Help for a good website for immigration

  • mcdowell_family2003
    Message 1 of 6 , May 13, 2006
      I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
      manifest. And also for naturalization too.

      Thanks,
      Chris
    • Clark & Rita Pederson
      Message 2 of 6 , May 14, 2006
        Chris

        Here is a good website on the naturalization process and naturalization
        records:

        http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/naturalization

        Clark

        Oregon

        _____

        I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
        manifest. And also for naturalization too.

        Thanks,
        Chris

        http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
        <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
        &siteid=18621718

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

        be>

        _____

      • Susan Ball
        Message 3 of 6 , May 14, 2006
          Chris, there is wide and varied information on immigration and
          naturalization. We could be of much more help if you provided a nationality
          and time frame. Researching German immigration in the 1850's is much
          different than research in Czech immigration of the early 1900's, for
          example.

          > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for immigration
          >

          > I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
          > manifest. And also for naturalization too.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Chris

        • Christine
          Message 4 of 6 , May 14, 2006
            The only thing I know is that he came over to the United States about 1865/66 and I think he was naturalized in 1875. He came over from Geremany. That is about all I know.

            Chris

            Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote: Chris, there is wide and varied information on immigration and
            naturalization. We could be of much more help if you provided a nationality
            and time frame. Researching German immigration in the 1850's is much
            different than research in Czech immigration of the early 1900's, for
            example.

            > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for immigration
            >

            > I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
            > manifest. And also for naturalization too.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Chris

            http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~schwenker

          • Susan Ball
            Message 5 of 6 , May 15, 2006
              You know a lot already, good start. Here's a few sites to get you started -
              (also check the state and county records wherever your ancestor lived at
              time of Naturalization, they're often the best source for that - also see
              the state/county records at Rootsweb and FamilySearch.org)

              Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild - (ISTG)
              http://www.immigrantships.net/index.html

              German Genealogy Information & Resources - http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/

              Ellis Island Passenger Arrivals - http://www.ellisisland.org/

              Links for German Genealogy on the Internet -
              http://home.att.net/~wee-monster/germanlinks.html

              On 5/14/06, Christine <mcdowell_family2003@...> wrote:

              > The only thing I know is that he came over to the United States about
              > 1865/66 and I think he was naturalized in 1875. He came over from Geremany.
              > That is about all I know.
              >
              > Chris
              >
              > Susan Ball <genealogy.researcher@...> wrote: Chris, there is wide
              > and varied information on immigration and
              > naturalization. We could be of much more help if you provided a
              > nationality
              > and time frame. Researching German immigration in the 1850's is much
              > different than research in Czech immigration of the early 1900's, for
              > example.
              >

              > > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Help for a good website for
              > immigration
              > >

              > > I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good site for immigration ship
              > > manifest. And also for naturalization too.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Chris

            • Ron Lahav
              Message 6 of 6 , May 15, 2006
                Hello Christine

                Unless you know from what part of Germany he came,
                what port he sailed from, and at whaich US port he
                arrived I am afraid that you don't have enough to go
                on. FYI, there was no country known as Germany until
                1871, when a number of small and medium sized states
                were brought together under one roof, so to speak, as
                the German Em,pire. Before 1871 people did not refer
                to themselves as Germans but rather as Purssians,
                Bavarians, etc.

                Hope this helps.

                Ron in Geordieland

                http://mail.yahoo.com