Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Frederick Gobat

  • Ron Lahav
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16 2:36 AM
      Hello there,

      You did not provide me with any information, including
      your own name, that of your ancestor, your location,
      and the name of your ancestor. Please get back to me
      with these details and I will see what I can do.

      Cordially,

      Ron in Geordieland

      --- sodas1 <go1bie@...> wrote:

      > Would like info on ship. Immigrated from
      > Switzerland. My info has him
      > landing in New York Harbor, June 7, 1851.
      > Appreciate any help

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • cag
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16 3:10 PM
        Thank you for replying. I am seeking the name of the ship that Frederick August Gobat came to the US from Switzerland on. I do not know the port he left from. The information I have is that he landed in NYC on June 7 1851. He was born in Swiitzerland on February 6 1831. He is my great great grandfather. Thank you in advance for any help on the ship name. Carol G Hughes

        Carol

      • Ron Lahav
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18 7:26 AM
          Hello Carol,

          If you have records which tell you where Frederick
          August Gobat landed in 1851 that should also tell you
          the name of his ship. Also, in which Swiss canton was
          he born? You should be able to get cantonal records
          quite easily, as Switzerland has not been involved in
          any wars since 1815 and consequently all Swiss records
          have not been subject to destruction through wartime
          damage, as was the case with the records of many other
          European countries.

          Hope this helps.

          Ron in Geordieland
          --- cag <go1bie@...> wrote:

          > Thank you for replying. I am seeking the name of
          > the ship that Frederick August Gobat came to the US
          > from Switzerland on. I do not know the port he left
          > from. The information I have is that he landed in
          > NYC on June 7 1851. He was born in Swiitzerland on
          > February 6 1831. He is my great great grandfather.
          > Thank you in advance for any help on the ship name.
          > Carol G Hughes
          >

          > Carol

          > removed]

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Vicki
          Message 4 of 5 , May 20 1:30 PM
            Are you close to a library that would have Ancestry? they have a
            section on immigration but I am not sure to what extent it is. I would
            look in there for you, but I don't have mine anymore. Also, you might
            check out a series of books called "Germans to America".{Germans to
            America: Lists of Passengers Arriving at U.S. Ports 1850-1897, 1840s}.
            Since you know the date you might find him listed in there. I know he
            was born in Switzerland, but I believe there are more then Germans
            listed in the books. For both of those things you might have to travel
            to a larger library, but you might be able to have someone do a
            look-up at the library if they have that set of books instead of going
            in person. It helps having the date and name. Is it possible to
            contact the person who you got the information from and see where they
            got it?