Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for immigration

  • Susan Ball
    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2006
      Chris, there is wide and varied information on immigration and
      naturalization. We could be of much more help if you provided a nationality
      and time frame. Researching German immigration in the 1850's is much
      different than research in Czech immigration of the early 1900's, for
      example.

      > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for immigration
      >

      > I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
      > manifest. And also for naturalization too.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chris

    • Christine
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2006
        The only thing I know is that he came over to the United States about 1865/66 and I think he was naturalized in 1875. He came over from Geremany. That is about all I know.

        Chris

        Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote: Chris, there is wide and varied information on immigration and
        naturalization. We could be of much more help if you provided a nationality
        and time frame. Researching German immigration in the 1850's is much
        different than research in Czech immigration of the early 1900's, for
        example.

        > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for immigration
        >

        > I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
        > manifest. And also for naturalization too.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Chris

        http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~schwenker

      • Susan Ball
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2006
          You know a lot already, good start. Here's a few sites to get you started -
          (also check the state and county records wherever your ancestor lived at
          time of Naturalization, they're often the best source for that - also see
          the state/county records at Rootsweb and FamilySearch.org)

          Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild - (ISTG)
          http://www.immigrantships.net/index.html

          German Genealogy Information & Resources - http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/

          Ellis Island Passenger Arrivals - http://www.ellisisland.org/

          Links for German Genealogy on the Internet -
          http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/germanlinks.html

          On 5/14/06, Christine <mcdowell_family2003@...> wrote:

          > The only thing I know is that he came over to the United States about
          > 1865/66 and I think he was naturalized in 1875. He came over from Geremany.
          > That is about all I know.
          >
          > Chris
          >
          > Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote: Chris, there is wide
          > and varied information on immigration and
          > naturalization. We could be of much more help if you provided a
          > nationality
          > and time frame. Researching German immigration in the 1850's is much
          > different than research in Czech immigration of the early 1900's, for
          > example.
          >

          > > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for
          > immigration
          > >

          > > I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
          > > manifest. And also for naturalization too.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Chris

        • Ron Lahav
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2006
            Hello Christine

            Unless you know from what part of Germany he came,
            what port he sailed from, and at whaich US port he
            arrived I am afraid that you don't have enough to go
            on. FYI, there was no country known as Germany until
            1871, when a number of small and medium sized states
            were brought together under one roof, so to speak, as
            the German Em,pire. Before 1871 people did not refer
            to themselves as Germans but rather as Purssians,
            Bavarians, etc.

            Hope this helps.

            Ron in Geordieland

            http://mail.yahoo.com