      >

      > Carol

      > removed]

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Vicki
      Message 2 of 5 , May 20 1:30 PM
        Are you close to a library that would have Ancestry? they have a
        section on immigration but I am not sure to what extent it is. I would
        look in there for you, but I don't have mine anymore. Also, you might
        check out a series of books called "Germans to America".{Germans to
        America: Lists of Passengers Arriving at U.S. Ports 1850-1897, 1840s}.
        Since you know the date you might find him listed in there. I know he
        was born in Switzerland, but I believe there are more then Germans
        listed in the books. For both of those things you might have to travel
        to a larger library, but you might be able to have someone do a
        look-up at the library if they have that set of books instead of going
        in person. It helps having the date and name. Is it possible to
        contact the person who you got the information from and see where they
        got it?