Okay, now what?

  • Judi Hardin
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2006
      So. I went to NARA and found the order-on-line thing. Got the form all
      filled out for my Confederate veteran, and was told, oops! He's a
      Confederate, gotta apply to the state he served in. Checked out the
      Missouri site--Missouri didn't start granting pensions to Confederate
      veterans until 1911, 4 years after mine died.

      Anybody got any ideas about where I can find more information about him and
      his unit? There must be forums and things... I'll start with Cindy's List,
      I guess, and Rootsweb message boards, but if anyone has any other places I
      could check, please let me know!

      Judi Hardin
      msjh@...

      The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates
    • Patricia Collins

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2006
          Patricia Collins writes:

          > What's your soldier's name Judi?

          Heh. You'll love this. Are you ready? His name is John Brown.

          His full name is John Hales Brown; he was born about 1841 in Breckinridge
          Co., KY, residing in Carroll Co., MO when he enlisted.

          Judi Hardin
          msjh@...

          The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates
        • Vicki
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23, 2006
            Did he have a widow? Perhaps she would have been getting a pension and
            you can get info from that file.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Judi Hardin" <msjh@...>
            wrote:

            > So. I went to NARA and found the order-on-line thing. Got the form
            all
            > filled out for my Confederate veteran, and was told, oops! He's a
            > Confederate, gotta apply to the state he served in. Checked out the
            > Missouri site--Missouri didn't start granting pensions to Confederate
            > veterans until 1911, 4 years after mine died.
            >
            > Anybody got any ideas about where I can find more information about
            him and
            > his unit? There must be forums and things... I'll start with
            Cindy's List,
            > I guess, and Rootsweb message boards, but if anyone has any other
            places I
            > could check, please let me know!
            >
            > Judi Hardin
            > msjh@...
            >
            > The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates

          • Tammy Jernigan
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 23, 2006
              I I found some info for you. I did not no what you needed, but here is what I could find for you.

              1870 census
              Name: John H Brown Estimated Birth Year: abt 1836 Age in 1870: 34 Birthplace: Kentucky Home in 1870: Union Star, Breckinridge, Kentucky Family and neighbors: View Results Race: White Gender: Male Value of real estate: View Image Post Office: Union Star
              1880 census
              Name: John H. Brown Age: 43 Estimated birth year: <1837> Birthplace: Kentucky Occupation: Farmer Relationship to head-of-household: Self Home in 1880: Forks Of Rough, Breckinridge, Kentucky Marital status: Married Race: White Gender: Male Spouse's name: Lucy A. Brown Father's birthplace: KY Mother's birthplace: KY

              TAMMY JERNIGAN

            • Judi Hardin
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 24, 2006
                Thanks, Tammy, but this isn't my guy. Let me see if I can get my chronology
                straight without my database here. In 1850 he and his family were living in
                Lafayette County, Missouri. In 1860, he and his family were living in
                Carroll Co., MO. From 1862 to 1865 he was away in the War. In 1870, he was
                next door in Chariton County, having married Drucilla Raiford Agee, probably
                between 1865 and 1870 (and I'm fortunate enough to have photos of the two of
                them--he's tall and lanky, and she's petite, classic Civil War-era hair,
                jewelry, and dress, and looks enough like my mother to have made me do a
                double-take the first time I saw the photo). They lived on the next farm
                down the road from her mother. Haven't been able to locate him in
                1880--Drucilla had died, and he'd left his two boys with his mother-in-law,
                Sidna Brooks Agee (who was quite the character, I think) and her oldest
                daughter Mariah V. Agee, and was off doing who knows what; he wasn't in
                Carroll Co. with the rest of his family (and I think there may be a story
                behind that...). Doesn't show up in the 1890 Veterans Schedule because he
                was a Reb. Is in the 1900 census, now married to Drucilla's older sister
                Mariah. Died in 1907; Mariah shows up living with his oldest son in the
                1910 and 1920 census. Lon, the son--the only one of his 5 children to live
                to adulthood--lived until 1957, and I can just barely remember him. So in a
                way, even though John H. and Drucilla lived a hundred and fifty years ago,
                they seem almost close enough for me to touch. Genealogy is amazing, isn't
                it?

                I wonder if the John H. Brown you found living in Breckinridge KY in 1870
                and 1880 is a cousin? His father had at least one brother, and his
                great-grandfather had 5 or 6 sons. People used to move in groups of
                relatives back then--a couple of brothers, a cousin, someone's in-laws--but
                there were always people who stayed behind. I appreciate your looking for
                him--this gives me another branch to investigate next time I run into a
                brick wall and need something to distract me. :)

                Judi Hardin
                msjh@...

                The misuse of language induces evil of the soul - Socrates

                > I found some info for you. I did not no what you needed,
                > but here is what I could find for you.
                >
                > 1870 census
                > Name: John H Brown Estimated Birth Year: abt
                > 1836 Age in 1870: 34 Birthplace: Kentucky Home
                > in 1870: Union Star, Breckinridge, Kentucky Family and
                > neighbors: View Results Race: White Gender: Male
                > Value of real estate: View Image Post Office: Union Star

                > 1880 census
                > Name: John H. Brown Age: 43 Estimated birth
                > year: <1837> Birthplace: Kentucky Occupation: Farmer
                > Relationship to head-of-household: Self Home in 1880:
                > Forks Of Rough, Breckinridge, Kentucky Marital status:
                > Married Race: White Gender: Male Spouse's name:
                > Lucy A. Brown Father's birthplace: KY Mother's birthplace: KY

                > TAMMY JERNIGAN
              • Patricia Collins
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 27, 2006
                  Judi,

                  Have you tried these links?

                  http://www.rootsweb.com/~mocivwar/mocwindex.html
                  http://www.rootsweb.com/~mocivwar/MOlink.html

                  Pat

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1 11:33 AM

                    > Judi,
                    >
                    > Have you tried these links?
                    >
                    > http://www.rootsweb.com/~mocivwar/mocwindex.html
                    > http://www.rootsweb.com/~mocivwar/MOlink.html
                    >
                    > Pat

                    Er, what I *meant* to say is, yes, thanks, I have seen them. There is a
                    reenactors group for his regiment--the link from the rootsweb site is dead,
                    but I did track down the website--problem is that there doesn't seem to be
                    an e-mail link. I'll keep searching, though.

                    Thanks, Pat!

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1 1:46 PM
                      Okay Judi, you have me confused here. I clicked on these links and they worked, but didn't persue the names you listed.

                      Pat