Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for immigration

  • Susan Ball
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15 4:54 AM
      You know a lot already, good start. Here's a few sites to get you started -
      (also check the state and county records wherever your ancestor lived at
      time of Naturalization, they're often the best source for that - also see
      the state/county records at Rootsweb and FamilySearch.org)

      Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild - (ISTG)
      http://www.immigrantships.net/index.html

      German Genealogy Information & Resources - http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/

      Ellis Island Passenger Arrivals - http://www.ellisisland.org/

      Links for German Genealogy on the Internet -
      http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/germanlinks.html

      On 5/14/06, Christine <mcdowell_family2003@...> wrote:

      > The only thing I know is that he came over to the United States about
      > 1865/66 and I think he was naturalized in 1875. He came over from Geremany.
      > That is about all I know.
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote: Chris, there is wide
      > and varied information on immigration and
      > naturalization. We could be of much more help if you provided a
      > nationality
      > and time frame. Researching German immigration in the 1850's is much
      > different than research in Czech immigration of the early 1900's, for
      > example.
      >

      > > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for
      > immigration
      > >

      > > I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
      > > manifest. And also for naturalization too.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Chris

    • Ron Lahav
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15 5:10 AM
        Hello Christine

        Unless you know from what part of Germany he came,
        what port he sailed from, and at whaich US port he
        arrived I am afraid that you don't have enough to go
        on. FYI, there was no country known as Germany until
        1871, when a number of small and medium sized states
        were brought together under one roof, so to speak, as
        the German Em,pire. Before 1871 people did not refer
        to themselves as Germans but rather as Purssians,
        Bavarians, etc.

        Hope this helps.

        Ron in Geordieland

        http://mail.yahoo.com